Register now to get rid of these ads!

32 plymouth 5 window coupe fans?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Preacher, Mar 22, 2005.

1. Preacher

Preacher
    Member Emeritus

here is a picture of one

http://carnut.com/cgi-bin/04/image.pl?/show/04/okc/nat014.jpg

before you jump down me for posting this here and not the classifieds let me disclaim i don't know this guy it jsut seemed like a really solid deal if you a mopar fan and i figured i would post it in case there are some mopar fans...

this was the add in this mornings paper:
    http://www.idahoclassified.com/cv3/...e=50&searchterm:list=&Search.x=11&Search.y=12

37. COUPE 1932 5 window, 283 with power glide, suicide doors, could '32 Ford? $3500 OBO. 585-3666
    The Idaho Statesman Subclassification: Antiques & Classics 3/22/2005

i just got back from looking at it... its not a 32 ford but i am pretty positive its a 32 plymouth with stock suicide doors... its a roller but not a runner, there is very little thats worth keeping and has a hokey frame and frontend and looks like a gm rearend... the 283 looks like its been sitting ro 15+ years and the powerglide the same... the grill shell looks like the top half of a 32 ford but not the bottom.

basically its just the body and trans/engine cores... after i talked to the guy, he camedown to 3k after i talked some more... 2k and when i left he was down to $1800 i would say if you were a mopar fan this car is a really good body... sorry i didn't snap picture, i was in too big a hurry thinking it was a FORD...

the guy seems like he is desperate. he said he doesn't have a title...

i would say it really is just a body with a few extras' but again the body is in really good shape, idaho is kind on rust...

2. Shoprag

Shoprag

that site doesn't give the area code to those numbers wouldn't mind makin a couple of calls.

3. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

its either 208, or it aint in Idaho bro :D

4. Preacher

Preacher
    Member Emeritus

yeah, the guys people skills are a little off so keep that in mind before you call, i do know a shipper that lives right down the road from him... if you get jambed up let me know and i can contact him...

good luck

5. Arthur

Arthur
    from NC

I just called a friend in Idaho who is on his way over there right now to look at the car for me. I've been wanting a 33-34 Dodge or Plymouth coupe ever since I was about 13 and saw my first one. BTW,that's what it is,not a 32.

6. Preacher

Preacher
    Member Emeritus

art,

i lowballed the guy last night for $1500 and he just called me back and said come get it...its really tempting, because like i said the body is in really good condtion. but the last thing i need is another project and i would love for a hamber to get this...

i just thought you would want to know he is down to $15oo i betcha you could pick it up for less if you let him sweat a little.

7. Arthur

Arthur
    from NC

Thanks,I'm the one doing the sweating right now while I'm waiting to hear from my friend. Even if I do get it,I still have to figure out how to get it from Idaho to NC.

BTW,I am SUPPOSED to have a whole front clip for this car. A guy I know told me a couple of months ago that he had a 33 Plymouth coupe that he would give me if I wanted it. It's right here in NC,too. He also said the body was good from the rear of the doors forward,but rusted away pretty bad from the doors back. He even said the front fenders,hood,and grille were in pretty decent shape. I guess it had been parked backed up in some bushes or something. It was a old hot rod somebody had given him,and the only reason he even took it is because it has a 392 hemi in it with 6 carbs. This guy only collects 54-62 Chryslers,and he wanted the block for a back up for his cars. I'm still trying to talk him out of the intake.

Looks like I am going to have to go visit hiim next week to see if he has gone to get the coupe and brought it home yet.

8. Arthur

Arthur
    from NC

Guys,this coupe is now sitting behind my friends garage. He just called me to tell me he bought it.

9. jangleguy

jangleguy

Don't you just love a happy ending? Congrats, Art...

10. Preacher

Preacher
    Member Emeritus

stoked it all worked out... congrats

11. Dakota

Dakota
    from Beulah, ND

if it looks liek that yellow one, its a 33 or 34.

32 was atransition year for mopar, they offered a PB 3 window that have the best lines i have ever seen on a dodge, and In my opinion is much better looking Than an 32 ford. but it was only produced for like 4-6 months. very very pretty car.

12. Arthur

Arthur
    from NC

I did a google search last night and tracked down a guy who had restored 2 1932 Plymouths and asked him about it. One of his cars is a 3 window coupe with "suicide doors" (I'd never seen one of those,either),and the other is a roadster. I described the car I bought to him and he said it was a "PC" coupe that Plymouth put out in October of 1932 to try and match the new Ford V-8. He even sent me a photo,and sure enough it IS a 32 that looks exactly like a 33. I can't see the grille in the photo so I don't know if that is a 32 or 33 item,but I suspect that since the car was released in Oct that it is all 33 but titled as a 32.

Here is the photo the guy sent me. I would have been willing to bet money it is a 33 or 34 from looking at the photo,and I would have lost it all. Can't be many of these things left,though. Learn something new every day,huh?

13. Dakota

Dakota
    from Beulah, ND

14. Those coupes are pretty cool. I would run one before I ran a Ford. Im a Ford fanatic, but I like to be different too.

Plymouth 3 or 5 window done rat style...SMOKIN!!! :p

15. Arthur

Arthur
    from NC

Guys,I just started a thread about "Preachers 32 coupe" that has photos and details. Pretty neat car.

16. 32 Ply nut

32 Ply nut

If it has five windows it is not a 1932 Plymouth!

