Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flat front Headlights?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SpookyDad, Aug 30, 2008.

1. SpookyDad

SpookyDad
    from Cypress TX

Does anyone know where I can find headlights with a flat front glass?

I have sealed beams with a curved front face but I want to replace them with flat ones.

Neil G.

2. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Mount them behind the glass in a set of model T headlights.

3. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I got some from Juliano's awhile back, Hella I think - but they were an European mfg. Gary

4. skidsteer

skidsteer

What are you mounting them on? I got a pair of Vintiques for a Model A, but I mounted the entire assembly inside a pair of '39 Chevy buckets for my '37 Plymouth. They even have the turn signals built right in, so I didn't have to drill more holes in my fenders, a feature I really liked. I paid about $130 with shipping for the pair, on eBay.

5. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

My bad... mispoke. The Hellas I have are NOT sealed beams. But they do have flat front glass. If you have that extra little bit of room needed for the bulb type harness and holder in the back of your buckets, they would probably still work just fine.

Very sorry for the misdirection. Gary

6. I seem to remember a Lucas made a sealed beam unit with flat glass, but don't have any way of researching them. The ones I saw even hat a optional tri-bar overlay.

7. striper

striper

Gary is right. Hella H4s. Halogen bulb and flat fronts.

8. alvisoroadsters

alvisoroadsters
    from Cupertino

9. houseofhotrods

houseofhotrods

I couldn't find any on their website - do you have a part number? Thank you!! :)

10. Mopar34

Mopar34

There are a lot of vendors who sell them with or without the tri-bar. Nearly all streetrod vendors have them. Like Springfield, Yearwoods, Yogi's, Southern Rods and Parts, etc.

I have a set on my 34, but not crazy about them. Different designed fluted reflectors control the light pattern, some good, some not so. Mine could have a better light pattern which isn't all that great, much better with the old GE sealed beams halogens with the slightly curved front fluted glass.

11. Squablow

Squablow

So you just want the glass? I have a pair of flat front Auteroche 7" headlights out of my Mercedes that the steel backing plates were getting rusty but the glass is really good, it's flat and it's got a cool stylized "A" in it. I could get those to you real cheap, I can send pictures if you want.

12. SpookyDad

SpookyDad
    from Cypress TX

I would like to see the ones out of the Mercedes. I have deep buckets so I have room to mount a bulb holder.

I will also look for the Hellas.

Neil

13. alvisoroadsters

alvisoroadsters
    from Cupertino

here's the part number for the set I got from headwinds, 8-9701 7" 60/55
    halogen headlamp,flt lens.

14. 57f100

57f100

I have some on my truck that are h4 motorcycle lights. They look pretty cool, not too many people notice that they are flat, but the people who do are stoked on them.

15. houseofhotrods

houseofhotrods

Not to hijack the post, but isn't what these vendors carry - an H4 or separate bulb light?? I have a couple sets of them, but what I am looking for is a flat front sealed beam - non separate bulb unit, something that is more traditional, like a model A lamp, but in a 7 inch size that would fit a standard car housing and mounting ring, or King Bee, or even Guide headlight..... ?

16. johnrockin

johnrockin
    BANNED
    from midwest

i had some flat headlights on my model A, i got them new from "frame up street rods" in waukegan IL. i cant for the life of me remember the company that made them though..... i thought it said something like "vintiques" or "vintage" in it. they were in seperate white boxes..... grr im sure ill think of it when im away from the computer.