Register now to get rid of these ads!

OT/ Can a man still build a Hot Rod with a Colonostopy Bag?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by customcory, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Frosty21

Frosty21
    from KY

My grandpa had prostate/bladder cancer about five years ago and has had his bladder on his side ever since. He's a tough old man, but it barely slowed him down at all. Sometimes gets a little irritated, but he's learned to adjust to it.

2. '40PlyCoupe

'40PlyCoupe

CustomCory,

I'm glad to read things are looking better. I had a friend with a bag, he even drove 7 hours to go to the Pile Up in '06. Some of you might remember his car a '50 Ford Coupe with a very badly dented up hood - it blew up on the way to the pile up and dented the hood, fenders and roof. He eventually got hooked back up, but some cancer spread and he unfortunately passed away in late '07. However, if that cancer had not spread you would have never known he was sick. In fact, he came to the Pile Up in '07 and looked at almost everything there - one month before he passed away.

Good luck and best wishes,

Adam

3. FuelFC

FuelFC

Stay positive Cory and mean too. Kick it's ass.

You can do this! You have no choice! You have to do this! Or as I said I'll come and kick your ass! :)

Oh and go have a pulled pork sammich with extra sauce for me will ya!

Keep us posted so we know you are ok!

4. Castr8r

Castr8r
    Member Emeritus

My Aunt had a colostomy bag and never let it bother her. 'Course, we couldn't call her "asshole" 'cause she didn't have one... It ain't all bad, you've got the support of the H.A.M.B.! It also pays off big time to talk to the Lord about it when things look bad.

5. Blue

Blue

Try not to get pissed off with yourself. As others have said, you'll have to adjust the way you do some things. The great part will be, you're ALIVE. Thanks for the reminder. Not the same situation for me but similar ways of thinking apply.
    All the best.

6. mudbone

mudbone

keep that positive attitude man , life can`t beat you unless you let, nice drawings , hope you can make them come to life.

7. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Cory, I'm sure you are aware of the great support system that is here on the HAMB.

I'm going in next month for a "probing", hope it's all good. Either way though, it's great to have family, friends and support from your internet buddies.

You'll do fine and don't EVER hesitate to ring me anytime!!!

8. 'Mo

'Mo

Hey, Cory. I just found this thread. Hang tough, my friend.
    It ain't nothin' but a thang.

9. Irrational Metalworks

Irrational Metalworks
    Alliance Vendor
    from DFW

My prayers are with you buddy! I know what you are going through. I too have just had the prostate cancer scare. They are watching it closely. It has totally changed the way I think now! Hang in there, the Lord will take care of you and get you through anything!
    All you guys that dont want to loose your dignity for 2 minutes need to get off your butt and get it checked before its too late to fix. Besides, if your married and have kids, you dont have any more dignity anyway!

10. hotrodjohnny77

hotrodjohnny77

Good luck, don't take no for an answer from your DR. Persistance realy pays off when it comes to the "C" word. Learn as much about it as you know about cars and it will help you through.

Jon

11. Ford52PU

Ford52PU
    from PA

Good luck to you. Keep up your sprits and things will work out.

12. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cory its sad but I see this sort of thing every other day. It really sucks that it is happening to a great guy and a valuable member of the HAMB.
    On the good side, If it has to be done the only thing that will stop you from doing everything you want is YOU.
    I know guys that parachute with a bag! If they can survive 10 dives a day rolling in the muck on the floor will be a piece of piss!
    Don't be a pussy, if you need counseling, get it. Don't under estimate the how much this will affect you mentally. It will and it will do it a lot more than it will affect you physically.

Hey, just imagine the looks on peoples faces when you flash them the full moon and theres no crater!!

13. FuelFC

FuelFC

And don't wait until your 50 either. Go in at 40 and every year after when you get a good damn physical. Get your twig and berries checked as well.

It will take three to four hours for a good base physical and an overnight for a comprehensive. But worth every minute for the piece of mind!

Especially worth it if you get a damn hot female doc to do the dirty work. ;). Damn site easier to let things happen!

14. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

I was diagnosed in Oct 2005 with Rectal Cancer, started Chemo and Radiation in Nov '05

Had surgery in March '06, got lucky and had a temporary Colostomy for 7 months while I went through another round of Chemo - The Chemo kicked the crap out of me.

The bag is annoying but you will definitely get used to it. Because of the Chemo I didn't do a lot of heavy work while I had the bag, but I couldn't see it stopping you from doing normal stuff.

