Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bonneville motorcycle crash

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Big Mac, Aug 23, 2008.

1. BinderRod

BinderRod

I would think he went shopping for pants with a bigger crotch area.

2. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

I bet the SCTA will be looking for whoever left the parts on the course and failed to report it

3. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Wow... Quite amazing. Glad he is ok.

Malcolm

4. Roadsters.com

Roadsters.com

I read that shortly after the incident, the parts were retrieved and in the SCTA trailer.

Dave
    http://www.roadsters.com/

5. Just talked to Jason, they got home early this morning. He says he is very black and blue and very very sore but alive to tell the story. All the best recovery to him and his family. Welcome Home

6. Roadsters.com

Roadsters.com

Tonight on LandRacing.com, Jason posted this:

"I owe a big thanks to the rescue crew as well. After my bike stopped going end over end and I slid to a stop from 243 mph, it took them only 8 seconds to get to me. It was nice to hear a friendly voice after a wreck.

Thanks again,

Jason McVicar"

7. spudshaft

spudshaft

What a bad ass. To wreck at 240, and then shop for pants, the guy is a beast.

8. Roadsters.com

Roadsters.com

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/m4JiDpA3qpA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/m4JiDpA3qpA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Glad to read that he is ok except for the soreness.

I'd say that anyone planning on running a bike at Bonneville would be wise to invest in a set of the same brand and style of leathers.

10. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

Amazing video and story. I think what saves lives at Bonneville, besides their obvious thoroughness and regard for safety is that you get to keep all of your momentum. It's those pesky sudden stops that tend to end lives. This was still a pretty fast stop from 243MPH but nothing like a wall or a telephone pole.

11. gnarlytyler

gnarlytyler

Amazing....... Id be cleaning my NJK's after I crapped my pants thats for sure!
    Surely wasnt his time!

12. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

Jesus...the video is crazy!!

13. HOT ROD DAVE

HOT ROD DAVE

just watched the video and holy shit !!!!

glad to hear hes ok and all but i think he has a big s on his chest

14. Hot feces, whatta story. I think anything over 120 would scare the heck out of me. I'll watch it when it comes out on HBO.

Bob

15. Roadsters.com

Roadsters.com

Scott Guthrie, who holds many LSR motorcycle records and has 200 official time slips on bikes over 200 mph, posted this over on LandRacing.com this morning. Quote:

Jason has started out the 2008 Bonneville season with a bang!

McVicar set five records (and had qualified for a 6th) in the very competitive 1350 cc and 1650cc turbo classes, and set the fastest &#8211; ever open-wheel record on the Salt Flats. At a whopping 253.297 MPH, McVicar&#8217;s record is more than a full MPH faster that the previous high.

The mark surpasses everything included in ALL the various sanctioning organizations active on the Flats, including SCTA, BNI, AMA, BUB, FIM, and the USFRA.

Even more remarkable was the fact that Jason's record speeds were made in the MIDDLE mile of the three timed miles on the long course. The previous all-time mark was set at a BUB meet that allows an additional 2 full miles of acceleration.

Jason&#8217;s 255 MPH one-way speed on the record return made Jason the Fast Bike of the 2008 SCTA-BNI Speed Week &#8211; streamliners included.

In his usual humble fashion, Jason remarked; "I could see by the GPS that I was comfortably over the record in the middle mile. Rather that risk the motor for a few MPH, I just turned out after the 4 mile mark, showing 257 MPH on the GPS. We intend to go the BUB meet and see what we can do on just one big run, and hopefully make some travel expenses back with some prize money."

16. Roadsters.com

Roadsters.com

Earlier in this thread, when I added the YouTube video, I neglected to add the text that accompanies it, which I just read and will now quote:

Jason McVicar's crash on his turbo Hayabusa while still accelerating after being timed at 236mph in the third mile on the 5-mile-long course. The crash happened directly after the 3.5-mile marker and the final resting of the bike and rider was just shy of the 4-mile marker.

This video is only being shown here for informational purposes by verbal authorization of the subject in the footage, Jason specifically requested I put this video up for others to understand what can happen at these speeds. I am not sure if this video was taken by the team or others on the team and it is here for viewing only. Reproductions that are used for anything other then personal educational purposes are not permitted and this is a private video with ownership rights belonging to the person filming the video and Jason McVicar.

Jason was released by the local medical facility with a shattered kneecap, many leather abrasions and a tremendous amount of pain and sore spots of course. He retained 100% recollection of the accident. He will be back and will continue to make records as he has done in the past.

He obtained a top speed record of 253mph at this same meet!

WEAR YOUR GEAR FOLKS as even the best of the best can run into problems.
    Jason, you are an outstanding rider. Prayers to you and your family, my friend.

Here's a direct link to the page with the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4JiDpA3qpA

Dave

17. Throttlehead250

Throttlehead250
    from Houston TX

wow... that is nuts, its amazing what a little protection can prevent.

18. Roadsters.com

Roadsters.com

There's a good article about Jason's adventure over on the Road Racer X site. It includes an interview with him. Here's one paragraph. Quote:

I landed on my left shoulder, elbow, knee, and head. It sounded like I was riding on a belt sander. I didn’t lose consciousness, and I was sliding face-down for so long that I had time to think, "I’d better try to turn over."

Here's the full article:
    http://www.roadracerx.com/article.php?article_id=984

Dave

19. ScottyRod

ScottyRod

Unreal. Good to here he lived. When you concider that much less of a crash has done worse.

20. autobilly

autobilly

Second that opinion!

21. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

22. Roadsters.com

Roadsters.com