Register now to get rid of these ads!

235 Motor and Trans ?'s

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jrolla2k3, Aug 12, 2008.

1. jrolla2k3

jrolla2k3

Hey guys,

Im getting ready to stab my 54 with the 235 and muncie I have, and have a few questions. Ive read up alot about the proper parts I need to make this combo wok, but the two things im unable to find are what 12 volt key starter will work with my setup. I have the 235 from a 56 chevy truck, a Muncie 4 speed with the flywheel and clutch from the same 56 truck, and two different bellhousings, a 54 car, and the one from the 56 truck. First, is there any reason to use on of the bellhousings over the other? From what I can deduct im making or modifying mounts either way, so is one preferred over the other? Second, what 12volt key starter is the correct on to use? The truck had a foot actuated 6volt starter in it, and my car obviously has a key starter. I ordered a clutch fork from Tom Meyers today, and these are the last two remaining parts Im unsure of. I know that starters usually are mated to the tooth count of the flywheel, and this is what im unsure of, how do I determine what tooth flywheel I have?
    If it matters, I have already rewired the entire car with an EZ wiring kit from Gambinos, so everything is setup for 12volts. Ive also heard that there are issues with the Muncie and the angle of the clutch fork, at any rate I ordered the fork for the '56 chevy bellhousing, so I guess thats the one Im using. I really need your guys help, since im a complete rookie and have no idea what works together other than the information I have recieved on the HAMB. :D Thanks in advance!

Jaison

2. squirrel

squirrel

If you have 55 or newer flywheel then it should be 12v, the difference is that 6v use one tooth count, 12v uses the other tooth count. So just get a starter for a 55-62 car. Trucks used the foot pedal thru 59 with 6 cyl and manual trans.

I don't know which bellhousing to recommend, they are really similar, just different size and number of bolt holes. The car mounts might be easier to attach without building a crossmember under the bellhousing. Or you could use a later bellhousing if you are putting side mounts on the engine and a crossmember under the back of the trans. Not all 235 blocks have side mount holes, though!

3. jrolla2k3

jrolla2k3

Thanks Squirrel, Ive spoken with you before on this topic, and youve been great help! The bellhousings are very similiar, thats why I think either one will work just fine, so just any starter from a 55-62 car and thats all?

Jaison

4. jrolla2k3

jrolla2k3

Hey Squirrel, does the starter have to be for a 6 cylinder, or will a V8 starter do?

Jaison

5. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

You need to decide which motor mounts you can use, because that will effect the bell housing or trans mounts you will need. not all side mounts are the same, like the post 63 chevys. And yes, any 55 up starter (stovebolt ONLY) should work, I am using a 62 truck flywheel, starter, 57 ish bellhousing, 54 engine,and stock 53 fork setup. It isn't perfect, but it works.

6. MotorBike Mike

MotorBike Mike

I'm doing a similar swap in my '54... I'm using a 60's Saginaw though. My 235 has side mounts, so I'm building a tail shaft cross member for it.

I had to locate the mid 50's truck bell housing because the car bell housing has the wrong bolt pattern on the trans side, So you wouldn't be able to use the car one anyway. have you checked the input shaft length against you existing trans? you might need to have it shortened (or at least thats what i was told here). also, what spline input shaft is on the Muncie? I think the only thing you would have to change is the disc, as the flywheel from the truck, the pressure plate and throwout bearing should stay the same.

If your 235 has side mounts this will be the easiest swap of your life. If it has front mounts you need to locate the truck bell housing cross member which will make your life a lot easier. they sell the rubber mounts for those cross members for pretty cheap, so you'll just have to modify the ends to fit your frame.

Hope this helps,
    Mike

7. Snarl

Snarl

55-57 blocks do not have the 3 bolt side mounts. I've gone over what to do about this several times. Search "snarl".

55-62 cars will have a 12V solinoid activated starter.

Using the '54 car bellhousing will make the clutch fork angle issue go away, but you will need to use an adapter plate from Buffalo Enterprises to mount the tranny, and you will need a little longer pilot bushing to compensate for the tranny being moved back the thickness of the spacer.

If you use the truck bellhousing, the tranny will bolt up, but the fork will be at the wrong angle. I have a solution for this. PM me if you plan to go this route.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2008
  8. squirrel

squirrel

Thanks for clearing that up Snarl, I thought about the fork angle thing but should have mentioned it.