Register now to get rid of these ads!

Some pics of a 57 Chevy that was in the shop

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tony, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Tony

Tony

I wanted to share a few pics of a 57 Belair that come's in the shop i work at.
    Each year, the owner bring's her in for it's yearly state inspection and we spend a little while bs'ing about stuff. We were recommended to him because mutual friends of ours know i have a 57 myself, and i kinda know my way around 55-57's fairly well. (there's even a 56 4 door there i had to do rear end work to)
    This year i decided to snap some pics of the car. Sorry for the poor quality, these are from my cell phone..it's all i had there.

Here's some info.
    The owner bought the car in 1962. Originally a 283 3 speed car, it was updated before the 63 season with another 283, but this one was much "hotter" than the stocker with solid cam and dual quads..and a 4 speed was added from a Vette.
    From 63 til 70 it was raced weekly locally and racked up many class champ awards..
    Some stickers were placed on the window, other he said he kept...

Sometime after 70 the little 283 was pulled in favor of a more streetable 68 350..but aside from that, and a gauge or two, it remains as it was from 62-63 when he bought/built it. The hole's in the dash where the tach was are still there..

The interior is the original, and is showing it's battle scars.. The paint, although not all original, is also getting thin and has a few primer band aids on it..

Black steel wheel's and bias ply's are still the one's from the day ( or close to it anyway..Poly-glas)..vintage traction bar's are still bolted in place ready to go..

He mentioned to me that he's been thinking about putting the old 283 back in service!
    The cars BADASS in every aspect! He's a real good guy who just like's his old '57. I tease him each year about selling it to me knowing it aint gonna happen.. I'd LOVE to own this car..

Anyway, just thought some of you might enjoy the pics and info..
    I sure as hell do everytime i see it!

Tony

Attached Files:

2. Thanks for sharing that! Awesome car!

3. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

I LOVE that car. Especially the weird color combination. I'd like to see it with the hot small block back in it..

I've got a pic of of a sharp, local '57 hardtop on the strip circa '77ish. The car is still around here. I'll post it up if you want to see it..

4. Tony

Tony

The color is one of the coolest thing's about it..And it's got just the right amount of age to it to look great, not shitty.. He's planning on having the few primer spot's touched up..Not a total repaint, just a little tlc.
    Another cool thing, even thought it's a small detail, is he took the rocket's off the hood and only left the base scoops. Did it back then and left it. Pretty cool i think.

Post the pic..i'd like to see it :)

5. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Cool!
    [​IMG]

6. Tony

Tony

Thats fuckin cool! LOVE the little bit of sunlight under those front wheels..
    Thanks.

7. Jeff Walker

Jeff Walker

That's a nice looking survivor. I redid a 57 Belair for a customer a couple years ago that was originally that same color with a black top. It left the shop here painted Tropical Turquoise with a white top though.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
  8. Tony

Tony

It's kinda funny really..to the best of my knowledge this car was a solid yellow top and bottom. My 57 is solid tropical turquoise top and bottom..both original combination's..a bit rare without the whipped cream toping.
    Most of the 57 hard top's around here have the ivory top in the original paint code..glad whoever ordered mine didn't opt for that..

9. Nomadness

Nomadness

WEIRD COLOR COMBO :confused:

[​IMG]

10. Tony

Tony

Well, wierd, or uncommon. It's not the usual black, red or turquoise....

11. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Kind of a cross between puke yella and piss green. :D kiddin'

Just an uncommon color, it's very flattering.

12. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Aw hell, it's just another one of them damned plain jane '57 Chevys...what the hell is so unique about them...???

R-

13. Ford Freak

Ford Freak

Neat car , Tony. Never seen it around here before.........:confused:

14. Nomadness

Nomadness

Colonial Cream ;) Yellow with some green tint :cool:

15. Tony

Tony

I know, who one earth would like them eh Roger? :D:D

Bernie, he's from the east side. Drive's in from the Fairport area if i'm not mistaken just to get an inspection.. Honestly, he dosn't drive it much anymore from what i've gathered. I think life got a hold of him years ago with responsibilities and it was set aside. I'd love to see him take it out more often, but he does still take it out a few times a year so at least it's not rotting away in a barn not moving at all.

16. henry29

henry29

Do you have a pic of your 57?
    I've never seen an all solid tropical turquoise 57.

17. Tony

Tony

Here's one from last year..the trim tag code was solid top and bottom tropical turquoise, so i just put it back that way. Never cared for the color, but now i can't see this car anything but.

Attached Files:

• 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      70.1 KB
      Views:
  18. That right there is a very quick lesson in cool.

19. autobilly

autobilly

I think Bob said "piss yella and puke green". But I get the gist, funny!

20. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Thanks Tony for the pic. (where have you been hiding.. give me a call) and its time to post updates on the PU and 32

21. Man I love that olor combo too....nice ride.....!!!

Rat

22. ChrisinPhilly

ChrisinPhilly

I'm running black steel wheels on my black 57 belair also. I kinda dig it that way. And without fail, whenever I get stop to get gas... someone advises me how cool my car would look with cragars. But that yellow 57 is just right as it sits.

23. bigmike

bigmike

I saw the car the other day on my way from work!

24. Tony

Tony

Cool isn't it? :D

ChrisinPhilly, i dig the black wheel's myself. One of the thing's that makes it look so cool.
    I need to get the new style Torque Thrust's off my car too..I have a vintage set of M/T 5 spokes in my basement for it..just havn't made the time to swap..I think they'd look a lot better..wheels and tires can make, or break a car.
    Boones..not much progress man.. Just brought the truck to my buddy's shop for the finish body and paint work. It's easier to handle the mess there.
    The 32, well, nothing at all going on there..yet anyway.
    We'll see what happens this winter.
    I'll post some pics of the truck when it look's like something..
    I'll call you soon..

Tony

25. bigmike

bigmike

I almost wrecked some poor fool in his Geo checking it in my rear view!

26. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

love the history

27. sledbuilder

sledbuilder

The guy actually live on the border of webster/penfield... I have stopped in the past an spoke to the owner, it is one of the coolest cars around. I'm a fan of the black steelie's too...wrapped in bias redlines.. When ever I drive by, i aleays look to make sure it is still there.

28. stretch 1320

stretch 1320

Dude, you are right, that thing is BADASS!

29. That car is killer and the black steelies mean business to those of us that know.

Kindo OT but different, an 88 Mustang pulled out behind me the other day. plain white, a little grungy. I noticed black steelies, and the tires looked kinda not OEM. This was the notchback, an altogether yawner. As he passed me at an idle........a NASTY idle, I noticed the shaved road racing radials. Not as cool as that 57 by light years but fun to see in this day of loud poseur street cars.