Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ever have a car that you cant give away

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kwmpa, Jul 23, 2008.

1. kwmpa

kwmpa
    Member Emeritus
    from Pa

Have you ever had a car that you're trying to sell that seems like you cant give it away. I have a 1937 Oldsmobile 4-door that I have been trying to sell forever and am to the point where its gotta be moved within a week or else I risk having it taken. Ive had a lot of interest in it people coming to look at it but no one ever wants to commit to buy. I have even had a few people say they wanted it but never come to get it. Seems like if its not a Ford or Chevy project then everyone looks over it. Thats the way it goes sometimes.

2. Gerg

Gerg

i wish i had one like that. normally i have the opposite problem i want a car really bad but can't afford it.

3. kwmpa

kwmpa
    Member Emeritus
    from Pa

yeah im always in that boat

4. Crosley

Crosley
    from Aridzona

I've had car and parts that I have hauled in to scrap that I was giving away.

Weeks later after I had moved .... friends call , then act surprised when I tell em it was in the scrap yard.

5. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

put a free sign on it, I'll bet you could "give it away" then

6. I'll give you a dollar for that... selling a car is in the advertising, as in lots of it, so the one guy with a hardon for a '37 Olds can find it. But if it's complete and halfway solid $500 should be easy to get for it...

7. i will come and get it:D

8. kwmpa

kwmpa
    Member Emeritus
    from Pa

im just saying that it seems like if its not the main stream stuff then no one wants it...I could part it out but i dont have the time...and i have it advertised for what i got in it...its one of those deals though where i really hate to see it go but cant keep it around anymore

9. 1/2done

1/2done
    from Ohio

$4900.00 or you're going to crush it?:rolleyes:

10. T McG

T McG
    from Phoenix

Just because they are old, doesn't make them valuable or deseirable. I see in your add it has a lot of options which is cool, but a 37 Olds unfortunately just isn't a popular car. At $6000. for a car that isn't currently running is going to be a tough sell. That is up in the Chevy or Ford price range for a similar year and condition car. My opinion for whats it's worth... that would be hard to sell at that price even if it was running and fully driveable.

11. Slammed88

Slammed88
    from Canada

Haha, I hear you, man. I've had my Olds convertible up for sale for what seems like forever now, and still no luck. I probably wouldn't sell it, but I just can't tackle a project right now. That being said, I never in a million years thought it would be this hard to sell a '59/'60 convertible regardless of make or model. :p

12. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I've sold a few cars over the years. had my 61 dodge on Auto Trader for a good 6 months without so much as a nibble. for me anyways it is rare that a car goes easily if I want a decent price.

put it in the auto trader and if you put it on craigs list you got to relist every 3 days or it falls down too many pages.

it ain't easy selling cars.

13. Yeah, I can relate. I had a 63 Acadian two door - think Chevy II with a different grille - that I thought I was going to die with. It had a strong 327 and th350, and 68 camaro rear end. It was a great daily driver. I had it for sale for $3500, eventually dropping it to $2200. I put a low mileage 194 and pg in it, sold it to my neighbor at the lake for $2400, for his goofy kid to run into a city bus three weeks later. About a month later I sold the 327 and turbo for $1600. Go figure.....

14. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

Its probably the price. People will figure on a Model A or something for the same price. You have to sacrifice something for an odd car but scrap price is no where what your asking for it.

15. Slammed88

Slammed88
    from Canada

I think that might be the case, but I know sometimes it's impossible to move a car even if it has a great price.

It's absolutely insane how much the make of a car can effect the price. I haven't had any bites on my '60 Olds convertible at $6000, but I see '60 Chevy convertibles in only half as good of shape selling for three times as much as I'm asking for mine. I don't get it. Haha.

16. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Bummer it's a 4 door, and $4,000+ is not "giving it away". Figure out what the crusher will give you and place that price tag on it. Did you join the National Oldsmobile Club so you could place a free ad in their monthly publication? Folks that are really into the stock Oldsmobile read that publication religiously every month.

17. James427

James427
    BANNED

I have not had ANY problem giving a car away with scrap prices being so high. I have found that 100% of the time if a car does not sell in a reasonable time it is because the owner is being unreasonable with their pricing. That appears to be the case here too.

18. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

I had a Torino with more money in the front suspension than I had on the whole car, and it was a southern car. Guys would look it over and hmm I will think about it. Finally one guy showed up and said why is it so cheap. I said I cant sell it and I have no room for it anymore. He was happy as could be and didnt mess around. Cash money and loaded it in an enclosed trailer...gone.

19. DeucePhaeton

DeucePhaeton

One way outta this could be to give it to a museum... The REOlds Museum in Lansing, MI might be interested. That way you could yuse the write off on your taxes and both of you could make out at the expense of the rest of us. hehe. Tax payers ya know.
    Don't know if you in that kind of position or not... Just my 2 cents.

20. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Yeah dude, cuz you are saying $4900 or its going to the crusher. Assholes like you are what are ruining this hobby, and I find the most of that mentality in the sticks of PA. Give me $5k or watch it get crushed. And on top of that you have the balls to start a thread crying that nobody wants to pay your astronomical price. Go screw.

