Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who had the coolest car in school?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Maxwedge66, Jul 31, 2008.

1. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

I had my dad's 66 Ford wagon - not cool, so I rode a 69 BSA 250 most days. I just bought my daughter a 99 Mustang GT so she will have one of the coolest cars in school.
    My buddy Steve had a 56 Chevy post model with headers, a 4pd and mags. It was school bus yellow and we used to cruise Valley Blvd in Alhambra. One night he snapped a u-joint drag racing and the drive line fell out on the street. We talked my dad into towing the car home with a chain. He wasn't suppoed to be out and my dad was cool so we unhooked the car and he coasted down hill the last block to his house. He thought he got away with it, then we heard the booming voice from his old man in the dark on the porch... STEVEN!.... busted!

Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
  2. had my first car back in 83/84 when i was 16, 1955 mercury..yes i chopped it..my first chop..chopped it in my parents driveway with my dads tools. not many tools,,skill saw..jig saw....painted it white with blue pearl, tuck&roll white interior,junk yard white walls, hydros, ..only if i still had that one.. dammm...dad sent that one to the junk yard after i let it sit in his back yard for a chick i met..nothing wrong with the car..he just needed to prove a point..it was his yard not mine..

3. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

Class of 1991, I went through 4 cars in high school ( only wreak one 1/2) but the one I drove the last few month of school was A 2 door 70 Chevy nova with A beat 307. One week after graduation it had A warm over 350. I shut down A lot of IROC's that summer. And I did it myself with guy my age. Lots of fun! Jared. ps at age 19 I got my first old car 53 chevy h/t belair. It wasn't nice

Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  4. Maxwedge66

Maxwedge66

Whoa gutted. Thankfully my dad never towed any of my cars to the junkyard, probably because he had more rusty old shit than I did.

5. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

I inherited my Dads '64 dodge wagon for my senior year, 1970-71. It was a 318, three on the tree, no power anything, radio delete car. Best thing was that my dad had ordered it wirh a interior color that wasn't supposed to be available on a station wagon so when he got it home from the dealer he promtly put some seat covers on it and some BIG black, heavy duty rubber floor mats in it. The original upholstery and carpet never saw the light of day again till i got it. I took off the seat covers and floor mats and had a brand new interior, it was perfect! It was far from the fastest thing at school but it got nicknamed "The Hemi Wagon" :p A friend had a '65 Pontiac LeMans with a 326 PowerGlide. We raced nearly eery morning on a short loop of expressway locally called the Bypass. The muscle car guys all wondered where we went all those moening and when we told them we were racing they wanted in. The next morning as we lined up to race all the real fast cars were lined up behind us. As we went tottering off in our "race" we were being passed on the shoulders by a string of Novas, A '70 T/A, 440 Charger, Mustang, etc. Funny note: the guy with the '70 T/A was doing a smoke run one morning in the parking lot, now this was at a Catholic school, and the nun in our homeroom looks out the window and says...." My, that car is burning a lot of oil"......

6. wbulick76

wbulick76

Wasn't much really cool in the lot at my school. Lots of 5.0 Mustangs. Then in the corner, all the way in the back was where me and my friends all parked. The line up went something like 1970 Tempest T-37, 1970 Monte Carlo, 1971 Chevelle SS, and then my spot-filled with a 1968 Plymouth Sport Satellite. 383, manual valve body 727, 4.11 gears. BIG slot mags with Pro-Tracs. Well remembered at Strongsville High School in Ohio as the car that drifted sideways into the principal while doing a very smokey burnout in the parking lot.

7. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

I remember a '66 Caprice at my high school that I thought was the best. The kid that drove it was 3 or 4grades ahead of me and I don't remember his name. It was a medium blue with no vinyl top and very little trim. About the the only chrome on the car were the dog dish hub caps and the 427 emblems on the fenders. A 4 speed car also.

8. Smokin' Joe

Smokin' Joe
    Member Emeritus

Actually the coolest car at our school was a new orange '68 Judge. At the time I was in 9th grade and I didn't know the kid personally, but his dad taught shop class. Anyhow, he went to 'Nam and never returned. My black '55 Chevy with blue tinted side glass (liquid-aplied) was my favorite, tho', with a 327 and a 4-speed. Man, I wish...

9. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In high school I drove a real sweet '82 Oldsmobile Delta 88 two-door...and worked on a '40 ford tudor sedan. I thought I was going to get it done for senior year, but I didn't get it done until this summer (senior year in college)... just finding out if the chicks dig it or not...

Attached Files:

10. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

ME,

it was so cool,old men were so jealous and acussed me of driving my dads car.

11. Jarred Hodges

Jarred Hodges

I am hoping to get the 51 F-1 in my avatar drivable before I graduate.

