Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chevrolet 235 12 Port Head

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Colonel Ingus, May 28, 2006.

1. Tricknology

Tricknology
    from DETROIT

WOW!!!

Great JOB!

Great INFO!!

Can we pick your brains a little?

the blower in the pic is ...

from what type of car?

Is it mounted upside down?

If you mount a 3800 blower upside down or side ways,,, does this effect the oiling of the blower gears and bearings?
    what if it is mounted 90 degrees?
    what mods would have to be made?

I have Never seen a T-bird blower , how is it different than a 3800? any pics? are they common in junk yards or rare?

2. Tricknology

Tricknology
    from DETROIT

With the syle of manifold i tried to discribe,,,

the blower would on the drivers side,,,

and the carbs would look like they are mounted above of the blower, like a dragster.

looking at it from the front the engine.

the blower, the box plenum intake manifold, and the carbs are all mounted on the the drivers side of the engine.

....from top to bottom it would be ...

carbs on top, mounted on the top of the box plenum mainifold,

Blower mounted to the bottom of the box plenum.

3. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Just to throw fuel onto the fire - I checked out the Australian equivalent of the Buick V6, and found that the cylinder spacing was spot on the Stovebolt 6 spacing.

Maybe the Buick is the same............

4. hmm.. what buick motor?

5. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

6. Okay I don't get cha. I thought your "V" 6 was a typo but no the 3.8 buick is a V6 not an L6 so how does that help us? that thing would be like half the length of our 235 L6.

7. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

cut and shut 2 heads just like its been done for the 292 late chev six - be they SBC or Ford heads, as seen in a mag in the 70's

8. damn dude that's extreme.. I'm a decent welder but fucken hell I don't know if I'd trust my welds on that at all.

Alright, well if that's how it's gotta be, if this toyota head won't work then I'll stop being a ninny about it and listen to this buick head idea.

What info do ya have? Gimmie all ya got and we'll go from there and I'll see if I can get some.

9. Gemini EFI

Gemini EFI

Toner,
    If the V-6 weldup is like the V-8 weldup the weld is just holding the 2 pieces of head together. No water is involved. The down side of the V-8 and probably the V-6 is the side cover is a real bitch to make look decent for a street car. The head sticks out beyond the block and you must cobble a side cover. What I've seen done so far is pretty gross looking . A decent machinist could make billet (that nasty word) covers. It's not just looks , it's harder than hell to keep sealed.
    You might want to check out the V-6 hybrid head the welding not that big of a deal.I do know this Eaton blown V-6 Pontiacs are capable of over 500 h.p. I think I still have the sheets on one.
    Gemini EFI

10. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

It was a coup;e of years ago, when I did the comparison with our aussie V6, so it might be best for you to check out a buick V6 head, and check the bolt spacing, and the combustion chamber location.

There may well be some differences b/w the 2 engines, so I will not guarantee it being correct.

Otherwise, building a head from scratch may be the go!!!

3/4" steel plate, with water holes and head bolt holes drilled into it, Machine/Grind out the combustion chamber, fit valve seats, and construct ports, baffles in the water jackets, and sides. then O-ring the sides to bolt the top of the head to that. Buick Straight 8 rockers like a Wayne 12 port, and go see how it performs.

Or do what howard did for the jimmy, Plank head and combustion chamber in the domed piston. BTW, GMC rods and Buick V6 Forged Turbo pistons have a dome, will give you a longer burn time at TDC, and supply the necessary chamber.

will I do as I say - well - its on my list of things to do!!!!

11. wwpete

wwpete
    from milwaukee

Let's get this going again. Stovebolt, maybe you could look into this and see if it will work. I still want a 12 port. And this one is a Chevy!
    www.yellaterra.com.au/products/car-performance/product-detail/cylinder-heads.cfm

12. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I'll bet the farm. I ran GMC engines at Bonneville and drags in the 70s and early 80s. Tried the Toyota head on the 235 years ago. Know it will not fit either 270-302 GMC or 216-235-261 Chevy. Fits Toyota really well.

13. This is a great thread. I like them old 235/261 engines. There always are flaws or problems when building "Frankenstein" engines. That is the fun of hot rods, making things fit and to be functional.

14. panic

panic

Yes, that was most helpful. They fit Toyota engines.
    Don't quit your day job.

Why don't we play the game the other way?
    You say something, then I say it's wrong?

15. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

OK. Here you go....Y Block Ford heads will fit on 1929-`1932 Chrysler and Plymouth 4 cylinder engines. Your move.