17. ezdusit

ezdusit

That '32 coupe picture posted by Dakota is my Plymouth Model PB coupe. I bought it in 1962 and have owned it ever since. The confusion about 1932 Plymouth styles comes from the fact that Plymouth built and delivered three different models - the PA, PB, and PC - all during calendar year 1932. At some point, any of the three models could have been registered as 1932 cars. The PA and PB coupes only were available with 3-window configuration. The PC coupes which came out in October were only available in 5-windows. The PAs and PBs were four cylinder cars whereas the PCs were six cylinder models in response to Ford's new V-8s.

18. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

I'm pretty sure its a 34........
    [​IMG]

19. choppintops

choppintops
    BANNED

20. Arthur

Arthur
    from NC

Nope. According to the serial number tag in the door and my Hollander's Interchange manual,it is a 1932 Chrysler 6 cylinder coupe.

They guy that bought it "for me" ended up liking it so good he decided to keep it for himself. He emailed me the serial number in the door the same day he bought the car,though. Last I heard it was pushed up in a corner of his shop and covered up,waiting for him to build a American Graffiti style coupe out of it.

21. Kreepea_1

Kreepea_1

Bummer Man! I was hoping your next post would come with pics and you saying the coupe was enroute to NC. I dig the early Mopar coupes too. IThis one caught my eye at a car show in NC (Jacksonville or Winston Salem) 21 years ago.

Attached Files:

22. moparron426

moparron426

did you let him have it or did he decide to keep it for himself?

that not a friend in my book. Ron...

23. Arthur

Arthur
    from NC

Nope. I ended up buying one in much worse condition last summer for about 4 times as much money.

I got you beat on the time. I've been wanting one ever since I spotted one at the dragstrip in Creeds,Va around 1962. That was probably the first show-quality finished street-driven hot rod I ever saw. Bright red with red rolled and pleated interior,new glass,new chrome,and a j-2 Olds engine with a B&M Hydro-Stick trans and Olds rear.

I sorta always wanted to recreate that car,and even bought a complete 54 Olds part car several years ago as a donor car. Since I also have two DeSoto hemi engines,I decided to go all-Mopar instead,right down to a push-button 727 and 8-3/4 rear.

24. Arthur

Arthur
    from NC

This is one twisted and confused tale. I knew he had been looking for a early 30's Ford coupe,so when I spotted this Mopar on the HAMB right where he lives,I called him right away and told her to go over there and buy it. I knew it wasn't a Ford,but it was within a few miles of his house and was dirt cheap ($1500),so I figured he might want it.

He thought I wanted him to buy it for me,and the next thing I knew he has emailed me to tell me he had "my" car under cover in his back yard. I figured "OK,he thinks he was doing me a favor,so now I am obligated to buy it." I told him I'd go to the credit union and borrow the money to pay him for it in a few days. A couple of days later he is emailing me about how cool "his" new coupe looks,and telling me about the plans he has for it.

Since my original intention was for him to end up owning it to start with,I don't really have grounds to be mad,do I?

25. Arthur

Arthur
    from NC

BTW,here is the one I ended up buying. Yeah,it is a LOT rougher than the one in Idaho,but it isn't channeled and has all the fenders. Which is big for me because I wanted a stock-bodied car.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. choppintops

choppintops
    BANNED

Sure looks like my 34.

27. moparron426

moparron426

well its good to see you ended up with one and great to see your going with a mopar in it [​IMG]

I'v e got a 33 plymouth coupe body too to do someday :cool::D Ron....

28. 56shoebox

56shoebox

What is a 32 PC roller, in good condition, worth today? I know someone with one and I would like to know the going rate.

29. Arthur

Arthur
    from NC

They are worth whatever you are willing to pay for them.

I am not trying to be snide,but there are so few of these things sold and condition and location has so much to do with it that I don't know how anyone but you can establish the worth of a "roller".

For example,a roller that is complete with the original drive train but not running would be worth a LOT more to a restorer than to some idiot wanting to build a "Rat rod" so he can be "different" like everybody else and sit with the cool kids in the cafeteria.

Even a solid complete body missing the engine and trans would be worth more to a restorer than a hot rodder because they are so rare.

I have a complete and presentable older restoration 31 Plymouth PA coupe that I will probably be putting up for sale at the end of the summer,and I'll be asking 12 to 14 grand for it. I have no idea if that is a cheap price,a high price,or a reasonable price. It's what I would be willing to pay for one this nice if I were buying it,so that's what I'm probably going to be asking.

Assuming I can really bring myself to sell it when push comes to shove,that is. Here is what the car looked like the day I brought it back home from Pa. It had been in Pa and in the same family until the Pa resident I bought it from bought it about 10 years before selling it to me. All he ever did with it was drive it in a few parades.

Took me over 2 years to find NOS grease seals for the rear so I could put brakes back on it and start driving it. 31 and 32 were the only years to use those seals.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] This one is going to be hard to part with. 50 hp,syncro trans,and hydraulic brakes from the factory means it can be driven around and enjoyed.

30. 3window31

3window31
    from AZ

I fall into the complete body but missing the drivetrain category. Do you happen to know what you dash is made out of? I started to polish the dash on my 31 PA and it's either made out of brass or copper. Both my front fenders have spare tire mounts. I was told people will pay more for a Ford than a Plymouth.