Register now to get rid of these ads!

how to build NICE model a door hinges for cheap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by indawaitinroom, Oct 1, 2008.

1. oh and btw, it took me much longer to write this tech that it did to make a set of hinges! the first COMPLETE set i made took me 8 hours total, setup, weld grind, everything. so dont get discouraged thinkin its not worth the work to make them vs. buying them.

im not superhuman, see, im just a regular dude

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 1, 2008
  2. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

Great Tech and very well done with all the pic's.

3. 64LeSabre455

64LeSabre455
    from Adkins, Tx

Nice Tech post. Very informative. I even think I could do this.

4. dieselc

dieselc
    from ohio

One of the best techs I've seen on here in awhile, good job.

5. Noland

Noland

you may be a regular dude but you make look like you know what you doing and thats what counts and thanks for the information

6. Ice man

Ice man

WOW I doing my doors and hinges as we speak. I feel real fortunate. Removed the screws and pins and sanded the hinges and ready for paint. I guess mines not to bad when I see the original ones you got. Ice man

7. yeah most people are lucky and dont need new hinges, but some of us have been tryin to find some and have had no luck. i posted a want add on here months ago with no response, been combing ebay, craigslist, harassing model a resoration dudes, and no one has any forsale besides new ones to the tone of around $80 a piece. then id still have to drill em and live with bronze hinges. i feel much better with the ones i made now.

thanks everyone who has enjoyed this tech, hope it can help someone like myself whod rather spend $320 on an open drive conversion or an intake or something cooler than a lousy set of bronze hinges!

Sergeant82d likes this.
  8. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

REALLY great TECH!! Amazing when you think things out to their basic forms, Good JOB!

Dang those hinges were ROUGH! They've recovered better artifacts off the Titanic.

9. beater32

beater32

Great post.Been thinking about making some for a 32,now i will.Thanks for sharing

10. hell yeah! i was hoping this tech could also show how to make most hinges of this style, the concept is the same no matter what year/make/model car, i just happened to need some for a 30-31 model a closed car, but im sure you can make a nice set for your 32 with no problems!

11. Vergil

Vergil

Great post thanks for sharing, great job.

Vergil

12. Tony

Tony

Hey Mat, GREAT tech!!
    Exactly what i would expect from you.:)

Thanks for taking the time to photo and post this. I'm sure it will come in handy for many people.
    Now, why don't you move into the city, open a shop and i'll come work for you??!:D

I was just out your way sat.. I'm sure i'll be out there again in the near future so i'll drop in and see whats new at the shop...and bug you guys again.haha

Tony

Last edited: Oct 1, 2008
  13. Cruiser

Cruiser

:D Excellent thread - great work.........

CRUISER :cool:

14. Homemade44

Homemade44

Great tech post. Thanks for sharing how you made the hinges.

Joe

15. Thanks for a really well put together tech!

16. Thank you for taking the time to do an excellent post about a problem that all car restorers and hot rodders will run across. Very well done. Thank You

17. vexner

vexner

Great Thread!! Thanks for taking the time to share,pictures make all the difference

18. Big Todd

Big Todd
    from Ferrum Va.

Great post! I've been lookin for hinges too!

19. Slickster51_50

Slickster51_50

Hey how bout i send you the hinges for my 32 chevy 5 window coupe and you can charge me to build a set cause no one reproduces them that i have found and model a hinges are a little different from mine so they wont work!What you charge a poor basterd to do somethin like that?

20. We have a winner!!!

21. NoSurf

NoSurf

Very nicely done.

22. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

23. The37Kid

The37Kid

One of the best Tech feature I've ever seen HAMB or otherwise. Thanks for the great photos and commentary, you have inspired a lot of people to get in the shop and make or repair something.

24. rodbuilderUK

rodbuilderUK

Thanks for posting that, perfect timing as I have to make a pair for my B Truck as one door came without them.

25. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

26. jivin jer

jivin jer

thank you very much!these kinds of detailed techs are just what the retiree's are looking for.it's the kind of thind that makes the Hamb so unique and unlike anything else on the web.BITCHIN!!!!!!!!!!!

27. 95SVTL

95SVTL

It is cool what can be done when you have the right tools

28. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

What a great presentation. The ideas are fabulous. Thanks for sharing with us.
    Now this post needs to be in our tech files not lost with missing pictures either.
    The work that goes into these is enormous. Thanks again.

29. Thank You,great "Tech Post".

30. Doctor Destructo

Doctor Destructo

Absolutely terrific.
    Your step-by-step descriptions and photos were so good, even a bone-head like me understood what you were "teaching".
    Thanks!