Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help with brke lines

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bolsa boy, Aug 10, 2008.

1. bolsa boy

bolsa boy

Just a qwik question. Should I run the brake line coming out of the maxter cylinder over or under the exaust pipe?

2. chaddilac

chaddilac

Uh... over the top, as close to the frame rail as you can get it... I'm assuming its a floor mount for some reason?

3. As far from it as possible no matter where.

4. Ole don

Ole don

If it must go within three inches of a header pipe, place a heat sheild between them. Just a chunk of tin on a bracket about three or four inches square.

5. Dirty2

Dirty2

I agree on this !

6. Ole Pork

Ole Pork

Yeah, it's gotta go over the exhaust pipe. For the reason, that if you put it under and had a dropped exhaust pipe, you're gonna get brake trouble, and fast. If it's under the pipe, you can also snag it on road debris, etc. And the heat shield is VERY important, as Ole Don pointed out. You don't wanna know what happens when brake fluid boils. Good luck...

7. Over/under? Explain.........what kinda funkiness you have going on?

8. 29paul

29paul

9. bolsa boy

bolsa boy

It is a floor mounted MC. And I guess running the lines over the top with a heat shield is the way to go. Thanks guy's

10. Bigblock351w

Bigblock351w
    BANNED

i say wrap the line around the pipe 3 1/2 times and see what happens.... ( you really shouldn't listen to me)

11. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Get it as high as you can and over to the frame as soon as you can. Any horizontal run in space is an open target for road debris to snap the line in two. A heat shield can often be designed to be a stone shield as well as a heat shield. Lots of stuff flying around under the car that can take out an unprotected brake line.