Hang in there; I'm still here.......:)

If you have any particular questions PM me

15. customcory

customcory

You guys are making some good points, if I would have waited till I was 50, it would probably be to late. What really made me go to the doctor was I was taking 2or 3 Alleve a day for what I thought was 'rhoid pain. That in turn made me bleed out my ass like I was going to die and I went to emergency room at 3 in the morning. Thats when the guy saw the tumor and sent me straight to the colonostopy doctor. I know this is helping me 100 percent to face it. Like you say, it might get some more of you thinking about it. My brother is going after my operation and all. Once again, you HAMBERS are the BEST!;)

16. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

Us turds wish you the best

17. 38plymouth

38plymouth

From the looks of things you will be building a hot rod. Good luck!!!

18. S.F.

S.F.

Id say nothing should stop you, just dont pierce the colonostopy bag with a shard of metal or the grinder or something.

19. c1run1

c1run1
    from TRNJ

Cory ,
    I'm sending you mail it gose out thursday . ..
    Joe

20. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

nothing but prayers from the breeder crew for ya bro!!!!!!GOD SPEED!

21. Gman0046

Gman0046

Cory, hang in there Buddy. This is extremely treatable, you will be back on the road in no time. Prayers are with you. Get well ASAP.

22. Hey man not to get off subject, but how did it get so far along?

I had to fight with the doctors to check me out when I got sick, because they thought I was "too young" for anything to be wrong.

Also on July 5th a friend of mine died at 33 from cancer.

Unfortunately with all of the advancements that have been made in medicine they are still only "practicing" it.

Just curious on your situation. You don't need to share publicly or even privately if you don't want to.

Best of luck with you though - hang in there!

23. I don't have any first hand knowledge of building rods with one but, my 60 year old aunt has had one for 30 years and she puts down hard wood floors with her husband for a living. She works circles around him. I think you'll be able to do it just fine. Sounds like you have your priorities straight and a great attitude.

24. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

i dont know anything about that really but i wanted to wish you good luck!

25. customcory

customcory

Well, I don't get cut open till the 29th of this month. Carbs and Chrome, I had a physical about two years ago when I got on high blood pressure medicine. At that time nobody noticed it or felt it, I had a clean bill of health.So I had no idea, I couldn't feel it growing , it didn't hurt till in the last month! But the way it looked on one of my scans, it had to have been there a while, its pretty big. Maybe if I had insurance I would have gone to the doctor more often, but I doubt it! I don't go till there is a bone sticking out like they say! I think I am getting better care not having insurance, if you had a high deductable you are in the same boat as not having it, plus you have to pay the insurance premiums every month or you'll lose it anyway. I've never understood insurance.
    All of yall's comments are making me feel warm and fuzzy inside!:D

26. candyman

candyman

Customcorey... believe this or not.... there is a guy in a wheel chair up in skagit county that built this really wild car. It wasn't hamb type stuff but the detail was killer... now the guy had some help mind you.... but still... don't we all get SOME help? So if a guy can do it from a wheel chair.. a bag aint gonna slow ya down nearly as much... long as the will and desire is there!

Best wishes.....

27. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

If they can bag a lowrider, they can bag yo' ass!

Seriously tho, with your attitude, you can do anything! Anything you need, just ask us!
    You've been entertaining us with your artwork - thanks for that man - keep on keeping on!

Cheers,

28. skidsteer

skidsteer

I admit I have no first-hand knowledge of this, but my feeling is that it has to be better for you than laying on the couch watching TV. In fact, it might be the best thing for you. Also, I drive back and forth from PA to Fla a cuppla times a year, would be glad to stop by to say hi, and give you a hand, if the project so warrants.

29. sv_i

sv_i

ostomy pouching system or colostomy bag - my grandfather has had one for years. He still works away doing fine jewelry work which means he has to bend over a workbench, still goes metal detecting (don't know what you Americans would call it, but basically looking for gold out in the bush with what I could best describe as a fancy pants landmine detector) and that requires lugging around battery packs on your hip or back for hours on end.

I think the key is to keep active - both physically and mentally, but still be aware of your limits. I know another guy that has one and still races a cool little 70's honda civic, after each race he empties his bag in the pits, the looks on other driver's faces is hilarious.

Keep on punchin' mate and good on you for bringing it up. Men are usually too bloody macho to talk about anything and thats when things go pear shaped.

30. customcory

customcory

Well guys, just got out of the hospital Friday. The doc said I was lucky and dodged a bullet! The tumor was big and was against my prostate , but had'nt attached itself to it or any other organs. My lymph nodes are fine.They are talking about no radiation and just chemo which I'm sure is a good thing.I'm sore all over and it hurts to cough or laugh, but I've been up walking all over, went to my garage to make sure everything was just like I left it, and watered my plants this morning. In about a week I'll be a lot better. Well, it hurts to sit down for long, LOL, so I will cut it short. You know what, there might be something to all this prayer stuff after all!;)