Register now to get rid of these ads!

Barn find of a lifetime

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by VA HAMB, Mar 24, 2007.

1. class 'A'

class 'A'
    from Casper,Wyo

The Algon alone for an Olds is about 5K!

2. badger

badger

Follow the 3 easy steps below:

1) get mechanicals up to snuff
    2) make it safe
    3)rip (as in destruction by obscene horsepower) the f#@&ing tires off that thing:)

3. I for one look forward to seeing this thing restored to it full former glory. It's not like he's going to restore it back to an original Model A pickup so it looks assembly line new. :rolleyes:

It's a drag/race car and how many of them have been morphed 22 ways from Sunday over the years and never been put back to their "former glory" but instead been updated and redone in the new owners eyes... and usually made to appear worse. Imagine if some clueless bastard had bought it and turned it into a rat-rod... or worse... a scrapper had gotten hold of it?

I look forward to seeing this one look just like it did back in the days.

(A big part of me really wants to know how much he paid for it... but I won't ask as that would be tacky.:D)

4. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

Thanks Decker, I would tell you but it would just make you sick!
    I haven't touched the car since it was photoed for Traditional Rod and Kulture back in October at the Jalopy Drags. I have a contract on a house and am moving as I write this. When my garage is complete the reserection will begin.
    I am still completely torn as what to with this thing. I agree with both sides.
    However I really believe that the only way to preserve this thing is to restore it. It has quite a bit of cancer. I probably will do it in stages. Restore the frame run the shit out of her then probably move on to the rest, depending on how i feal after stage one. Keep the coments going. I really want to hear them.
    Todd

5. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

[​IMG]Top Photo I believe is Richmond, VA

This bottom photo with the scoop is an early photo when Mr. Morris ran 2 Four Bls.
    [​IMG]

6. I read all about this altered in Rod and Kulture magazine. What a great story. my Dad used to race around Maryland in the early 60's into the 70's he remebered the name but not the truck. I grew up on a farm in the shenandoah valley and it is really cool to see a find come from the valley. Wish I would have found it.!!! Nice score!!:rolleyes:

7. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

Just in!!!!!!! Another photo from Jim. I heard that he had this one on top of his tool box at work. I've been after him for some time for a copy. He finally came through. What a photo!!!
    [​IMG]

8. abone1930

abone1930

Cool pick :D
    That truck is awesome.

9. airnwater

airnwater

Cool truck !

Please leave paint as is..!

Why not spray "cavity wax" to rust-proof it from behind & rub furniture wax on exterior....if you dont leave it outside it will be ok ...

Thats what the "hoodride"/ rat vw guys do in uk ....

10. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Thanks for keeping us updated on this. It's one of the coolest threads we have on here.

Frank

11. saratoga56

saratoga56
    from NY

12. Added a little life to the photo... That thing rules by the way!

Attached Files:

13. This would make a wonderful entry for our traditional Rod-A-Rama in Atlanta next March...just as it is, or with the motor put back in.

We'd love to have you bring her down.....

14. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I've seen that happen before, think of it as more of a preservation than a restoration. Get rid of the rot and let it lives it's former glory.

These guys have it right. Preserve the history, if you let it go the way it is it will just continue to deteriorate.

15. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

Thanks for the encouragement Zman. My goal is this photo, Probably minus the raised front. I dont have the original riser anyway. Found out over the weekend that the sign painter, Ronnie Monroe of Waynesboro passed away about a month ago. I was hoping to get him to do the truck again.

16. Since you asked for opinions ....
    I vote for a full restoration to the way it was raced. Since it shows rust and other ravages of age I think it deserves it. The only time I am for leaving them as found is when they have survived in very good condition, but this one hasn't. It appears, like most race cars, it went through various versions. Pick the one you like best and restore it to that version to the best of your ability and then run the snot out of it.
    JMHO

17. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

Another, This is the new poster for the Jalopy Drags. A must attend event by the way.
    [​IMG]

18. blackout

blackout

I was sure this was your truck when I saw this poster. Looking foward to updates now that you are settling in to your new digs. That's my kind of Hot Rod. Great find.

19. beatcad

beatcad

i saw that at the vintage drags last sunday and stared at it for quite some time.
    [​IMG]

20. AHotRod

AHotRod

Have you anymore new pictures or updates ?

21. solid

solid

Man that is friggin cool.

22. parksquijada

parksquijada
    from norcal

take it apart. clean it. put it back together. new tires. make it safe. dont change anything unless you have to. drive it! race it! for 25 years i regretted blasting some pieces on my 36 chief we found in cemetary (hidden 45 years!). it was called rusty paint back then, now it's patina!. just sold it. do yourself a favor and leave as orig as possible. vaya con Dios...bob

"dont fear dead people, they can't hurt you. it's the live one's you have to worry about".

Attached Files:

23. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Do the motor up right but don't change anything else...There is NOTHING you could do to improve the look.

24. Mr.Bomba

Mr.Bomba

This kinda reminds me of the story of my truck :D All I can say is this is now your truck and your turn to carry on what Mr.Morris has started im sure whatever you do to this truck will make Mr.Morris proud he may not show exitement but you know what! everybody is different some people express themselves different but give him time and involve him in as much as you possibly can because you dont know how long he'll be here for and this is the coolest thing that can happen to him being reunited with his old love in his elder years. That has to bring back lots of super memories to Mr.Morris But I myself would mechanicly go through it & roll it for awhile the way it is just for the Nostalgia end of it! Hell you might end up enjoying it more. Everytime I see a restored custom or rod I think to myself "I wonder if thats a clone or the real deal" the way your truck sits theres no Questioning that I Vote for leaving the body & paint as is :D trust me it will not deteriorate more it will outlive you.

25. if anyone ever paints over that cool stuff, they need to be assaulted in the nuts. Keep that baby classy, get it running great, breathe new life into it.

26. Crey

Crey
    from Tejas

I second that.

27. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

Nope, Nothing new. Haven't touched it since Manassas. Acually my Garage goes up this Wednesday. As soon as I get that done and power in. Then I will start. Oh and you might as well and go ahead and kick me in the balls because this one is getting a total face lift. It will definately be done correctly but it will be done.

28. 31whitey

31whitey

These old drag cars are being erased at an alarming rate...

This is the third one this week I've seen get changed.

First that bitchen red 32, the some rad light blue 34, and now yours...

You are at least keeping it a drag truck? right.

29. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

OK one more time. This is going to be "RESTORED" not redone into something I like. This truck is well documented and photographs abound. Look at the original Photos. This is what it will look like when im done. Im sorry but this truck deserves to be restored. Not left looking like some piece of shit RAT Rod. The truck is alot worse than the photos show. Leaving it alone would be a shame!

30. 31whitey

31whitey

I knew you wouldnt be a SHEEP and put in a flatty, unchannel it, and put fenders on it.

I'm all for the plan and cant wait to see it restored....

That total face lift line made me worry....hahaha.