Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A 12v. question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bikertrash, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Bikertrash

Bikertrash
    from Boise

I'm new and seeking knowledge... My father has given me his 1930 Model A Coupe. (How cool is that?) It needs a bunch of new things to make it more reliable. The starter is the first step on a very long journey. My dilema is buying a 6v. or a 12v. starter. It needs a new battery and possibly a new or rebuilt generator. The goal is to return it to stock but I would be willing to change to 12v. if it made the car more reliable. My red haired wife doesn't find it quaint to walk home when the A breaks down. I don't have any big electrical things (stereo etc.) other than cowl lamps. What are the advantages of having a 12v. system? Thanks for any suggestions.

Attached Files:

2. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

The 6 volt starter loves 12 volts

3. Nice looking car. Wish I had someone give me something like that.

Run the 6 volt starter on 12 volts. It will spin faster and start easier. Upgrade the 6 volt generator witha 12 volt 1 wire alternator, they make kits for easy upgrade. Replace all the bulbs with 12 volt equilivants and be done with it. Also contact Macs auto parts in Lockport, NY, they have an electric feul cut off switch to eliminate having to reach under the dash all the time to work the tank valve. Place a resistor on your AMP gauge so it does't let the smoke out. Replace the coil with 12 volt unit.

Advantage is brighter headlights, easier starting. Restorers won't like it but at least the car will get driven without fear of breakdown.

I run my flathead A on 12 volt. It has a 6 volt starter, no problems at all. Just don't run the starter for long periods of time.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2008
  4. Definitely worth the change just for the improved headlights! I popped a pair of motorcycle H4's in my Deitz style buckets a month ago and I love them. I can see everything at night, and everyone can see me! Also, your 6v wiring is more than enough to run 12v thru, but If you run heavy duty bulbs (I run 80-100's) you should probably run new wires just to be safe. Luke

5. Oh, also make sure you either get an alt that is set up for low rpm's, or a smaller pulley, as the stock one wire pulley won't spin the alt fast enough to charge at idle. Luke

Last edited: Jul 9, 2008
  6. Bikertrash

Bikertrash
    from Boise

Thanks for the info. I ordered all of the parts yesterday.

7. Bikertrash

Bikertrash
    from Boise

Okay, now I have all the parts I've got one more question (I feel like Columbo) Is the 12v. system still a positive ground?

8. 4 2 GO

4 2 GO

Negative Ground for 12V.