Register now to get rid of these ads!

Proper etiquette when dealing with magazine guys???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hot Rod To Hell, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Do you know what magazine it's for? If so, if your pics pass muster for what they've run before, then you need to contact the photographer and go over your concerns.

I've been a contributor to an OT car magazine, and the photography really ranges depending on who shot the pics.

2. NotStockPhoto

NotStockPhoto

As usual Kirk is right on.......there should be a fonzie on that post lol

3. Hot Rod To Hell

Hot Rod To Hell
    from Flint MI

Yep, I signed a release...

4. NotStockPhoto

NotStockPhoto

Just e-mail the editor and relay your concerns its probably your only course of action. It also saves you telling someone else that someone has already shot it that might do a better job, and give it a better chance of running.

5. Church

Church
    from South Bay

Skwurl.........

it means you can have a bitchin' car and smokin' hot girl and still take a shitty photo of it. A good, or better yet, great photo isn't dependent on the subject matter. A good photographer should be able to take a good photo of pretty much anything.

On a side note, In high school I used to have a business card with a pic I took of funny car driver Dave Benjamin engulfed in flames on it. It said Hot Shotz (yes....with a z) Photography. "You crash it, we flash it." I was far from professional. The best part was my dad once said Benjamin would be better of in a front engine jet car. Makes me laugh every time.

6. You oughta post that pic of ol' Nasty Dave, Coby.

7. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

My 12 year old has a digital camera and some free time. Want me to send him up?

8. skwurl

skwurl

Thanks for explaining Road Apple.

9. OLLIN

OLLIN

I thought I had heard them all too...

I have no idea what it means, but it sounds freakin nasty.. hahaha

10. Rick Sis

Rick Sis
    from Tulsa OK

If someone comes up with a couple of skanks at a cluttered event, using existing lighting with a hand held camera, I would think it's pretty evident that he ain't shooting a feature for any rag that you would want your car in. General show coverage shots, maybe.

11. Hot Rod To Hell

Hot Rod To Hell
    from Flint MI

It was MY car.

There was no money involved... They saw my car at a show, and tracked me down later.

They had me meet them at a private location for the shoot.

They were shooting some other cars for different magazines at the same location, that's why there were so many other people and cars around.

The issue is: if my car is going to be featured in a magazine, I'd like it to be a well done feature.
    If it's a bunch of bullshit photos with terrible composition, people will notice the fucked up-edness of the shoot more than my car.

12. Lucky77

Lucky77

Hey Steve, he's shooting my car Sunday at noon Under the overpass by Elwald's Pub in Oldtown Saginaw. So he'll be working somewhat locally that day. He also said he's shooting somebody's Merc right before mine. Maybe you can work something out with him if you're not happy. We can discuss the threesome Rich mentioned later.

13. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Thats the best way to cover up all the bondo and defects ...

Dave

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

14. Hot Rod To Hell

Hot Rod To Hell
    from Flint MI

Well, I could, except for two things...

I have plans for Sunday, and I can't afford the fuel to drive it to Saginaw and back.

15. BigNick1959

BigNick1959

The fact is that any Joe Blow can submit photos to any magazine for publication, if they like um, they buy and print them. I know becouse I used to get stuff in the bike rags in the 80's.
    To weed out the wannabe photogs, ask to see their portfoilo and the magazines that they have been published in with photo credits. If they are on the up and up they will be more then happy to bore you with their past accomplishments.

16. I have peddled a few of my shots to car mags over the years. I always get releases from the owners unless they are general show type shots. The release means the shot is mine to do with as I please. But if the stuff comes out like crap my personal pride says I throw it all in the round can and start over. Dad always told me "anything worth doing is worth doing well". My editors always have a certain amount of input too.

17. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

keep in mind that just because your photog SAID he was from a certain car magazine doesn't make it so. Most of the good mags have staff photogs - you can find them at all the big shows and runs. Anyone else you meet at the LizardPiss Luau Rod Run is what is known as a "stringer" and they are free-lance folks who cover the less noteworthy events and submit their pics and stories for approval. The big magazines are pickier than the ones that are just looking to increase circulation and have less on the line. When scantily-clad women draped all over the car are a supposed necessity, it isn't a major magazine shoot, and it really isn't of interest to most car people. Don't misunderstand, I'm a big fan of cleavage and great-looking fannies, but if I wanted to see sleazy poses, I could read any of the myriad of Celebrity Tabloids. When your photog is seemingly proud of dusty pictures, 'stuff' on the lens, you are not dealing with a real professional, just a guy trying to break into the big time. Try not to take it personally, that's probably the best he can do.

dj

18. NotStockPhoto

NotStockPhoto

Kind of like me taking a pic of my dog Kustom pissing while shooting a builders house for his companys website lol

[​IMG]

19. NotStockPhoto

NotStockPhoto

Wow i guess i am a stringer lol

20. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

JJ,

I was not insulting you (or didn't intend to anyway) - if it weren't for stringers, we wouldn't get coverage on most of the events that are of interest to non-gold chainers. I was merely pointing out that it is likely that his "pro" photog was not employed directly by whatever pulpstack he was representing. I have a couple of buddies who "string" and they are very handy with their cameras and I don't ever recall seeing any smudges, bug crap, or mascara shrapnel on their pictures.

dj

21. NotStockPhoto

NotStockPhoto

HaHa dont worry I dont ever get insulted just ask anyone who knows me.

Its just with the economy the way it is its getting harder to find the editors at shows unless you live in cali. I shot a car once and it was windy where i switched lenses several times during the shoot. When i went back and started looking at them there was dust all over the sensor so i spent the next three days cloning out all the dust in every picture I am kinda nitpicky that way lol.

Some mags dont want the pics touched at all maybe thats why he didnt clean his sensor or just gave you copies of all the originals not edited because he hasnt had time to touch them before submission yet.

22. SARGE

SARGE

thats a good looking dog there chicken!!!!!!!!

23. haring

haring

HAHA! I'm glad I made it this far into the thread.

Great photo.

24. ruralrod

ruralrod

makes me wonder why your in the hobby

25. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

sounds like you have two choices. Either tell them to come to a convenient location to shoot your car again. (congratulations BTW)

Or tell them to scrap the photos.

And since you signed, I'm guessing they will make their own decision on whether to use them or not.

If they are as bad as you say... they probably wont.

(send me some, just so I can make sure. The ones with the girls...)

26. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

makes me wonder why you would ask that?

:confused:

27. ruralrod

ruralrod

be gracious and thankful. quit bitchin. that's like complaining that your paycheck is wrinkled. it's still a paycheck. i have NEVER thought that the pics of any car in any mag were bad. if the car sucks, well there lies the story.

28. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

most cars only get one feature in a magazine. From the sound of it, if they use these pictures they will be unflattering.

If you had your car shot... knowing it would probably never get shot again... and you saw the pictures and realized they were junk... how would YOU feel??

29. BigNick1959

BigNick1959

There are a number of extremely talented photogs right here on the ol' HAMB that post their work on Fridays. If I had something that I thought was magazine quality, Id start looking for a shooter here first.

30. N312RB

N312RB
    from Burlington

Dammit! Thats what I am going to name my dog... hahaha