Register now to get rid of these ads!

Gas line fittings

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bilko-1949, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Bilko-1949

Bilko-1949
    1. GMB

Dumb question but I have to ask. What are you using to seal your gas line fittings? Such as when you connect the gas line to the fuel pump.

2. If it's 1/8 pipe thread use tape are sealer. If it's the flare fitting you shouldn't need anything.

3. Koz

Koz

Ditto above. Flares, AN or Sae don't take anything. MIP and FIP I just use white Teflon tape from Lowes. Never any problems.

4. mikeilgatto

mikeilgatto

I did a search and found this thread. I've been trying to replace my fuel line that is the flare type so I got a brake line and bent it to the right shape but I can't get a good seal on it. At the fuel pump it's ok but at the carb it barely leaks, I can't seem to get it tight enough. I'm thinking after reading this thread I need to try mip or fip fittings. But I do that do you guys have any tricks of the trade for getting the flared type to seal?
    And mip/fip is hose type to brass fittings right?

5. Road Runner

Road Runner

Flared fittings don't need much tightening to seal well.
    If one doesn't, inspect for wear or damage, which can come from overtightening.
    Once they are overtightened, they are getting harder and harder to seal and need to be replaced.

I have used NPT compression fittings without problems at the carbs for years on my daily rides.
    Paste thread sealer is safer than tape, without pieces getting lose and plugging the lines.

Compression fittings as with any undamaged fittings, don't need much tightening.
    Just go slow, only little turning at a time until the leak stops.

6. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

Please do not use teflon tape on fuel fittings.. 1 little strip can and will plug a needle and seat ( and other small passages in the carb ) If you need to use sealer at all- use liquid teflon, or rectorseal ( no joke, it's a real thread sealer).
    And while we are on the subject...Do not use silicone anywhere on a carb or fuel system. When it dries (and it will ! ) you might as well throw the carb away.
    Silicone + gas = bad....
    Dave