Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone Looking for a Shop Helper???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Young1, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Young1

Young1

I'm 18 years old and extremely interested in learning about how to build and work on hot rods. I have a real desire to learn, but it's hard because I don't know anyone around with similar interests. So, I have finally decided to ask if anyone in central Ohio is looking for someone to help out around their shop?

I'm heading off to college soon (engineering major), but I was hoping that I might find someone that would be interested in my offer for next summer. Obviously, you make the terms. I want to learn anything and everything, but I am not opposed to sweeping up, cleaning parts, or running errands. I'm always on time, organized and have a strong work ethic, but obviously I lack experience. If anyone has questions just ask and if you know anyone that might need a helper next summer let them know.

2. Right attitude Good luck

3. Adam D.

Adam D.

thats how i got into it.... started doin the same thing at a local shop, sweepin and learnin for 8 bucks an hour. learned alot but 3 years later im 21, doin front end rebuilds, yankin motors, brake jobs, tune ups, rear end rebuilds, etc.... AND MAKIN 9 BUCKS AN HOUR!! make sure the guys u work for reward ur hard work. luckily got hooked up with JimA through the shop and now work for him :D. good luck bro, u got the right attitude!!!

4. where is your college located? i would check the local area and talk to the local napa guys,wreckers,tow yards...make sure you let them know your a engineering student. good luck.

5. JBW

JBW

I'm in the same position, although about 10 years older and with a college degree. Contacts are important as I have found that usually someone knows someone who knows someone who can help you. Good luck
    -Jason

6. Young1

Young1

That's my main problem, I don't really have any contacts as far as working on old cars goes. I'm really hoping to find someone through the hamb.

7. JRRoberts

JRRoberts
    from Madison WI

Where are you going for school and what is your major? Mechanical, Civil, Electrical... Etc?

8. Young1

Young1

I'm going to Ohio State and majoring in Mechanical Engineering.

9. Kerry67

Kerry67

Jesus, I am 41 and would love that as well. Would love to find someone who just wrenches out of their home and would not mind me checking things out from time to time. Nobody in my family is really into the cars so I never learned growing up and my car buddies (the couple I had) are in IL.

10. fuel

fuel

Too bad you are not in Texas.

I am by no means an expert, but if anyone in my area has the desire to learn, then I am more than willing to help teach. As long as I don't get some kind of shady vibe from you, then it's all good.

I focus mainly on the machining, welding, and fabrication side of things because that is my area of interest.

PM me if interested.

11. Young1

Young1

Hey fuel, do you have an extra bed room? :D

12. BuckeyeBorn

BuckeyeBorn

I'm about to go into my final Quarter at OSU for Mechanical Engineering. If I had a place, or a project I'd have you come help me out. Good Luck finding some one, and good luck with school.

13. JBW

JBW

I am thinking the same thing.
    -Jason

14. lukescoupe

lukescoupe
    from oklahoma

I am 20 and I was in the same boat you are in last year. I didn't know anything about metal work only motor work. I went to local car shows and body shops asking people what they were working on and if I could get a few pointers. I final found one man that was building a 27 chevy coupe that let me take my A coupe to his shop. He helped my put in my first patch panel then after that he just checked up on my making sure that I did not mess anything up to badly. Don't be afraid to ask around for help whats the worst that could happen if someone said no.

15. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Not a bad start to help get to your goals, never hurts to ask. But, I say get wrenching on that truck of yours and I guarantee before too long you will know quite a bit about old cars and more than most anybody around you. It is nice to learn from experienced people when you can and there is always something to learn, but since old cars really aren't that hard to figure out, just learn as much as you can on what you have in the meantime. Start with easy stuff and work your way into the harder stuff. Take advantage of the free time you have when younger. From my experience, free time cab be hard to come by when you get older, have a family, demanding job, etc.

