Register now to get rid of these ads!

Brag On Your Hometown

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Still Runnin, Jul 6, 2008.

1. buikwag

buikwag
    1. Buick Nailheads

San Bernardino, CA. Known as the I.E. (Inland Empire) Mentioned in the song Route 66. The actual birth place of McDonalds. I've been here 66 years, seen a lot of changes.
    All the following areas are within a two hour drive.
    1.Big Bear,
    2.Palm Springs,
    3.Pomona (swap meet, NHRA Museum, Fathers Day, Drags),
    4.Fontana(California Speedway, Drags)
    5.L.A,
    6.San Diego, The O.C.(Goodguys, Labor Day Run, Cruising for the Cure),
    7.Temecula,
    8.Del Mar(Goodguys),
    9.The Beaches,
    10.add another 40 minutes to Bakersfield (NSRA Western Nats, Famosa)
    Not a bad location!!!
    Attached picture is of Big Bear, Ca in the 50's from a postcard.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 4, 2008
  2. nexxussian

nexxussian

Well, Anchorage has rain (not as much as others), and we don't have as big of car events (not as many cars). We do occasionally have wildlife downtown (moose, bear, etc, oh and the obligitory 2 legged drunken kind too:rolleyes:). I read we have the #3 cargo airport on the planet (by tonnage) but the Daily Worker tend's not to be the most accurate (it's where I read it). If you lived in the center of town you are not more than about 40 minutes form the middle of nowhere, traffic nonwithstanding.

Oh I did hear a few weeks ago the CDC says we as a state are #1 for Clamydia (ewww).

Of course there is the low population density, we have fewer people in this state than most big cities' suburbs (kinda make an 'interesting' blend).

3. 35WINDOW

35WINDOW

Well, my Hometown is Golden, Co-home to Coors Beer!!!

[​IMG]

also, Golden has a couple of Rod Shops, Red Rocks ampihtheatre is close (lots of Concerts there):

[​IMG]

as well as Buffalo Bills grave, 15 miles to major Gambling (if that's your thing) and it's about 15 Miles to Denver. Lots to close by:

[​IMG]

4. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Where I am now has three shops, a water tower, a river and we pay almost 3 tmes what you US guys are paying for fuel. C'mon over......

5. rustycarr

rustycarr
    from TX

6. 21tat

21tat

Las Vegas, Nevada. Most people already know about this place. Great place to live. Too much to do. Awesome.

7. Probably not a damn thing worth seeing in South El Monte, Ca., but our machine shop has been here since 1955. I don't live here, but after all these years, this old shop feels like home. If you count the famous racers that have been based here, I guess it's a somewhat famous place. About 4 blocks from our shop I watched Fritz Voight build Mickey's Challenger in a little tin building. 3 doors down lived Joe Gemsa, one of the more colorful characters in circle track racing, for over 50 years. About two blocks from Joe is Gene Ohly's shop, in the same location since Earl Evans began the business over 50 years ago. North about two blocks used to be A&E Sheet Metal where a young Harry Mardon worked while he was Ohly's partner in the awesome tube framed 29 highboy that ran 225 with Gene's un blown 255" sbc. Just a few doors from Ohly's shop was the shop of famous inline racer Kaye Sissell. If that's not enough, my friend for 40+ years, the late Ronnie Benham, who built over 30 LSR cars, had his little house and garage about 8 blocks away. Many 200 MPH club members owe their memberships to the cars that came from Ronnie's little garage.

South El Monte, just another little So Cal city that was home to a hell of a lot of racing legends.

8. "Oakland California is the city of dope..couldn't be saved by John the Pope..."

Oakland gets a bad rap(no pun intended:D) but there is alot of cool stuff here too...

