Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is this axle worth saving?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PunkRodder, Aug 31, 2008.

1. PunkRodder

PunkRodder

I guess 50 years ago when they were scrapping these cars, they really didn't think about saving everything. Seems like they were only considering what they thought was valuable like the drums. This axle did have a good set of spindles and backing plates. I think it's a 36. Looks like they hacked off the bones with a cutting torch. The melted steel goes about half way down the spring perch holes. I was thinking they might be able to be drilled out. Not sure if it is worth the trouble. Any thoughts? Speaking of thoughts, prayers going out to our southern neighbors in LA.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. PunkRodder

PunkRodder

Did you rebuild the the top of the axle where the spring perch sits? This part looks like it got nuked out too. I thought I could rebuild it with weld and then reshape it.

3. R Pope

R Pope

That's a Model A axle. '32 and later were dropped in varying amounts.

4. Flatman

Flatman

It looks entirely salvagable to me. I'd try to press out the remaining perch bolt unless the underside will assure you finding the center of the hole, then go with the machine/drill approach.

Flatman

5. PunkRodder

PunkRodder

Bottom is not dicked up at all. I could find center if prepped a little with a die grinder. I don't have a press,but I do have a small drill press.

6. 1951bomber

1951bomber
    from atwater Ca

if ya dont want just ship it to me

7. johnrockin

johnrockin
    BANNED
    from midwest

ive had worse......
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

GET ER DONE! ;)

8. steeljunkieII

steeljunkieII

good job good save

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Those photos just made my day as I have a 28 or so Chev axle that looks great except someone made a trailer axle out of it at one time. that gives me inspiration to see if I can get it separated from the spindles without ruining things.

On the A axle I would dress up the top and bottom with a disk grinder to just clean the cutting slag off and be able to distinguish the perch bolt from the axle it's self then pack it off to a machine shop with a press to get them pressed out. Don't grind into the axle it's self, just clean off the slag on top and you should be able to see the circle where the pin comes through the axle.

10. johnrockin

johnrockin
    BANNED
    from midwest

yeah once you clean it and get the existing pin out of the axle like MR48 said, you could run a few passes with a welder and then just have a new surface machined. or if you are really good.... you could grind close and hand file it;)

11. PunkRodder

PunkRodder

Wow, I thought it was a lost cause. Glad I asked. I'll do what you gus are saying about cleaning it up. The problem is the top of the axle perch has been fused to the perch pin. I would have to do some stock removal to the axle it self. I would not have to go past where it starts to become an I beam. I will take better pisc now that I know it can be done.