Register now to get rid of these ads!

We need a HAMBer help list, Like the NSRA fellow pages

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fat ASS Whitewalls, Jun 27, 2004.

1. Deyomatic

Deyomatic
    from CT

Just a suggestion, and I don't know if it is possible or just a real pain in the ass, but will it be possible to break it down my State then City? I think it would make it alot easier to use if so, but certainly alot more of a bitch for you to compile, unless you use some kind of spreadsheet program for it.

Thanks so much for doing this, Denise.

2. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I've broken it down into States already and cities won't be that much more difficult to do. All alphabetical of course. Spread sheets not a bad idea....if only I knew how to set one up.....hint, hint [​IMG] [​IMG]

I was planning on setting this up using half sheets of paper and "landscape" so it's small, like the little mags.

3. Deyomatic

Deyomatic
    from CT

I don't even have a spreadsheet program, but I think it would be fairly easy,
    Just set up the columns by whatever the category is, say column A would be State, then city, then the names and numbers etc. Then you could just sort alphabetically by column A then column B. Just keep your fingers crossed that there is enough room for it all to fit!

4. Hi Denise!!got any room for Canukian's in that? [​IMG]
    Sent ya info in a PM! [​IMG]

5. Donzie

Donzie

Try this.
    HAMBer Helpers
    It could be printed out (set your printer settings to landscape instead of portrait) when you want it.

6. You can added and delete or even hide columns in the example above. Actually works great. Now if I can find that program I referecned in my email Denise it would surely help you. I will look at home and follow up tonight or tomorrow.

7. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

great thanks to you both, I'll try to play with it tonite and see. Will it place everything in alpabetical order by state, then city if setup right? [​IMG]

8. yes - usually you can only give it 3 pieces of criteria to sort by. I can help or walk you through it - you have my numbers now.
    Troy

9. burger

burger

Two things:

1. I added my name to the list. If anyone in the Philadelphia area needs help, etc, gimme a ring 267-240-4692

2. AAA isn't a bad investment, especially when you're driving older tin repaired and serviced on a budget.

Ed

10. kentucky

kentucky

Info sent, bttt

11. jambottle

jambottle

i`m in;got your back in Nova Scotia.
    bttt

12. JamesG

JamesG

Here is how the air cooledVW community does it. Very cool way of doing it and an even cooler reason why....

A.I.R.S.

13. millerkustoms

millerkustoms

bttt

I know I haven't conributed a whole lot to the board but I am more than willing to help anyone out who is in need

14. lulabelle

lulabelle

My info is sent!Feel free to use it to stop by for a beer.I might even let you work on my junk! [​IMG]

15. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I DON'T think thats a cool way of doing it at all. Most folks here on the HAMB do not want their names, addresses and phone numbers available to just anyone on the internet. That was clearly expressed to me in lots of the emails and PM's. OUR list will be private and NOT available over the internet for the world to see.

16. JamesG

JamesG

So when your stuck on the side of the road with nothing but a cell phone, what do you do? Will there be a few contact person's who can stear you in the right direction? What if you can't get ahold of those people?

I think, and this is just my 2 cents of course, that you have a database the way AIRs does and then when you know your going on a road trip, you simply print out those folks info. I understand everones concern, but they have been doing it that way for a while now and have had zero problems. Once again, thats just how I feel about it. [​IMG]

17. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

[ QUOTE ]
    So when your stuck on the side of the road with nothing but a cell phone, what do you do?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well to answer your first question, I don't believe there is one HAMB member here who would travel with only a cell phone, unless of course thats all you carry. We, as a group, are do it yourselvers, and pride ourselves on being able to fix our own hot rods. Yes, there are lots of breakdowns that can't be fized on the side of the road and that is where the "List" comes in handy. It's just ANOTHER tool in the toolbox, NOT the ONLY tool. I myself carry a complete tool box and spare belts, hoses, fuel pump, fuel filter, etc. I might not know how to fix the exact problem I'm having but I certainly feel I can call someone to either come help or walk me thru it.

Our list is exactly like the "AIRS" list EXCEPT it's not made public on the internet. You carry it just like the NSRA Fellow pages in your glovebox or toolbox or whereever you have room. You know when you get a phone call its a HAMB person that your coming out to help and not some strange person that got your name off the interent. OR it's a HAMB person COMING to help YOU and not some wierdo from the internet who just stuck his name and number on the list so folks call him when their broken down on the side of the road and helpless. Scary thought to call someone when your broke down and know your a sitting duck.