12. Joe Daddy

Joe Daddy

Well I wasnt as lucky as most you. I drove a 1978 ford station wagon. Yeah everyone thought it was my dads, but no sir, all mine. Yeap, $100.00 in payments. Not bad!

13. Rooster

Rooster

There was a fast 65 Mustang that unfortunately got tore down for upgrades before I could race him. Highlights would include, I beat the built 69 Camaro when he chunked his driveshaft, that one didn't come back either. Tied 1/1 the 69 Charger and ironically his older brother did the initial work on my R/T before I got it. There were others who didn't race obviously fast cars. Guess I was fastest tested. But that was just among HS guys. There was some seriously wicked machinery on the weekend streets. You just knew who not to mess with.
    I got banned from school property for massive burnouts with that car, so I got another for cruisin!lol!

14. El Carne's 53'

El Carne's 53'
    from Oceanside

I had a bitch'n 70' Plymouth Satillite that my dad bought for $2000 bucks for me from a guy who needed college tuition...it was original black on black with a 440 in it....it was bad to the bone man....SOME GUY T_BONED ME on my 4 time driving it (completely his fault) in some big SUV....the car was totaled and i walked away without a scratch....I still miss that car man....

15. Wasn't me either. The lot was full of 55-57 chevies, stude coupes ,plymouths and fords. Coolest was the kid who sported this honduras maroon 57 chev 2 door sedan with factory fuel injection 283 and a 4 speed.
    I cruised a red and white 56 Olds rag top. I hated it because it was the giant 98 series. Yanked the engine out to put in a cherry pie 50 ford my buddy owned.
    I swapped off the engineless olds convertible for a 55 ford mainline 2 door sedan in my senior year.....leaky 272, 3 speed O.D.

16. DaxxRuckus

DaxxRuckus

I graduated in 2001, so you didn't see a whole of real cars, mostly crap imports that the ricer kids "raced" and other newer crap. However, there were a few of us that had some real rides. my first car was a '66 mustang when I was 16, and I drove that throughout high school. Restored it completely with my dad. Then I got into a fist fight with the quarterback of our football team over a parking space, and the next day my mustang was keyed all across the hood and down the sides.

What a pussy. I'm all for settling a score with fists if its necessary, but you NEVER f*ck with another mans car. Especially not my mustang. Lets just say he had some pretty thorough revenge coming to him.

When I was 17, my dad and I picked up a '61 lincoln continental, and I drove that or the mustang for the rest of high school. That thing turned heads. And had a HUGE back seat ;) bigger than a twin bed. haha

still have the mustang sitting in my parents garage - the summer before I left for college we started a disk brake conversion...got as far as removing all of the front suspension and then I moved to Santa Barbara for school. Its still in the garage today waiting for that conversion to be finished. My dad sold the lincoln a couple years later since it wasnt driven much when I was at school. But damn, that was a sweet ride.

I think it sucks that a lot of people my age, and even when I was in school - dont appreciate real cars. I'm just glad my dad raised my brother and i right, we had to build these working models of v8 engines before we were even allowed to drive.

17. JRODHOTROD

JRODHOTROD
    from Manor, TX

18. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

I would sneak my step dads 67 fastback to school during lunch break.
    Of course this brought out the lunch time drag racing. Trash talk but all in good nature. Sometimes serious...which sucked. Really a great group of guys.
    Fellow motor head Dave had a 38 plymouth all primer with a 327..Billy had a 62 Nova 4 door sleeper with a 383 stroker.
    Brain had a 66 Ford Fairlane. Dave had the multi color 69 Lemans.
    Jim had a ragged out 67 fastback...and then Tommy the jock had a 68 GT 500 KR vert....this kinda trumped us all.
    We cruised Everhart (sonic) and Weber and then hit the Alameda car wash then ending up drag racing Ocean Drive till 4 am or when the cops showed.

19. Grew up in Duarte and remember that Pie Wagon. It inspired me to paint my delivery with "Uncle Donnie's Meat Co, You can't beat our meat"

Didn't have a car in HS though, just a Honda CB160 café racer. BUT there was guy a school that had two cool cars - a 48 Thames Panel with a 327 and the narrowest Corvette rear end you've ever seen and a 69 Corvair with a mid engine conversion that was reputedly a Traco built 302 Chevy Trans Am motor!