Here's the sale thread incase anyone wants to share a Kleenex with this guy. I know I feel for him.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=179249

21. NJRATRODER

NJRATRODER
    from NJ

tell u what i'll pick it up and crush it 4 u and pay u scrap hell i'll let u pull the lever time 2 step up lets crush it

22. Gman0046

Gman0046

To me buying or building a car is no different then buying or selling a house. I always approach it with the thought of selling it some day. Anything thats to outside the mainstream could mean you own it forever. Thirties and forties Ford and Chevy coupes always have a market. Tri 5 Chevy's 2 door post and hardtops are money in the bank and even more doors seem to be selling. Do you wonder why every Sh*tBeast is for sale? Thats something you buy and own forever. What some folks don't seem to understand is it takes just as much time, effort and money to build and undesirable or fugly car.

23. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Last entry in his For Sale post: "Gotta be sold by the end of the weekend or else its going to the crusher...somebody has to want to save it"
    Price is $4,900, or scrap value? So bottom line it--what would happen if someone showed up and offered you $500, which is more than you'd get for scrap?

You aren't giving the car away at five grand. And there's nothing wrong with that at all. BUT, don't come on here and bitch that nobody wants to buy an off-make, off-year 4-door car for $5,000, and that you're going to crush it if someone doesn't come through. Would you crush all the rare factory accessories, too?
    Have you gone on the Antique Automobile Club of America's sight and tried to sell it there? And there's always ebay. I don't know why people knock ebay, it's a great place.

But if you do crush that car, I wouldn't bother logging on to this site ever again...
    -Brad

24. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Ummmmmm,, Yeah ???? "or it goes to the crusher" one would have to be a TRUE idiot to crush a car in that condition,,and the box of NOS parts :rolleyes:

and btw,,if you do scarp it ,,please film that and put it on youtube

25. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Sorry to hear about your situation, but you've ignored one of the cardinal rule of old cars-

What you have in it has nothing to do with what it's worth

Hope the ole girl finds a good home at a price everyone can live with. Good luck

26. As usual Brad has given you an intelligent, well thought out, response to your self inflicted problem.
    If any of you haven't noticed, more of our money is going into food & energy. Over the last 12 months I've had 4 hobby oriented cars for sale. One sold on Ebay for 2/3 of its value. To move the other 3 I had to take some cash and another vehicle. None of the trade-in's were cars I wanted to keep, but it was easier to take some cash and then resell the cheaper trade-in's, than to sit forever trying to find a buyer for the expensive car.
    '37 Olds all doors have never, and will probably NEVER be the first or second choice for a hot rod, street rod or restoration. Before all the '37 Olds owners jump on me, unless your car was a family heirloom, you probably built it because it was an affordable (cheap) car to buy. In today's economy, far fewer people have 20K-40K they can spend for finished ride be it traditional, custom, nostalgia drag, whatever.
    This brings me full circle to the $6K car in question. Ya wanna sell it? Price it for what it is, and give a low buck guy the chance to build a car. I bet you would have buyers for your big family sedan @ $1500-2000. Probably 6 to 10 times scrap price. Otherwise take Brads advise and take a hike....

27. deanopopino

deanopopino
    from Troy, MO

Heh! If I was anywhere near PA, I'd give ya 3-times scrap to save it. 10-times scrap? Eh, don't think so. Doesn't really matter, I'm not near interested enough to ship it half way across the friggin' country (unless you're >really< gonna 'give it away!:rolleyes:)

$4900 or scrap it? Have fun with that!

Deano

28. jimmyv

jimmyv

I'd say you would be doing good, no GREAT to get $1500-2500.00

29. sawzall

sawzall

I know kevin, and I know the guy he bought it from.. I even looked at this olds about 2 years ago when I sold kevin some parts for another of his projects..

I am certain he has 4K in the car.. (just from knowing the gentleman whom he purchased it from!)

that said.. this one is a hard sell, as its got alot of things going against it.. (4 door, olds) etc etc..

like many I would love to own it, but dont have time, money or space for it.

however... I too had a car I couldnt give away... mine was a more "desireable" 50 lincoln coupe.. the car was basically a merc.. and I couldnt sell it for what I had in it..

in the end.. I took a loss.. just to get it out of my way..

kevin may need to do the same..

30. James427

James427
    BANNED

Another point is that when I sell a car I put it on e-bay at no reserve. And I'm not talking starting bid of $7,000 and then big letters in my listing shouting "NO RESERVE" like the seven grand isn't a reserve. I'm talking $200 opening bid. I put as many pictures and as much info as I can and whatever it brings IS THE ACTUAL VALUE! But gess what? The car is SOLD. So I don't like hearing this "I can't give it away" crap either. Be a man, suck it up, and admit that you paid too much and let it go. Slap it on e-bay with no reserve with lots of good pics showing tghe good and bad and you WILL sell the car. Just quit bitchin about it.