Register now to get rid of these ads!

Insured?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flat Rod, Jul 16, 2004.

1. wondering about what a pain in the a#% it will be to get a jalopy insured. i assume someone here has gotten a jalopy insured? i haven't dared call my agent yet (a#%hole).

2. bigron

bigron

wondering about this myself.

3. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

www.grundy.com

www.hagerty.com

Both will take you approx 1 minute to determine your premium.

Just more FYI, if you have a later model "hot rod", such as a newer Corvette, Mustang, mini truck etc, Sneed, Robinson, and Gerber is the company to deal with as they have a special policy titled "Show Machine". There are in TN and have a toll free number.

4. Ayers Garage

Ayers Garage

Don't even bother with your agent.

I use Hagerty. I just took out a policy this week on my truck. 8500 dollar claimed value is 173 bucks a year for full coverage.

You can do most of the paperwork online. I emailed them the 4 pictures of it and called them the next day with a credit card number to pay them.

They will fax you an insurance card as soon as you pay them, and mail you a real one within 7 days.

5. Byron Crump

Byron Crump

Are you going to use it as a daily driver...don't answer that on here just in case big brother is watching...but if you are the classic guys won't touch you. I guess you can do the what they don't know won't hurt them thing but I wouldn't.

The classic car guys that do hot rods are real easy to deal with dude...I had my cars done in two days. I picked what I thought each car was worth from a chart, found I could live with those rates, and I was done. All through the internet also!

I went with Grundy btw.

Hell, even flt blk has his junker covered (Im kidding!)

My point to the little jab at Tyler is they will cover trad hot rods for a fair price and understand what the trends are and so on.

Better do it...what prompted me after years of not having it was the guy from Texas that had the killer 32 five window that got stolen from BTT50's in MN a couple of years ago (and he got it back the next day but did not have coverage and was sick whole time it was missing) and another person I know of that was in a freak wreck and he got nothing since all he had was liability...about 40,000 down the tube on that one.

6. jalopy43

jalopy43
    Member Emeritus

I have insured my heap through MIC. Daily usage,about $300 a year. A good record,no accidents, no DUI's,no problem. Call around,sounds like Grundy is a good one also. Glenn

7. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

My 37 is insured through Statefarm. Insured for 15,000 full coverage. 125.00 year. They have lower rates for cars which are not too modified. Usually they look for cars that are more the Streetrod style to turn down for the lower rate. Many times a slightly modified car will slide through with no problem.Not as easy to apply as above though. I intend to look at the above insurances for my more modified pickup.

8. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

thats my favorite advitar of all the ones you have. [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

[ QUOTE ]
    thats my favorite advitar of all the ones you have

[/ QUOTE ]
    Teddy needed a rest from the daily gruel of shocking all the cool hotrod chicks.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. [ QUOTE ]
    www.grundy.com

www.hagerty.com

Both will take you approx 1 minute to determine your premium.

Just more FYI, if you have a later model "hot rod", such as a newer Corvette, Mustang, mini truck etc, Sneed, Robinson, and Gerber is the company to deal with as they have a special policy titled "Show Machine". There are in TN and have a toll free number.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've gotten guotes from hagerty and grundy before and they are very reasonable but the policy is a little more restrictive than I'd like [​IMG]

11. Lenzi

Lenzi

Shop it several places. Call your agent first. Most of the time you get a multiline discount if you add a policy to existing policies with the same carrier. I had our '53 pick-up added to our existing auto policies through a standard carrier for $144 a year - full coverage - done in 30 seconds with one phone call and followed up by emailing photos.

The classic auto insurers will make you show evidence of another daily driver and you will have to read those policies carefully for exclusions that deny coverage if you go over mileage, can't prove it was only being driven to and from car shows etc.

Lenzi

12. Deyomatic

Deyomatic
    from CT

"Fuck Hagerty," this is my new motto.

I've never been through such a pain in the ass getting insurance. I felt like I was being interrogated for a murder. You better have a clean driving record going back FIVE YEARS (yeah, FIVE) and you better tell them it will be stored in your garage, and you better NEVER drive it to work or to run any errands. They ONLY insure cars that are driven to and from car shows or in parades. ONLY. And, if you DO call them up this week, and they, for some reason don't like one of your answers and deny you, if you call back 3 months later, they WILL inform you that you've been denied once already and you better have some different answers for them this time.

HOWEVER, I called Grundy right after them and was treated like a human being. The guy asked what the value of the car was, said I'd need to fill out the paperwork that they'd be sending me, NEVER asked about how many miles are put on the car, NEVER asked about my driving record, AND, to top it off, it was only $80 for the year, as opposed to Haggerty's $190.

Fuck Haggerty.

13. wow !i can't believe how cheap you guys insurance is down there!up here in b.c. canada our government owns the only insurance company around.It costs me like 1000$ a year to insure my 56 pontiac,and i have a perfect driving record.we have collector insurance,but you're car has to be anally stock,and you can't drive it daily to work!so i have regular insurance on my car,works for me! but man i still can't believe how cheap you guys insurance is down there!take it easy!

14. Deyomatic

Deyomatic
    from CT

It all evens out in the end, I can't believe how cheap your health insurance is! [​IMG]

15. Iceberg

Iceberg

Yea, & you pay in Canadian pesos. I sure got tired of being passed your 20 cents pieces when I lived in Bellingham.

16. du$ty

du$ty

17. beatnik

beatnik

I was worried about getting my roadster insured. I applied on line with Haggerty sent them a couple of pics of the car even had the cheater slicks and no interior in the car and they approved me the next day. It shouldn't be a problem.