Register now to get rid of these ads!

39 vs 40 pedal assemlies

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fuel pump, Sep 14, 2008.

1. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

Can someone tell me the basic differences between 39 and 40 pedal assemblies. Per the restorers I'm told the 39s are more popular with the hotrodders. Why is this? And if I decide to go with a different pedal assy on my 38 what would be the better choice?

2. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

The '39 assembly is the only hydraulic setup with the clutch linkage rod hookup on the side nearest the drivetrain. Starting in '40, it was on the clutch pedal itself on the side nearest the outside of the frame.

3. the reason they are popular is they make converting hydraulic brakes on `35-`38 ford easy. they have the master cylinder mount and the correct clutch linkage as Heathen described

4. sawzall

sawzall

i think a 40 pedal assembly will only work in a 40 frame (as I think 40 frames have different holes for the pedal assembly)

40 pedals into a 35 - 39 frame dont BOLT in ( i think)

can someone correct me if I am wrong..

5. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

I'm not all that concerned about weather there are holes in the frame are in the right location or not. I want to understand if one design offers more advantages or options than the other. In other words is it easier to put a duel master cylinder on one of these or is one easier to use an ECI pedal assembly.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2008
  6. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

The 39 makes it easier to hook up the early Ford clutch linkage.

Either one will have the 3 bolt early Ford M/cyl flange. They make a 3 bolt to 2 bolt adapter to use a 2 bolt dual M/cyl with either pedal assembly.

7. rustymetal

rustymetal

tommy who makes the3 bolt to 2 bolt adapter ?

8. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

Shouldn't the 39 clutch linkage should be the same as my 38 linkage????

9. Chassis Engineering makes the adapter Tommy described..i think they are around $25

ad for what will work better for you , what are you putting it in? what tranny/clutch?

i'm not sure what you mean by the ECI pedal assembly question...i don't think you can use both if that is what you mean

10. yes , basically it is....a `39 pedal assembly will get you a place to mount a master cylinder for hydraulic brakes PLUS it will connect up to your clutch

if you used the `40 pedal assemby , you would still have the master cylinder...BUT the clutch pedal will not hook right up to your existing clutch

11. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

I'll be useing the stock tranny and clutch. What I want to know is if I can keep the 38 pedal assembly and just replace the stock 38 brake pedal with the ECI brake pedal.

12. as far as i can understand , the ECI setup replaces your existing pedals entirely ....i see no way for it to be used with a clutch

13. 36tbird

36tbird

Fuel Pump, if you search on the Early Ford V-8 website, you may find a guy who offers a set-up where you keep your stock pedals and adapt hydraulics. I think the master cylinder winds up being mounted in another part of the frame and you run actuating rods from the stock pedals to it.

The '39 and '40 pedal assys' bolt patterns to the frame are the same and are different from earlier pedal carriers. Another thing not mentioned if you went with the more plentiful '40 pedal assy is that you would have to change the throw out bearing cross shaft rod. Yours has a lever mounted to it and later '40's have like a big screw driver that fits into the frame cross shaft.

I have a choice '39 pedal assy if you decide to go that way, but I'm kinda proud of it. They come up on the 'bay and usually need rebuilding, this one does not. You can PM me if you decide you need a '39 assy and cannot find one elsewhere. Also, as a fellow hamber, I will be glad to send you a template for the '39/'40 assys and their appoximate mounting location if you need it. (I don't want to come across as a total, greedy, a-hole.)

14. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Try this email address. [email protected] He makes a complete bolt on system that uses your pedal assembly. He knows his stuff and can help you with your needs. Probably the guy that 36tbird is talking about. I think it's pricey but so are 39 pedal assemblies.

15. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

Tommy,
    Yes Richard does know his stuff. I have his literature and am considering his bolt on system. As you said it is pricy but it reduces some problems and totally elminates others.

16. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

You might want to check out Mart's post on 32 brakes. I don't have a mental picture of the 38 pedals in the frame but it's not rocket science to modify the stock brake pedal and make your own M/cyl mount like Mart did. More food for thought.

17. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Just took delivery of my '36 pickup - someone put '40 pedals in, converted to a '40-style clutch linkage - including frame reinforcement under the pivot! A well-done conversion...

18. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

the biggest difference is in the manner in which the assembly operates. 39s, though juice brake, is the same as a 36-38 in that the shaft running through the assembly moves to operate the clutch with a clevis. On the '40-'48, the shaft is stationary and the pedal moves what's called an equilizer shaft. the pedal has a clevis cast into it. and it then has a clevis rod that moves the equilizer shaft.

So, like others say with the '39 pedal assembly being basically identical to the 36-38 style it makes bolting it in a breeze. PM me if you need a hand, went through something similar with my '36 but i made a bracket because i couldn't locate a 39 assembly. Thanks to Flat Ernie too for the inspiration ;)

Also, check out these schematics, it will explain it better.
    early:
    http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/FH_images/FH_trans-pics/Flathead_Clutchassy_1935-39_85hp.jpg
    later:
    http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/FH_images/FH_trans-pics/Flathead_Clutchassy_1940-48_85hp.jpg

19. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

the clutch fork shaft needs to be switched if you're using a 40-48 clutch/brake assembly. (this is also why i didn't use the 46 assembly i had since i would have had to pull the engine again to get to the shaft).the early style has a clevis, the later style has a keyed slot thing with a pin that goes through. the schematic will show this too ^^

20. 39 Ford

39 Ford

I have a 39 petal assembly in my 39 and made a bracket to use a late ford MC on it. I cut the weld on the clutch shaft and rotated it 180 degrees, using a bellcrank on the block and an extended arm it works the clutch on my small block/4 speed.

21. The 39 pedals do not simply "bolt in" 38-prior cars. You have to do a little trimmin to get the MC to clear the frame (enlarge a factory hole), and do a little tweakin here and there. Not too big of a deal, but it is not a simple "4 bolts to tighten, bleed the brakes and were off" type of a deal.

22. i have the chassis engineering one, it's not too clear on their site but it eliminates your clutch pedal....it's made to put a th350 in there. i looked at my '47 and i couldn't even use the adapter because it put the ear of the new master into the frame.

23. 36tbird, you still got the 39 pedals? If so, what do you want for them? flatheadnut0