Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rolling Bones Bonneville trip details

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AV8Paul, Jul 31, 2008.

1. AV8Paul

AV8Paul
    Member Emeritus

We finally got the rooms reserved in each city we're stopping at, as we cross the country, on the way to Bonneville. Ken and Keith are not the kind of car guys that like to sit around at a cruise night or fairgrounds, dusting off their cars in hopes of getting a plastic trophy. They, along with their miscredant friends, much prefer to drive their cars cross-country. Hanging out in the motel parking lots at the end of a long day on the road and eating pizza/chicken wings, downing a few (?) cold ones, is what we feel is some real fun. We'll be checking our cars over to make sure they're ready for another day of pounding on them to the next overnight. These cars are built to be driven on the road, not parked and polished.

So, if you're into pure hot rods, racing at Maxton, El Mirage and Bonneville and you're anywhere near one of our nightly stops, get into your hot rod and join us for a couple of hours. That is, unless you would rather go to some local cruise and see the same twenty-five street rods and muscle cars you can see every week.

Here is where we'll be each of the five night as we travel to Bonneville.

August 10th: Erie, PA. Country Inn & Suites, Peach Street. about 5-5:30

August 11th Indianapolis, IN. Motel 6 Indianapolis East, 2851 N Shadeland Ave 5-5:30

August 12th Des Moines, IA. Motel 6 7655 Office Plazza North, 5-5:30

August 13th North platte, NE. Motel 6 1520 Jeffers St. 5-5:30

August 14th Rawlins, WY. Econo Lodge 1599 West Spruce St. 5-5:30

August 15th BONNEVILLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So come on by and see the Rolling Bones road crew.

Ken Schmidt driving the newly completed George Poteet '34 coupe.
    Keith Cornell driving his newly rebuilt '32 three winda.(59c)
    Dan Parker (Limey Dan) driving Kens '32 three winda (575)
    Bronx Brian driving his newly built '32 coupe
    Jake Roberts driving his recently finished '32 three winda (he's been building this for years)
    Jim Flemming driving his newly built '32 roadster.
    Russell Daly driving his newly finished '27 tub
    Paul Howard driving his newly, "sorta chopped" slighly worn AV8 roadster.(37B)
    Chris (cshabang) driving the tow truck hauling the RB's high speed div race car.
    Wayne "WOODY" Woodward, driving the tow van hauling the RB's XFGR race car (slow speed div)

Hope to see many of you at our overnights.

AV8Paul

2. Couldnt they find some better cars to drive gosh. J/k

Dman look at that list 34, 32,32,32,32,32,27,av8 thats a group of cars i would love to see barreling down the HWY.

3. uncle max

uncle max
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You'll need a Parade Permit when you cross the Utah line! :D

4. muroc

muroc

Hey Paul I was waiting for that list to appear................not long to go unil the fun starts........

5. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

You will be two days ahead of us, I'll see ya on the Salt Sunday noon-ish....and remember you promised me a ride :D

Travel safe my friend

6. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Do you guys know if your going thru the Chicagoland area? Love to see the line up and say hello:D

7. AV8Paul

AV8Paul
    Member Emeritus

Dan,
    I got pretty busy yesterday. Grandkids are visiting here on the Cape. "had" to take them claming yesterday....got a little too much sun. My wife was upset, I just told her I was "in training" for Bonneville.
    The fun is right around the corner!!!!

8. AV8Paul

AV8Paul
    Member Emeritus

Don't worry, you're getting a ride. Just say a little prayer that my rattle trap av8 makes it out there.

9. hiboyroadsterboy

hiboyroadsterboy
    from Mass

Have fun Paul,I think Woody will have a blast.

10. muroc

muroc

Hey Paul dont have to much fun before we leave, its alright for you retired guys.........

Your old AV8 will do you proud Im certain, even if it only has a gentleman chop!!!

Hey Chris hows the missing parts for the high speed division coming along????????????

Dan

11. AV8Paul

AV8Paul
    Member Emeritus

After going South of Chicago in 2005 and being in stop-n-go traffic for many hours, we changed the route in '06 and now go South near Cleveland, around Columbus to Indy, then North to Davenport. Too much traffic. These cars with hot cams, don't do well in stop-n-go. The new Rt is a little longer, but much quicker. Sorry.

12. AV8Paul

AV8Paul
    Member Emeritus

Thanks John. Woody WILL have a blast.....you won't be able to tell with his serious demeanor, but I'm know he'll enjoy this experience.

13. Too bad you had to stop in Rawlins...horrible place...

14. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

What is your south of Cleveland to Columbus route? Even though I'll see you in Bonneville it would be great to see you all en route at speed!:D

15. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Have a safe trip !