Main advice when working on old stuff, when you decide to work on something, pay very very good attention to how it came apart because it likely is just the reverse to put it back together and keep ALL parts for reference until you are 125% (maybe 150%) sure you don't need them anymore. Take photos for future reference if needed. Reminder photos have saved my ass more than once.

Regardless, good luck with maybe finding a fun job in a cool shop. Nice to meet new people too.

16. bet the college has a list of local business people get on the phone before you leave home and start networking. local chamber of commerce might be able to help.

17. Pothole 31A

Pothole 31A

Good luck dude i am 23 and live in cleveland and threw another web site i have found a few good friends in my area and without them my car would not be where it is today. Dont worry someone is going to see you have the drive and help you out. If you are ever up in Cleveland give me a BUZZ

18. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Your on the right track., I started by sanding bondo at Wade hughes hot rod shop. (2000) Now I own my own shop in Wades building. :eek:

Email me next summer when you get out of school, I might be able to find something for you, if not put your ass in my shop. I'm wanting someone YOUNG, and that's NOT one of my buddy's. (that sound dick, but I know I wouldn't be able to tell buddy's what needed to be done and be serious)

Joshua Shaw
    Shaw Hot Rods
    Cin. Ohio. (an hour and a half away from you)

Oh, And I went to college in Columbus at C.C.A.D. (Columbus College of Art and Design)

19. HR Classic Cars

HR Classic Cars
    from Wylie, TX

Funny to see a post like this.. I own a shop near Dallas and when we posted an opening for a shop helper we got lot's of responses, but only a few that were really into rods (Jerry, the guy we hired is active on the HAMB and a great addition to our team) mostly dreamers that watched too much TV.

We recently posted two jobs, a mechanic and a fabricator and only received two serious applicants.. we hired them both.

Every shop owner I talk to has the same story, hard to find people with the right attitude and interest..

So I would say, call around and keep your enthusiasm up.. you'll find something and if you want to learn, find an old hot rodder.. more knowledge then you ever thought existed.

20. spudshaft

spudshaft

I think that is an excellent plan. Also, the IH trucks of that era are really nice looking.

21. Young1

Young1

Bump. Still looking for something in Central Ohio, and it doesn't have to be a "hot rod shop". If anyone has a project they work on themselves in their garage or something like that I would be interested in helping out.

22. Kerry67

Kerry67

The problem with most shops, in my case anyway is I basically have no experience as I did not grow up wrenching on cars. And at my age, nobody would take a chance on hiring me without any experience and I don't blame them. That is why I would like to just hang with someone working on an old car and just watch/assist.

23. kustoms2

kustoms2

Great attitude! You can hang around with us all you want, if you ever make it down my way. Good luck with school.

24. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Hey If I was you I would put something up on the message boards when you get to college. Might find a local student thats in a club or something. Clubs get together and wrench on each others cars from time to time and always welcome a newby unless their a bunch of assholes.

25. jonny o

jonny o

Put an add in the classifieds.
    Here it sounds like you are asking for a favor. There it will be offering.

26. Young1

Young1

I guess I'm kind of asking and offering. I want this to be something that is mutually beneficial if possible. I don't want someone to feel like they are helping me out just to be a "nice guy". I plan on working hard and making this worthwhile for someone.

27. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

28. Young1

Young1

I will check things out when I head out to college next month, but in the mean time I will keep looking. Thanks for the ideas and words of advice everyone!

29. Young1

Young1

30. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

PM Holley Hayworth and see who she knows. Her and her hubby are on the south side of Columbus not far from the Southfield Drive In. She drives a '53 Chevy 4 door and his is an A Woody that he built from a cowl and a saw! Nice folks, met them this past weekend. They may be able to point you in the right direction as far as hooking up with a crowd of like minded folks

Too bad you didn't go to a Michigan school, I know that the Highlander is looking for help in his Detroit area shop. He does incredible restos of high end cars. He just scored a '41 Packard that is the cats ass.