Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Stock-S/S-F/X 1959-1966

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Race Artist, Mar 2, 2008.

1. 270283

I was stationed at McGuire AFB in the Sixties with a guy involved with that car. I do believe I read somewhere recently that it has been restored to it's McCoy Mercury roots.

2. matt Delio

matt Delio

RACE ARTIST; that is the former "mccoy mercury" i think those guys also bought hayden proffits' '65 altered wheelbase comet. i saw a purple '65 at the cars meet or the s/s nationals at cecil and it had "mccoy mercury" on the sides. i heard the quote "thats proffits old car".so you can take that for what it's worth. i hope someone has a pic. later matt.

3. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

Does anyone know if Cars Magazine ever did a feature on this car?

[​IMG]

4. Nice photo!! I was in the staging lanes behind them and saw it from the rear...

5. BLT2DRIVE

BLT2DRIVE

this is the car today, still has contact at j & m. 8500 org. Miles

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 4, 2008
  6. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

Sweet looking car!:)

7. BLT2DRIVE

BLT2DRIVE

tom jacobson, the car is in the nhra museum.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 4, 2008
  8. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

Joel, Les Ritchys 65 Fairlane has been found in Texas and will undergo a resto. Been outside a long time but seems to have survived pretty good...

9. 65deluxe

65deluxe

Ive got 4 or 5 issues from 1962 but theirs no article on this car. This picture was scanned from an mid 80's magazine called Musclecars. Its from a write up they did on Dave Strickler.
    Ive only seen a few pictures of this car. Any other quality shots out there?

10. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

Actually, I received a copy of the photo when it was loaned to D. Randy Riggs for the article he wrote. I'm very familiar with that issue. It was quite a tribute to Dave Strickler. There are a few other photos of that car floating around.
    Thanks for checking your Cars issues.:)

11. Parts13

Parts13
    from New Mexico

Didn't they have a 62 Bubble Top too?

Larry

12. 65deluxe

65deluxe

Great article. I had posted the picture earlier which I had scanned. I'll take a look for additional info on this car.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2008
  13. speedexx

speedexx
    from Georgia

Larry, believe you're right. See pics on post #11 (page-1). One pic shows both cars simultaneously in the pits.

14. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

65 coronet

Attached Files:

15. kscuda

kscuda
    from olathe, ks

A few that were at the historic Hemi Reunion

Attached Files:

16. Parts13

Parts13
    from New Mexico

Some times a mind as old as mine does not always remember everything, but I think I remember seeing the 62 Bubble top sitting at Hotel in Phoenix during the 63 AHRA winters. They took their Z11 car to races but it would not run on Strip Gasoline.
    Larry

17. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

I got a chance to view a few of Floyd Garrets Fx cars back in the mid 90's. At the time the museum was being built in Chatanooga. I remember seeing the Fire Chief #2, 62 Ford, a back up Sox Martin car and a several more.
    Just in that garage he had three of each manufactor and they all had history.

18. biscaynes

biscaynes

did this car win any 'major' events?

19. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

It was only taken to the Indy event. It didn't win anything and they got rid of it soon after.

20. It was match raced a few times after Indy but sold on the Smith used car lot not long after the Nats.

21. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

I didn't know about any match racing, but I'm sure it was possible. I knew it was sold on the A.R. Smith lot, but that's pretty much where the trail ends. There are rumors of it's demise on the street and stories it went South. No solid leads though.....

22. Big Dad

Big Dad

23. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

Being new to the board, I came in late on this thread. Great stuff!!

I started drag racing in 1964 at Delmar,DE and remember seeing Phil Bonner, Malcolm Durham, Hubert Platt and others. I also remember having to work the weekend of the Super Stock Nationals. Damn, I wish I could have been there.

Uncle Sam had me from Nov. 1965 - 1969 and I was overseas in '67 & '68 so I missed some good times. I went to work for the Chevy, Olds dealer in 1969 and met Harold Ramsey in 1970 when he came to town and bought the Pontiac dealership.

Harold asked me several times to come work for him and I did in 1972. It is hard to imagine that his accomplishments in the prior ten to twelve years didn't impress me at the time. Now, all these years later, it is history!

I am still fairly close to Harold's wife and son Henry. I'll check to see if they have some photos that they will allow me to scan and share here. We haven't talked since last year at York when Harold was inducted into the Legion of Honor along with Wally Bell, George Weiler, Ray Allen and others.

Here is a photo of Henry Ramsey and Jim Stemphil with the '63 Tempest.

Attached Files:

24. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

Here's one of the restored car taken at York in 1979. I think Jenkins was the owner at that time.

[​IMG]

25. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

These shots of Seaton's Shaker and Phil Bonner's Falcon were taken during a match race at Cecil County in 1966. When the cars were fired in the pits I got my first dose of nitro fumes, something I will always remember.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. 65deluxe

65deluxe

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A couple more to add to the where are they now list. Fred Cuttlers Hemi FX wagon from 1964 and Wiley Cossey 427 66 Chevy

27. Race Artist

Race Artist

Glad to have you among the group, welcome!

Harold Ramsey is one of the unsung heroes of early S/S-F/X racing. He was an absolute killer in the years leading up to 1964. It is something that I've always been concerned with and have tried to get as much information out there on him. It would be terrific if the family allowed you to scan some pictures if they have any.
    One of Ramsey's cars that I've seen very little on is the match race GTO he built and ran in 1964 and I believe into 1965. Good pictures that you've posted also ... looks like Don Martin, Phil Bonner's wrench from Archway Ford at the front of the Daddy Warbucks car.
    Joel

28. Race Artist

Race Artist

Bob Fermier, Jim Amos and Dink Bishop have made alot of progress on the Fermier Bros. '62 Ford 406 restoration ... take a look at the YouTube footage ... [FONT=Arial,sans-serif][/FONT][FONT=Arial,sans-serif]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TGpgwm69Wk[/FONT]

Joel

29. 65deluxe

65deluxe

[​IMG]

Larry Lombardo's F/S Corvette

30. speedexx

speedexx
    from Georgia

Wonder who's Cuda that is also in the pic?