Register now to get rid of these ads!

1936 Plymouth Coupe - rear shock links - can't find

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by n1gzd, Sep 4, 2008.

1. n1gzd

n1gzd
    from Acton, MA

The rear shock links on my 1936 Plymouth coupe are missing and nobody makes them. I am still looking.

I know that I could just fabricate a way to convert to tube shocks. However, I am kind of anxious to fix it the way it was first.

Does anyone:

1. have any 1936 Plymouth shock links (such as from your car that you modified and you don't need them).
    2. have a picture to share of what mine are supposed to look like.
    3. have a picture of the shocks on a 37 Plymouth (I think it is the first year for tube shocks) so I can consider doing that.
    4. have a picture of how you installed yours if you have the stock frame and rear end (or something similar).

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Rebecca

2. skidsteer

skidsteer

I can help you with question #3, however my '37 is not at my place, so I will get you pics tomorrow.

3. What you need is another 36 mine is for sale on here ..

4. n1gzd

n1gzd
    from Acton, MA

I would love another 36 (so I can have one rod and one stock) but I have no more money. ;) so I am going to do some of each.

5. skidsteer

skidsteer

I'm new at Photobucket, but here goes. If you need the '37 brackets, or if the photos don't post, PM me and I can send photos by email, and get the brackets off this parts car. Jerry
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. vexner

vexner

I may have some off a 38 (don't know if they are the same or not)PM me if you don't have any luck

7. n1gzd

n1gzd
    from Acton, MA

Skidsteer, this is exactly what I want to do to my car (as shown in your 37 pics). I am going to first see if I can get some nice new brackets before asking for yours. Thanks for posting the pics.
    Rebecca

8. skidsteer

skidsteer

That's fine with me, because I don't look forward to trying to get those rusty old things off. However, I plan on being at the Alter Boys' show at Natick on the 20th, if you decide you want them. BTW, there is a pile of nice '36 Plymouth parts for sale today on the Detroit Craig's list, you should check it out. Several photos, big variety of stuff, there could be some shock mounts there, good luck. Title of ad is "1936 Plymouth parts".

Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  9. n1gzd

n1gzd
    from Acton, MA

Thanks for the Craigs list tip. I will check it out. I plan on being at the Alter Boys if someone tells me that they will let my 58 Desoto in. My other cars might not be ready to drive that far.

Rebecca

10. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

There probably isn't a simpler job on any old car than changing to tube shocks in the rear.

11. n1gzd

n1gzd
    from Acton, MA

yeah, pretty much a no brainer.

12. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

For whatever its worth, the 37 brackets pictured look exactly like the ones that were on my 39 Plymouth. Knowing Mopar like I do, it wouldn't supprise me if they used the same brackets for many, many years. They just didn't change things that worked. They are very similar to shock brackets used through the early 70s. Gene

13. here are the spec's for your shocks directly out of my factory service manual: length is c to c collapsed front and back12.5" with 16" wheels,13.250" with 18 or 20" wheels. this is for 37',38' as 36' has cam and lever type (hyd)

14. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

I have some lower shock brackets off of my 37' Sedan that I will not be using. PM me if intersted...

15. skidsteer

skidsteer

I think the poster elsewhere on the HAMB said pre-1960. Unless it's bone stock? In that case, it really wouldn't fit in. See you in the spectaters lot.

16. I'd bring the Buick.

17. The Dodge Guy

The Dodge Guy

Hey I have a 36 frame that I am going to strip down for the frame only! If you are interested we can work out something on those shock mount you are looking for!!!! you can call me at 816-273-9077 Good luck The Dodge Guy