Register now to get rid of these ads!

y block weight

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dirtbag13, Sep 17, 2008.

1. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

looking to put a new motor in my 29 model a pickup set up with iron duke chevy 2 4 banger now ! have a decent 292 y block located wondering how much more it weighs vs a small block ford worried about too much weight over the front axle & handling i know many people are probably running these motors no probblems just curious seeing as i plan to log many miles on this truck & would like decent highway manners !thanks!

2. kustombypook

kustombypook

A y-block is 625 lbs plus fluids and a Ford-O-Matic trans is, I believe, 250 lbs plus fluids.

3. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

thank u very much desert rat rodder just the info i was looking for ! still would like to hear from a few running a similar set up ?

4. 28chevrat

28chevrat

I'm running a 292, but where I saved some weight is ditching the cast iron ford-o-matic and wnet to a C4....This is in a 31 A pick up

5. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

i have a toploader 4 speed already to go behind it but not sure i can get 3 pedals situated comfy enough 4 myself also have a built aod that needs a home realize i would have to buy an adapter aod is a pretty heavy unit itself though !

6. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

thanks 28 chev rat curious whos adapter you used?

7. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

I have a 312 with a 4spd toploader & cast bellhousing in my 29 PU. My frame is fully boxed. I have no problems with drivablity or handling. Being in M'town you've maybe seen my PU. I'm not sure I know your car though.

8. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

thanks cornfed yes i know your truck drooled over it a couple of times ! its jack kyles old truck from gilman the little chevys fine for cruising around but being a die hard ford guy i'm wanting a vintage powerplant but was worried about the weight ?

9. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

Ok having mentored under a old ford mechanic i'm having a hard time believing what the kid told me about this motor ! Mainly that he didnt have the block magnufluxed worries me its a truck block supposed to haveless then 50 miles on it new isky cam bored 40 over and cast iron 4 barrel intake kids hard up for money as he just quit his job whats a fair price to offer him i hate to take advantage of his situation! He said the bloch was hot tanked after i asked him about the oil galleys

10. Well, you picked a heavy enough motor for your car. It is the setup I was going to use in my model A, with a T5 trans.

I had a real low mileage rebuild in a still driveable wrecked car that I foolishly sold for $900 about 5 years ago. To rebuild one is close to, and usually over $2000.

Get all the #'s from the block, heads, crank, etc, and look at John Mummert's Y block site.
    It will decode it all, and you will know what you have.
    alot of the 62 truck blocks C2TE had steel cranks and better rods.

Of course it does depend on the price.

11. y'sguy

y'sguy
    from Tulsa, OK

You don't see to many y's in rods, which is a perfect reason to do it.
    Needless to say I think it would make a perfect setup. As stated before use Mummerts site for #'s etc. and go to www.y-blocksforever.com to get more info from guys who really know the deal on the y.
    I use a Bendstens aluminum adapter on my stroker 292 mated to a FORD AOD. great Hiway cruising with 300+ horses.

12. 28chevrat

28chevrat

sorry dirtbag forgot about this post
    I'M using Flat O products adapter. It will set you back like $500 but I think its well worth it. I had no problems with it and installation was smooth.The AOD adapter is a good option too but out of my price range.
    Did you buy the motor??

13. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

going back to look at it this weekend and take some cash gonna see if 400 will take it i dont want to spend a ton going on what he says its a fresh motor but i like to build my stuff bulletproof sounds like a bored 292 with cast pistons & a new cam to me has a set of the good heads not on it but i believe theyre both the same side ! he has gotten into small block fords which i have a ton of parts for so we may do some swapping also !have to decide if i can live with a motor i havent had my hands in or whether to go buy a 312 core for 75$ i have located and spend some bucoo bucks but know when i'm done it will be right ! will keep u posted thanks everyone for the help!

14. P-townkustoms

P-townkustoms
    from P-Town CA

btt Just posted a ton of good stuff for sale in the classified under Parts... PM me if you need y-block stuff.

15. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

I'd heard Jack had sold that truck. Pulling that little Chevy outta there might be tempting. But be ready to cut into your firewall to get a Ford (Y or SBF) to fit. To make my 312 fit, I slid my cab backwards on the frame 4", put in a flat firewall, and still had to make a notch for the dizzy. On my full fendered 29 coupe with a 302, I had to recess the firewall a ton - something like 9".

Being a die hard Ford guy, ya might want to look into how long a Flathead would be. Sticking a C4 behind one of those might a good option if ya don't want to loose too much legroom.

16. y'sguy

y'sguy
    from Tulsa, OK

The heads on a yblock are innerchangable. You will have to change the bung in the head fo the sending unit or the freeze plug to make either side work. Also FYI, the pads if unmilled should measure 1" thick.

17. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

thanks for the info cornfed luckily it has the brookville recessed firewall i realize things will still be tight as i have a foam 302 mock up block & holding it up there looked like there wouldnt be much room for a fan unless electric which i hate to do are the y blocks a little shorter than the small blocks ? i have thought of the flat head my uncle knows a guy that has an old race flathead & is supposed to get in contact with him although with my taste i'm worried how much it would cost to dress it the way i want ! y blocks seem to not be far behind though in price but i'm willing to live with that 2 have sompthing a little diffrent & for some strange reason have always been drawn to the y block heard they have a sound all there own too !

18. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

oh also forgot to mention a buddy of mine has a mccullouh supercharger sitting on his shelf with my name on it for $200 if i decide i want it broken pulley & no mounts this stuff can be found or is reproduced i believe though?