Also, as the broken down person, you can rest assured your calling a trusted friend, a HAMB friend, in time of need. Someone that will drop anything and everything to come help. You have no clue what some of these guys are saying in their notes to me. They don't want to give major intersections where they live cuz they say they will drive anywhere in their state to help out a fellow HAMBer in need.

The HAMB is a community like no other and most of us are very protective of said community and it members. Our list is not for public knowledge and I'm firm on that issue.

If you want to start a internet based list with your own gathered info by all means please do, I think alot of folks might be helped by that but please don't include my name and number on it. I'll travel where ever necessary to help a HAMB member out but I'm certainly not accepting phone calls from strangers in the middle of the nite to come help them on the side of a deserted road.... thats what AAA is for.

Do I sound alittle harsh? Maybe, but there are way too many weirdos in the world. I've met my fair share already and I really don't want to meet any others.

18. JamesG

JamesG

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    So when your stuck on the side of the road with nothing but a cell phone, what do you do?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well to answer your first question, I don't believe there is one HAMB member here who would travel with only a cell phone, unless of course thats all you carry. We, as a group, are do it yourselvers, and pride ourselves on being able to fix our own hot rods. Yes, there are lots of breakdowns that can't be fized on the side of the road and that is where the "List" comes in handy. It's just ANOTHER tool in the toolbox, NOT the ONLY tool. I myself carry a complete tool box and spare belts, hoses, fuel pump, fuel filter, etc. I might not know how to fix the exact problem I'm having but I certainly feel I can call someone to either come help or walk me thru it.

Our list is exactly like the "AIRS" list EXCEPT it's not made public on the internet. You carry it just like the NSRA Fellow pages in your glovebox or toolbox or whereever you have room. You know when you get a phone call its a HAMB person that your coming out to help and not some strange person that got your name off the interent.

Also, as the broken down person, you can rest assured your calling a trusted friend, a HAMB friend, in time of need. Someone that will drop anything and everything to come help. You have no clue what some of these guys are saying in their notes to me. They don't want to give major intersections where they live cuz they say they will drive anywhere in their state to help out a fellow HAMBer in need.

The HAMB is a community like no other and most of us are very protective of said community and it members. Our list is not for public knowledge and I'm firm on that issue.

If you want to start a internet based list with your own gathered info by all means please do, I think alot of folks might be helped by that but please don't include my name and number on it. I'll travel where ever necessary to help a HAMB member out but I'm certainly not accepting phone calls from strangers in the middle of the nite to come help them on the side of a deserted road.... thats what AAA is for.

Do I sound alittle harsh? Maybe, but there are way too many weirdos in the world. I've met my fair share already and I really don't want to meet any others.

[/ QUOTE ]

I honestly did'mt mean to step on any toes here. Like I said before, you have a valide complaint when it comes to your info and weirdo's. Believe me, I know, I saw the pics he sent you............I think your idea is great and we should run with. With that said, please let me know if I can be of any help. [​IMG]

19. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

No toes being stepped on at all, I just wanted you to realize that the way we're setting this list up is safe for all HAMB folks involved, or as safe aa humanly possible.

20. jambottle

jambottle

21. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

<font color="green">This is a great idea Denise!

I also agree with some anonimity.

God forbid some HAMBer get busted down in "The Gateway to Hell". [​IMG]

Anyway, you had the slot for nearest intersection and I am moving so you can just put Tulsa.

I would drive quite a ways to help a HAMBer in need.

RASHY </font>

22. [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

mmmmmmmmmmm now was denise talking about us?????????

naaaaaaaaaaaaa not us [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

looks like a fine bunch of folks hang'n out in this crowd.....joe

23. overspray

overspray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sent my info, Denise. BTTT
    overspray

24. jalopy43

jalopy43
    Member Emeritus

Now all I need is to finally get myself a CeLlPhone. Maybe we need an OT post on which service is best,nationwide??

25. jambottle

jambottle

bttt for rustymetal

26. Grumpy

Grumpy
    from NE Ohio

BTTT.
    as stated, a great idea if done right.
    plus I never leave w/o my AAA gold card!

27. Cannibal

Cannibal

Thanks Denise.
    I suggested this idea or a similar idea about a year ago.
    I liked the idea of a US map with push pins of all the HAMBers.
    So if you were traveling you could get an idea of who is where.
    I`ll send you my info and will awlays be willing to help a fellow HAMBer

28. daddyo54

daddyo54
    Member Emeritus
    from Denison Tx

bttt this is a great idea!

29. jambottle

jambottle

how many have singned up so far,denise?
    chris