Attached Files:

16. wwpete

wwpete
    from milwaukee

Golly Rich, are you on planet earth?
    OK girls hear is the deal. The link is to a Holden straight six. It is a small engine, 3.3 liters. But it also has a very short stroke. My question is 1) is it the same physical size as a stovebolt and 2) is the bore spacing the same as a stovebolt. If it is, then I can potentially take a bare aluminum head and redrill the head bolt holes.
    I love al-you-minium.

17. Dyce

Dyce

Hate to bust a bubble but the cam is on oposite sides on the Toyota and Chevy blocks. They do look a lot alike.

18. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Rich is very much on "this planet". He's an innovative hot rodder from way back running all sorts of engines on the big white dyno that all hot rodders aspire to running on.

re q 1. NO
    re q 2. NO
    Re stmt 1. No you can't

19. CNC-Dude

CNC-Dude

I agree with Stovebolt, Rich has made many accomplishments at Bonneville and other racing endeavors. And is very knowledgable about the GMC 6's and Stovebolts. I think wwpete should re-phrase his question in less criticizing tone.

20. What year and model of Jeep would those be in ?

21. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Thanks guys but I don't think WWPete ment anything bad. About this Toyota/216/235 Chevy deal, it's such an old wives tale it gets old hearing it again. About Ford heads 8 of 10 head bolts line up well enough to the Plymouth block. The other 2 need to be drilled and tapped. The same 8 holes will line up on a Windser or Cleveland block. So maybe you could run Boss 351 heads on your 292 Y block. Need a billett cam but it would be cool.

22. wwpete

wwpete
    from milwaukee

Sorry for the sarcasm but I thought this was about the Chevy 6 , not a Y block 8 head on a chrysler???

Dyce, I disagree. The lifter covers are both on the same side of the engine and there is no room for push rods on the intake / exhaust side.

23. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

outside of the Wayne head I havnt heard of 'any 12 port' head that fits a 235. and Ive been looking. But 'inline engines' have a unique power band thats still being used in engines today, and that is TORQ. Its not 'which' inline its any inline. The welded chevy V8 head is for the later [63 up] 194 to 292 engines, they have the same bolt hole and cylinder spacings. Using any one of the other inlines is a matter of choice but your in the same game. They are still developing and using inlines today and for a reason [Gm,s 4, 5, and 6, Jeep uses a old rambler engine [which Barney Navarro got 700 hp]. and what about the BMW,s?

24. Tricknology

Tricknology
    from DETROIT

most Jeep Cherokee's, see these HAMB links on jeep/amc 4.o liter, 232 ci and 258 ci inline 6 cyls.

These engines and trans from a jeep cherokee donar car work great! the rear axel ( from both 2wd and 4wd) and front axel (from 2wd versions) are narrow, so they fit nice under lots of old cars.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=183768&highlight=258+amc

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=256325&highlight=258+amc

25. panic

panic

"'inline engines' have a unique power band thats still being used in engines today, and that is TORQ. Its not 'which' inline its any inline"

basis for this is??

26. Dyce

Dyce

Panic: Look at the bore to stroke ratio. Most inline engines have a crankcase and cam position that will take alot of stroke. Really a shame nobody manufactures stroker kits.
    Pete: Yep You're right. I had to go back and look. My mistake.

27. panic

panic

"Look at the bore to stroke ratio."

And....?

28. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

29. I'm not a stovebolt guy and not trying to hijack the thread.

On 250/292s, you can machine out the web between the siamese ports and get significant breathing improvements. A good intake and headers do wonders. Bolt in lumps from Larry (Twisted 6) make significant air flow improvements even on a street engine.

I recently had a 250 head done by Tom Lowe up in Iowa for $850. All new components,

inline chevy 6 head, magnafluxed for cracks, milled for straightness only.
    new hardened exh seats
    new valve guides(all)
    performance valve seals
    1.84 intake valves
    1.60 exh valves
    z/28 spring setup for up to .500 lift
    3 angle valve job
    bolt in lumps
    ported for good street/ performance use
    assembled w/o rocker assy's

I'm really, REALLY happy with the head! I don't think the 235 heads can have the same modifications

I guess what I'm saying is that unless you're totally committed to the stovebolt, the later Chevy 6's look pretty much the same, can make LOTS of power, and tons of torque cheap!

30. panic

panic

Very interesting.
    However: how the cylinders are arranged, and the bore to stroke ratio have nothing to do with torque. That was "good information" about the time Roosevelt was re-elected.