Register now to get rid of these ads!

50 Dodge top chop

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Moparhead, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Moparhead

Moparhead

Well we've got a few days in to it so far,and this is where it's at.My good friend,John Kouw,from Cruisin Customs in West Olive Mi. offered to help me,but as it turned out,he's doing most of it and I'm helping him.I belong to The Relix car club,and they were here Friday night to help out also.I've got a lot of tack welding to do,but the end result is going to be worth it.I'll post more as progress is made.

Fuzz

Attached Files:

2. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

your doing one hell of a job there!! looks really good!! i was just thinking it must be nice having a few guys to come over and help with a chop, lots of people to bounce ideas off of. i did my chop by myself and it was fun but a lot of work. i looked like a teenage mutant ninja turtle when i moved the top forward after chopping it LOL.

3. looks great thats some crew you got over there ..

4. damnfingers

damnfingers

Looking good...takes guts, doesn't it?

5. Moparhead

Moparhead

Thanks guys.I'll get some closer pix tomorrow.Yep,we all helped on the beer and pizza!

6. very cool indeed

7. Moparhead

Moparhead

I can't wait to see the sail panel done.The rear roof section is 46-48 Ford.John is a hell of a builder and knows what each step is going to be,and what the result will be.

Fuzz

8. 41 C28

41 C28

Thats going to look cool. I admire your courage. Someday I'd like to get my courage up, take a deep breath and start cuttin something.

9. lucidalien

lucidalien

Fuzzy... it looks super cool. sorry I couldn't make it. Chicago sure was fun though. I heard that you know my attorney's father... Mr. Sypniewski. Car is lookin good.

10. Gigantor

Gigantor

Man, if I could fit half that many dudes in my garage at one time, there still wouldn't be enough room for a car. Nice work in your spacious palace of a shop.

11. phat rat

phat rat

Which Syp is that Jim or John?

12. ALindustrial

ALindustrial

that looks great! how much did you take off again?

13. Moparhead

Moparhead

Thanks guys.It worked out to 3 1/2" at the b-pillar.This weekend,I'll work on the door tops and the rest of the tack welds.The pictures were taken by a friend and I'll take closer shots as the rest of the work progresses.There won't be a crowd so it will be easier to get a good picture.Hope the drive to Chicago was OK.I'm sure the club will be back again.Hey Jack,it was John Sypniewski that was here.I sure wish I was going to Detroit this weekend.
    Fuzz

14. phat rat

phat rat

Fuzzy, now that you told me that I looked at the pics and saw him. I hadn't looked at these pics just the ones over on the other board. I'm not going to Detriot either. I'm going to the swap meet in Louisville this week-end instead

15. Flop

Flop

start weldin :D
    i know how that goes..... gets to be a bit tedious
    lookin good though

16. Any updates on this? It should be done by now, right?

17. Moparhead

Moparhead

Not done yet.My buddy that is the brain behind this has had a very busy time at the shop,and his wife is going through some health issues.I talked to him Saturday,and things are looking good to finish it up soon.Meanwhile I'm working to get the stance where I want it.I'm also working on flush mounting the skirts.I got a set of steel skirts with the car,but they are for a Plymouth,so I'm reworking the fenders to fit them.

Fuzz

18. Those are cars that just look so much better chopped. I've always liked the Wayfarer,3w when they are chopped.

19. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Wow...John Kouw helping you....one of the unsung masters of Kustom work in our generation!
    Looking good, and I know it will turn out great!

20. 'Mo

'Mo

Amen to that!

I consider the Ford rear window one of the most perfect shapes in auto design history. I can't wait to see it integrated.

The new B-pillars look completely natural.

What have you got planned for the car's face? Please keep us posted.

21. kraka138

kraka138

im almost positive that is the stock b pillar slant... so they are natural

22. Moparhead

Moparhead

That's right.The b-pillar on Plymouths is straight up and down,and slanted on the Dodges.Yep,John is one of the best.We've been friends quite a while,and are both members of The Relix car club.I know of his busy schedule and am okay with doing it at his convenience,I've got plenty of other work to do.Plans are for a grille from a 59 Cadillac.The grille opening doesn't need a lot of modification to make it work.

Fuzz

23. rusty55desoto

rusty55desoto
    from west oz

24. Moparhead

Moparhead

I rolled the car outside the other day to get a better perspective on the look,I really like it.I'm also fixing rust in the rear fenders and flush mounting the skirts.

Attached Files:

25. 'Mo

'Mo

The Cad grille sounds great. Keep it coming.
    This one will be nice. Care to share any other plans?

26. Moparhead

Moparhead

Sure,I've got a 318/904 to go in and a 10 bolt GM posi.Don't really need the posi but the 2:41 gear will work very nice for the highway.The engine is in a run stand I built.I also built a body lift to take the body on/off when mocking things up.It works great---a one person job.Plans are for a dark purple witha purple flake roof,dash and interior window trim.A white tuck & roll interior will finish it off when it fits the budget.

Fuzzy

Attached Files:

27. pecker head

pecker head

What are you doing for windsheild ? Cutting orig. or using lexan ? Oh yeah nice work !

28. Moparhead

Moparhead

I'm hoping to v-butt it.I'm mostly helping John with the roof,but the rest is my problem/work/fun.Thanks.

Fuzz

29. Damn, your Dodge is looking great. Can't wait to see more.

30. Moparhead

Moparhead

Well,here's the latest.John tied everything together,and now I have to do the finish welding.I think it's lookin' great.The picture of the stock windshield moulding,puts the chop amount into perspective.

Fuzzy

Attached Files: