Register now to get rid of these ads!

new guy here - 55 Pont 860 wagon

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by JoeB, Aug 1, 2008.

1. JoeB

JoeB

Finally decided to sign in - great site! Slowly working on my wagon, it now runs and drives, but can't leave town with it yet - can't find 3rd gear and it has the shimmeys and shakes! Plans are for old school - stock looks, I want a good cruiser for running down the highway. Definately staying with Pontiac motor - would like overdrive but torn between stick and auto - and I like the 3 on the tree, but this one is well worn...I see there are several of you out there with similar Pontiacs! Anyone found a source for the ribbed linoleum flooring? Found it precut for Tri-fives, but wrong colors, and I found "battleship linoleum" but I want to keep looks as close to original as I can...thanks for letting me join in...
    Joe B

Attached Files:

2. Stu Cool

Stu Cool

Welcome from another left coaster. Love to see those non-Chevy tri-fives. Nice car!

Pat

3. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Welcome aboard. Is the column worn or the trans, I gave up looking for the manual set-up on my car. But have a manual trans/manual stick column left over. I would double check your linkage and adjustments first.

4. JoeB

JoeB

My guess is that it is in the linkage - have not tried to fiddle with it yet.
    About 50% of the time it drops into 3rd just fine, other times just can't find 3rd. Things are pretty well worn - car has maybe 175,000 miles racked up mostly from local trips.
    Joe B

5. axle

axle
    from Drag City

I had the twin to your car ! Same color too !

6. 55chieftain

55chieftain

If the linkage is unrepairable, I think I have some extra laying around

7. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

There is a 4 door parts car not far from me. If you need the linkage, I can check it out next week. I'm going to look at a '57 on the 15th. Can't wait!

8. Speaking of coincidence...I had just finished posting pictures of the '55 Pontiac Chieftain 860 two-door wagon I recently bought, when I looked at the top of the page and saw the title to your post....

Your wagon's a mighty nice ride! Welcome to the board; it's nice to see another Poncho person around to dilute the "Bones & Banjo" bunch.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
  9. wvenfield

wvenfield

Cool wagon. Not enough Pontiacs around. Dang parts are hard to come by.

I have a 56 hdtp.

10. (Where are the parts ? Crusher City! All sold when steel went up in the 1990's, big oops because people have run out of Chevys.)

Welcome!