Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Too pretty not to post...... Boss 302 Chinook

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Henry Floored, Jul 27, 2008.

1. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

Sorry if this is slightly O/T, but I just can't stop drooling over this 1970 Formula 5000 Chinook. I got these pics from the Ford FE forum. This is a genuine cast iron Boss 302 powered car complete with a pair of Autolite inline carbs. Thought some of you might enjoy these.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. noboD

noboD

It's not OT to me, if it has tits or tires. Most 5000's I've seen have SBC engines. Thanks for sharing.

3. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

more eye candy......

[​IMG]

4. Drive Em

Drive Em

The Boss 302's and 351 C's with the factory aluminum valve covers like the one's in the pic above are the best looking engines in my book.

5. oldsman71

oldsman71

that would be fun to play with it! im not picky ill run the heck out of any kind of race car!!!

6. i like it and im a chevy guy , thanks!

7. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

x2 :)

Brad

8. Fishtail8

Fishtail8

I want to hear it run!

9. rabidcustoms

rabidcustoms
    from Iowa

10. 55olds88

55olds88

Lots down here run Holden derivitive.
    Hope to take my son to some historic racing this summer.

11. Petey

Petey

That's really cool.
    I had one of those Autolite Inline carbs at my desk for a while about a year ago for a project I was working on for SEMA. They are really interesting pieces and very rare.

12. Roadsters.com

Roadsters.com

Attached Files:

13. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

Yea me two

14. Splinter

Splinter

You should see some of the sick Gurney Eagle/Gurney Westlake stuff from back in the day....multi-valve heads, reverse flow with the carbs on the exhaust ports and headers on the intake.....Talk about some HIGH DOLLA setups!

15. Yep, bring back the F5000 and the Original Trans Am series! (no that's not screamin chicken Pontiac racing)
    The very first Long Beach Grand Prix was F5000 and I haven't been the same since

16. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

What's a power to weight ratio? HAHAHAAA

Best sounding engines on earth.

17. While we're at it (dreaming), bring back Can-Am & obscenely large big blocks. :D

18. A Chopped Coupe

A Chopped Coupe

Well, the SCCA has been talking with auto manufactures about bringing back the TransAm series.......................we will wait and see what happens.
    Unfortunately it will not be with Vintage, but new Mustangs, Camaros, and Cudas battling it out at Laguna Seca and Sears Point again.
    Here is a picture of a restored CanAm Huffacker Genie with SBC/48Webers and open headers, sounds really good going down the straight a 160+MPH.

Attached Files:

19. Roadsters.com

Roadsters.com

20. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

21. 55olds88

55olds88

Can-am wouldn't be the same with out the Bruce and Denny show :)

22. There's already a couple of good Vintage Trans Am series. One only for cars that actually ran in the day, no new builds. Unfortunately there's only so many left so the price of admission there is high if you wanna play.
    If they could get it right for a series with the new Mustang, Challenger and Camaro on hard tires like the old days we could see some great sideways racing!

23. Ford called that intake and carb set up the "Cross-Boss" A friend of mine had one way back when in a Boss 302 'stang. He bought it in New York and drove it to San Francisco. No idea what the miles per gallon was and nobody cared.

24. sv_i

sv_i

I track marshalled a the Phillip Island Classic here in Australia (have a search if you haven't heard of it, it's the largest race meet in the Southern Hemisphere) in 2007 when the F5000's were running. The noise was incredible. I'm not a fan of open wheeler racing (I would love to see a new version of the trans am SCCA series or at least see some of the old racers running), but it was brilliant.
    Most of the cars that run here are maintained in New Zealand as apparently that's where all the talented mechanics are that can keep them running.

25. The37Kid

The37Kid

I just started helping a friend get his Chevy powered LOLA Formulia 5000 ready for the Fall Festival at Lime Rock, hasn't been raced since 1995. He thinks a new paint job will make it easier to sell.

26. F5000 was pretty big in Australia back then too. Can't remember anything but SBC's though. That Ford is neat!

27. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

28. FNG

FNG
    from New Jersey
    1. HAMB Relays

Now you drop that sucker in a nice all steel 32 highboy and you got yourself a HotRod

29. DeuceFever

DeuceFever

Look closely at the top right pic, these came from our personal collection of pics..

[​IMG]