Last edited: Aug 26, 2008
  20. I grew up in a family of hotrodders so it was in my blood. When I was 14 (1979) I decided I could settle for nothing less than a '57 Chevy. After thousands of 'hints' to my dad who was finishing up a modified '68 VW Beetle, we found a decent two door hardtop in the local parts yard. We traded that '68 Beetle to the guy who also operated a used car dealership, and brought home not just the '57 hardtop, but a '57 station wagon and a '56 Chevy 210 two door sedan to boot! I worked my skinny little ass off on that 57 hardtop for the next two years and just got it on the road for my 16th birthday. Painted it (remember the time period) candyapple red, solid white button-tuft interior, original 283 with 3 speed in the floor. After burning the clutch out, I did swap the 3 speed for and automatic. I went to a small county high school and it was a cool car. One of the favorite pass times in my school was parking with your sweetheart gal on some old logging road mile out in the woods. I took that 57 Chevy where some people would have been afraid to attempt with a 4 wheel drive! Still have dreams of having that car back!

21. 55_International

55_International
    from SLC, Utah

I drove a 1979 Cutlas. It was a real rust bucket, but it was mine. My dad is a mechanic, so he always had some kind of cool project going that I could sneak out for a test drive or two. Occasionaly, It ook the 64.5 Mustang out for a spin.

22. Gman0046

Gman0046

Not me. I had a '47 Ford coupe with a merc flathead and Smitty Steel Packs that I bought for $125. Not the fastest but made some noise. When the starter's Bendix spring broke we pushed it to start going in the morning and coming home in the afternoon. It beat walking.

23. had a 67 chevelle 283 4spd -70 nova 350/350, 70 chevy truck & a 68 impala wagon 327, turbo 400 with a 12 bolt rear

24. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

I know this is a picture of a model car... But this is what I drove to school my junior year. A tube frame full blown drag car that was a beast. It had a real '69 302 (Chevy by the way) with Bowtie heads, Roller cam, Big Edelbrock Tunnel ram, 2 660's, and two 250hp nitrous plates. Liberty 4-speed with a Long inline shifter, Dana 60 w/ 14-32 Goodyear slicks (straight grooved for the street you know...) The car "would" run 5:90's in the 1/8th on a good pass...which I was not able to do on a regular basis at 16 years old. This was my everyday car as a high school kid.

My oldedst son is now 16 years old and I would be a total WRECK if I thought he was driving that BEAST.

I must be getting old! Dammit!

Later,
    Kevin
    Ooltewah Speed Shop
    www.kevkographics.com

Attached Files:

• Vega.jpg
      Vega.jpg
      File size:
      43.3 KB
      Views:
  25. my school was new bmw's, rabbits, mbz and lifted toyota trucks. i knew nothing about cars (had no one to teach me), but i had a '73 camaro. trying to be a gearhead in laguna beach in 1987 was tough.......altho i did know someone that had a WWII troop transport :).

26. Our parking lot looked like an ad for muscle cars are us. Mine was a 67 Mustang GTA, 390 auto. It was quick but not the fastest. Hot rods were non-existent at that time. All I can say was "it was a great time to be young". I remember walking by the Ford dealership on the way to junior high and falling in love every day. They had cars with 4 speeds, bucket seats, factory tachs. I remember seeing the first 65 Mustang fastback with a hipo 289. I was in love for a long time. Even though this thread is about high school, it's been a great time to be alive.

27. Roadsters.com

Roadsters.com

When I was in high school, the "coolest car" there was a red, almost-legal, street-driven '66 Nova race car. It sat high, had a full cage, was powered by a too-radical mouse driving a Muncie. The front fenders were covered with decals and the doors were lettered with the car's name, "Deuces are Wild". With help from a pair of six-foot ladder bars, it hooked up nicely and pulled the front wheels on hard 1-2 shifts.

Dave
    http://www.roadsters.com/

28. ds50

ds50
    from Tyler TX

A guy a couple of years older than me had a late 30s international pickup lowered shortened bed and a big block chevy. Baddest was a buddy of mine had a 74 vette 355 full roller ghetto tru spoke wire wheels ran 11:00. my car was a 50 chevy two door fasback on a 78 el camino chassis. It was so low I could not run a front bumper. Ran a 283, Th 350. And yes I built it from the ground up. With dads help of course. :)

29. lukescoupe

lukescoupe
    from oklahoma

I just graduated 2 years ago and I was the only person at my high school with an actual running hot rod, a purple 1970 challenger. It had a 440 with 10:1 comp., air gap intake 525 lift cam, and the rear was a dana 60 with 4.10's. A lot of car for a 16 year olds fist car. Everyone wanted a ride expecially the girls. By the way I purchased the car with my own hard earned cash unlike most my age.

30. Maxwedge66

Maxwedge66

Holy cow, just how many paper rounds did you have! Yes hard to imagine 16 yro kids driving that sorta stuff today. Mind you had a couple of uncles around that age once flew Landcaster bombers in WW2. They used to shoot at ricers, not drive 'em.