Register now to get rid of these ads!

All time greatest engine?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by exwestracer, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Come on now, you know you wanted "Lovey" - Mrs. Howell!

2. well put!:d

3. blown41

blown41

PS..SBC..!!

Just because so many guys want 'em don't make 'em boring..just like snatch..we all like 'em..and spend a great deal of our life looking for good ones..![/quote]

Just like SBC's, if you close your eyes and plug your nose, they're all good! :D

4. Early hemis are boat anchors, Allison V-16 is the only way to go.

5. Tell that to Don Garlits.

6. I repeat:

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..............

7. metalshapes

metalshapes

I humbly appologise we werent able to create a Thread that was more to your liking.

Now shut up, and quit talking in your sleep... :D

8. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Chrysler Hemi (early version)
    Olds Rocket
    Buick Nailhead
    Lincoln Y block /Ford Merc Y
    Packard 352
    Chrysler B block
    Flathead V8
    Pontiac
    SBF
    BBC
    BBF
    SBC

9. CadillacCorey

CadillacCorey

I have to agree with this, and yes, Hudson ruled Nascar in the early fifties. As a matter of fact, there was a lot of grumbling as to whether or not the Twin-H intake should be banned or not, because it was barely considered a stock item. As for traditional hot rods, Flathead would be my first choice, it started the whole damned thing anyhow, followed by early Hemi (Firepower, Firedome, or Red Ram), Nailhead, and Oldsmobile Rocket. I know SBC's are easy cheap and plentiful, but I just don't like seeing 98% of rods with one in it. A little variety can go a long way. Now if we're talking dream engine? Allison V-16.

10. Locomotive Breath

Locomotive Breath
    from Texas

I'd like to see one them there Allison V-16's, they are very rare indeed.

11. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

Anyone else ever looked at a Flathead and an sbc side by side and wondered if GM was taking the formula that made the Flathead great and applied it to their own V8 engine? it's quite obvious what they were thinking. I mean some of the similarities are uncanny, and in no way do I mean this to diminish what Chevy was able to accomplish with their small block V8. In fact if you wanna know the truth Caddy and Olds built on the compact lightweight V8 theme 6 years prior with their own V8 engines. Chevy just trumped them by going smaller lighter and cheaper. Before these examples I mentioned GM made good and fairly powerful straight 6's and 8's for the most part. The Cad V8, 12 and 16 engines were not used much I assume because they were large and heavy albeit very good for their design applications.

My opinion is this. The Flathead Ford V8 is the greatest hot rod engine not because it has'nt been superceded or out powered by later advancements like the OHV V8's of the `50's or the exquisite designs of some of the sports car engines like the Alfa's and Jags of the day, but rather it was THE engine which established the formula for all the great engines that follewed. It was simple and tough. Lightweight and responsive. Had good interchageability yet was continuosely improved. They were easy to work on and fit the smallest engine bays. They sound great and kick you in the ass when you stomp the accellerator. They for the most part were the platform by which the founding fathers of our sport launched their careers, the biggest result being the aftermarket speed equipment industry we have today. I can think of many engines that have benefitted from the aftermarket speed industry (especially the sbc) but one engine IMO more than any other actually caused the speed industry to blossom and that was the Flathead Ford V8.

12. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

They were built mostly on overtime. Otherwise you only had time for 12 cylinders.

13. speed-kings

speed-kings

Personally, Im a nailhead guy, but I'm going with the flathead.

14. Casey

Casey
    Member Emeritus

I will stick with the flathead as the greatest engine ever :cool:
    not the fastest or cheapest by any means but dam cool !
    great motors
    sbc`s are for camaros

15. Fenders

Fenders

Ha ha doesn't that tell you it's the SBC?
    But you cant beat the look of the Ford flattie.

16. Locomotive Breath

Locomotive Breath
    from Texas

I was wondering about that ;)

17. BLAINE 816

BLAINE 816

If you were there in 1957 when the 283 /fi engine hit the market , you would have thought like most of us will it ever get better than this?
    And man did it ever. The sbc went on to win more races, bring more people into motor sports than all the others combined. What a history.

18. -Brent-

-Brent-

Bluto... I always admire your posts and train-of-thought.

I think the most popular is the SBC, hands down. It's used in every automotive hobby. They are easy and there's a ton of aftermarket support. That's never sounded too much fun to me though. Somehow, I've been sucked into inline chevy engines and although I'm a fan of them, I wouldn't say they're the best. They're just what I like.

In the future, I'd like to build an early 30's Ford pickup with a 331 Hemi and then again it's only because it's something I'd like to use.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  19. HUH? :eek:

Don't know about the Allison, but the Marmon 16 was hands down the most awesome automotive engine of it's day. 5 liters and 200HP in 1930. Think about that for a minute. I think it took about 25 years for anybody else to get back to that specific output...

20. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Don't know where the 5 liter figger came from. 491 cubic inches is what I hear. Somewhat larger than 302.

21. repoguy

repoguy

It must be difficult knowing that your grandmother's dog's asshole can outrun your flathead. :D

22. dla4567

dla4567
    from callery pa

WOW you got a sbc in your hot rod, I'm going to rush over to see that!!!
    (sarcasim)

23. DOH! You're right...8.1 liter advertised. Don't know where the hell I heard that 5L number. Cars were said to be 4.65 lb/hosepower, which ain't too shabby in any case. A few of those engines were used at Indy, the Lakes, and Bonneville too.

24. jonny o

jonny o

The same thing that makes the sbc such a hated mill on this bored is that it always wins this argument.... therefore it's uncool.

25. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OK, how about the Cox 049 Tee Dee nitro motor? I had dozens of those suckers.

26. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Hahaha! Ya know Doc, an old guy at work has a bunch of really old Cox engine's (and others), as his dad owned a hobby distribution center back in the 50's-60's. Some smaller than .049 too.
    Really cool stuff!

RrrrrrrRRrrrrrrRRrrrrrrrrRrrrrrrrr.................:D

27. RacerRick

RacerRick

I dunno. I have that exact motor, but with a TH400 sitting on the floor at the shop. The 327 has the #1 rod hanging out the drivers side of the block.

28. I may get horse laughed for this but I think the Buick 455 is highly under rated. They are very light, make gobbs of torque and have great hot rod potential, especially for street duity. I know it's just shy of what would be considered a "traditonal" engine but a good engine is a good engine. BBB gets my vote.

29. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Ha! dont bother ,, I'll be gone before you get here....so fast it will make your head spin...

(sarcasim too):D

30. 49coupe

49coupe

Like it or not, there's a reason a lot of rods had SBCs in them; cheap and fast. So between the "classic" hot rod engine it's really between a SBC and a flathead in my opinion. Olds, Buick, Caddy and Hemis were always desireable, but not always affordable; both then and now.

1. SBC
    2. Flathead
    3. Olds
    4. Hemi
    5. Caddy and Nailhead
    6. SBF