Register now to get rid of these ads!

Torque specs for early olds rocker towers..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by touchdowntodd, Jul 31, 2008.

1. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

who can help me out?

thought i had bad valve seals, pulled the valve cover off today to see taht one pushrod was bent and had the top 1-1/2" cut off it who knows how many years ago..

anyways, help from my friend is gettin me the pushrod today, which is AWESOME.. and im gonna throw that in and see if that is the reason for the smoke comin out that side of the engine (exhaust valve, so probably i figure and everyone i talk to figures too)..

KNEW i shoulda bought those ISKY ones that were on ebay a week or two ago! hahah...

ps - think i should just go ahead and swap to my #10 head rockers as well? i have a #2 head 51 olds, so swappin would give me the 1.8 ration on the rockers, and maybe a lil more ooomph.. what do ya think? do it while im at it, or wait? the #10 heads i have are in decent shape and everything seems nice and tight. those rockers could make a lil difference until i can afford to have the heads rebuilt..

olds gods? rocketeers? haha

2. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

hahhaa, pics for fun..

i was lookin at the heads, and was like, "wait a minute... what the fuck... ?"

haha

heres a pic of the rod too.. lil "s" curve too it, and about 11/2-13/4" shorter than the stock one next to it

Attached Files:

3. DON_WOW

DON_WOW
    Member Emeritus

65 on the head bolts and 15 on the little ones to the head

4. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

big bolts are 60-70 ft.lbs small bolts are 14-22 ft.lbs

5. CGkidd

CGkidd

Swap to the #10's you will definately improve the power.

6. Bobert

Bobert
    Member Emeritus

Were did the rest of the bent pushrod go?
    Going to #10s will require the later exhaust manifolds if you're using cast iron.

7. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

my new worry is that i got a new rod, and noticed it seems to want to fall down the hole all the way... like there is no lifter? odd thing is the other pushrod was being held in there, i had to press against the lifter to get the rod out cause it was only 4/5ths there... so im sure there is a lifter there.. or so i think.. i can go on funny angles and find a lip that holds the pushrod up sorta, but only on one extreme angle.. its almost like the lifter fell to the side?

Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  8. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

wish me luck for tomorrow morning boys... damnit, i coulda bought an engle cam on here like a few months ago too! shit, i passed cause of $...

damn...

i hope i PRAY i DREAM it isnt a flat lobe..