16. AV8Paul

AV8Paul
    Member Emeritus

Most likely, we'll be taking 90 out of Erie to 271 to 71 South. Then around Columbus to RT 70 West to Indy. After overnighting East of Indy, we'll pick up RT 74 and stay on it to Davenport IA. There we'll pick up RT 80 for the run to Des Moines, IA.

17. Minewithnoshine

Minewithnoshine

I'd LOVE to make it out there this year, but funding is a little low at the current time and we're in the process of moving the shop... HAVE A GREAT TIME GUYS!!!!

18. Pete

Pete

PAul,

Myself and the guys are leaving Boston a bit later than you guys. We plan to leave saturday the 16th and be there wed. some time. We have about 4 cars driving out. We hope to see some fellow yanks on the salt!.

Pete-

Alter boys

19. RAWLINS??

Have you ever been there before? It sucks ass. Wish you would have drove 100 more miles West to Rock Springs, then I could have eyeballed your cars in person. Alot more to do here than in Rawlins. Next year I would stop here, then I could down some wings and beer with ya.

I'll be watchin I-80 to see ya drive by.

Geno

20. AV8Paul

AV8Paul
    Member Emeritus

Wish you guys were going to be part of the caravan. What a show that'd be. Good luck and have a safe trip.
    Paul

21. AV8Paul

AV8Paul
    Member Emeritus

Geno,
    Last time we tried to stay at R.S., we couldn't find a room. The Sturgis boys had filled the rooms. We had to push on to Evanston an hour before sunset, with two cars running on battery power only. We made it in just about an hour. Rawlins fit into our miles per day plan. Who knows, Rock Springs may be where we stop for breakfast on the 15th.
    Paul

22. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

Have a safe trip Paul and most important have another great time out there!
    I'll see you back at the ranch!!

PS: Make sure you grab a pic of Woody crakin that first big grin!

23. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

What a road trip. I'm jealous.

24. AV8Paul

AV8Paul
    Member Emeritus

Thanks Keith. This could be the best trip yet.

I'll be watching Woody close, with camera ready. Imagine a guy who drives 600+ miles everyday for his job, wanting to drive 5,000 miles on his vacation.

25. You guys will be going right past my house on I-90. Between Rt44 and Rt615 exits in Concord, Ohio there is a rest area ad I live on the south side just beyond the ramp getting back on I-90 heading east. WATCH OUT FOR RADAR in Lake County. Lots of local Smokies especially between RT 306 and I-271 interchange. I-271 from I-90 all the way south to Rt8 is loaded with local Sokies too. The hide behind the bridge supports in the middle between the express and local lanes. Be careful on I-71 between Medina (Rt18) through Mansfield (Rt30) especially around Lodi I-76 Rt224 lots of Ohio State Patrol and they are not bashful. About 20 miles north of Columbus is bad too before you get to I-470

In 2005 I was running with you guys from RT306 on I-90 on I-271 and a little on I-480 when you where headed to I-80. The same time as the pics for Rodder's Journal were taken. I was in my daily driven (Rustang). You all were pretty lucky as I recall we were doing about 75+ in 60 zones. Didn't see any RADAR then but I figured they could catch all of us at once. It ha gotten alot worse since then. Locals and State need the $$$.

What time wll you be come thru Lake county I-90 RT44? There are alot of HAMBERS around here including Littleman and Don Moyer. I will be heading west on I-90 Sunday morning to go to the Lake Erie Islands near Sandsky.

26. flash

flash

Hey Paul that's the route we're taking too basically. Although we'll head a bit farther south into Ohio to stay at my folks' place for one night. 271 around Cleveland and then 71 South is usually pretty easy. That's how I always cut through Ohio. 71 cuts right through Columbus and depending on the time of day it might be a bit backed up, but never as bad as Boston or Chicago traffic!

See ya out there
    Tony

27. AV8Paul

AV8Paul
    Member Emeritus

Thanks for the heads-up about the speed traps....Don't need any of those problems....the cost of gas is putting me behind the 8 ball as it is.

We'll probably be in the RT 44 area mid morning on the 11th. It's impossable to be accurate when you're traveling in a large group and vintage engines in your hot rod.

That's cool that you were shadowing us in '05. 75 in a 60??? That was a slow stretch, i guess. We were usually around 80+, but that was after we got into Iowa and beyond. Man, that was a trip and a half......lots of memoriable experiences that year....most of them good.

28. AV8Paul

AV8Paul
    Member Emeritus

Tony,
    There's no traffic as bad as Boston or Chicago.........I'm sure someone will jump in here with a horror story or two, but I stick to my claim.

We will probably go around Columbus on 270.

See you on the salt..

29. muroc

muroc

Up she goes.........

30. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

thanks Paul you too. Jared