Register now to get rid of these ads!

best way to stop rust in hard to reach places

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Topolino Kid, Sep 30, 2008.

1. what is the best way to remove or stop rust in areas where you can not access for media blasting???there are a few places on my topolino that you can put a finger on but there is no way to blast or sand them...rust sealers, converters????is bascily just mild surface rust but want to cancel it out...other problem is it is on parts that are not removeable from main car body............ideas???????????????

2. Some thing i do is soak a rag shop towels in 90 wt gear oil and stuff it in cab corners and other places where rust can develope. Works for me been doing it for 40 years:) OldWolf

3. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Ive heard of people filling small areas with grease....

found a rocker panel once filled with grease,..it never rusted.

just a thought.

4. 8-Track

8-Track

90wt gear lube will smell up the car forever. I use seam sealer before painting.

5. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

When I did my 37 frame I used the full POR treatment. For places I couldn't get to, I made an XL swab from of old T-shirt scraps tied around the end of a straighten coat hangar. That way I could get the various anti-rust solutions and and top coats inside pockets and between the inner and out frame rails. Gary

6. There is a product from England, where they really know their rust, called Waxoyl. An English panel beater friend of mine turned me on o this stuff. You can spray it into all those nooks and crannies that you otherwise can't get to and it seems to really stop the rust and the creep that rust loves to do. Many english restorers swear by it!

7. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

8. Ziebart used a circle fan sprayer that they stuck into cracks and sprayed their stuff. I assume they are available somewhere from a auto tool supply source.

9. Bullyboy

Bullyboy

Picklex20 works well.
    I use it as a prep for all my powder coat parts.

10. \
    I always smell like gas ,diesel,oil and gear grease any way:eek:When i was dating my wife she stated that i wore the same colone her dad used. He ran a gas station never used any kind of smell good:cool:OldWolf

11. Vorhese

Vorhese

A product made right here in South San Francisco
    Fluid Film
    http://www.eurekafluidfilm.com/

We have salty fog here and it's been working great on my rust spots on chrome, and I spray it inside my doors and stuff.

12. 35WINDOW

35WINDOW

13. Don't forget LPS#3, sprays on, dries to a waxy film, protects bare metal outside in the elements for 2 years, should last indefinitely inside.

14. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

15. T_Bird Guy

T_Bird Guy

POR 15 is really good stuff. 3M also makes a product called rust fighter that can be sprayed into hard to reach areas.

16. i should have stated it better...i have places that has rust that i can't remove...which of these will stop the rust process...it is mainly light surface rust.........

17. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

No joke... I put an axle in the back of my car two years ago and some of the gear oil leaked out... I cleaned it up and it still stinks in there, but it's nothing my B.O. can't cover up.

18. T McG

T McG
    from Phoenix

POR-15 is the greatest, just don't get it on your skin.

19. Jason of Oakland

Jason of Oakland

Interesting idea...I was cleaning the wheel wells of my 55 Chevy and found asphalt packed in the headlight brows. I thought the grandpa that owned it just ran over a recently paved road. Maybe he did it on purpose. No rust at all in that area.

20. Jason of Oakland

Jason of Oakland

Zero Rust also works well. From what I have read POR-15 sounds like a pain, at least Zero Rust can be loaded in a gun and sprayed.

21. BELLM

BELLM

I'm using the 3M Rust Fighter internal panel coating, that T Bird Guy mentions, in hard to reach places on the Nomad. Got a Body Schutz gun, the Rust Fighter Wand, a 3' long flexible plastic tube made to fit the gun. Can get damn near anywhere with the plastic tube. Doesn't kill rust but seals & coats to prevent rust.

22. SlamIam

SlamIam

POR-15 in all those hidden places on my projects