Mor-Drop Axel..
    http://mor-dropaxles.com/

Heinolds First and Last Chance Saloon..Jack London's old haunt..
    http://www.heinoldsfirstandlastchance.com/index.html

Paramount Theatre
    http://www.paramounttheatre.com/

The Crucible
    http://www.thecrucible.org/

Oakland Aviation Museum
    http://www.westernaerospacemuseum.org/

Bordertown Skatepark
    http://www.bordertownskatepark.org/

USS Hornet Museum..Alameda
    http://www.uss-hornet.org/

Or for the braver tourist theres always the Oakland By Night Tour..Sideshows,drug dealin',crack hoes and the occasional street murder:D

9. comp

comp
    from So. IN.

Evansville IN. stoplight city :D

10. spiffy1937

spiffy1937
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

11. Still Runnin

Still Runnin
    from VA & FL

Here is an excuse to cruise down to Daytona, Florida for the all NEW "Dream Cruise". It is the 4th week in October, pretty time of year there. Promises to be different then the Turkey Run. It is the weekend after Biketoberfest. 9 mile stretch along A1A on the Worlds Famous Beach. That make 2 big events to take your ride to in that area.

12. Third worst city in America. Good Ol' Flint Michigan. I like it though.
    [​IMG]

13. Ventura, I didn't say it was a cheap place to live, I just said it's the best place in the world to live. Lucky I bought my house 16 years ago. I sure as hell couldn't do it now. All of So Cal is expensive but I say Ventura is worth every penny. There is alot of So Cal I wouldn't want to live in. Also we don't have tornadoes, hurricanes and don't need air conditioning or heating oil.
    I guess it's the high cost of living that makes me feel constantly broke but something tells me I would feel that way no matter where I lived. At least here The standard of living is great.

14. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

PATRIOTS,CELTICS AND RED SOXS nuff sayed

15. BigDanF4i

BigDanF4i

Painesville, OH. 30 miles NE of Cleveland. Within 90 mins. you can get to Cedar Point, Rock n roll hall of fame, Nelsons ledges road course, Football hall of fame, the Moyer museum, Annabelles' Diner, and countless other places, be it hole in the wall, or mainstream

16. I went to school in Neoga, Illinois. Neoga's name is from the Native American's description, "place of the deer". It's supposed to because of a natural salt area along the Little Wabash River to the west of town. Good farm land, was a good place to go to school.
    Because of living out in the country and at the northern turn-around of our mail carrier, our country address was Toledo, Illinois, the county seat. Abraham Lincoln spent some time in the courtrooms or the long gone original county courthouse.
    Abe's family lived not far away. Their homeplace is now a small state park and their gravesites are at a small country church and cemetary not far away.
    Most kids did like I did, grow up and get a job in the military or big city. I realized again last week how much difference there is between the slow, no worries pace of country life to living in what I know as a big city (the part of town I live in has a larger population than Cumberland Co. Illinois).
    I think 2007 Hot Rod Power Tour went through Neoga on Hwy 45 to get to Mid-America Corvette between Sigel and Effingham. The only reason you might remember would be a flashing red light in the middle of town, and maybe the local yokel city cop.

17. Still Runnin

Still Runnin
    from VA & FL

I haven't hear any road trip stories yet. There has to be some. I have a great one about the blue ridge parkway that i will share with you all in the mag.

18. Thumper

Thumper

Hell this place is so small we don't even have a town drunk.........we have to take turns.

19. thebrassnuckles

thebrassnuckles

Bakersfield, Ca
    adopted hometown of the late Buck Owens.
    now home to wanna be so-cal douche bags with big ass sunglasses and flat brimmed trucker hats. its hotter than hell, smoke from wildfires and smog from the surrounding metropolitan areas fill the air with a haze. oilfields all around. residents cant drive, mostly due to the cell phones they had surgically attached to the sides of their faces. its basically the greatest place i can think of to live.

20. hot rod wille

hot rod wille

I gotta agree with Kiwi Kev--been in and around Ventura,Ca. since 1960.Saw it as a sleepy little town--still is,kinda.Lots of people want it to be another Venice or Santa Barbara--artsy-fartsy types.But I live 5 minutes from one of the best surf beaches in the world-that alone is worth the price of admission.
    It's really terrible to get up on a Saturday morning--jump in my coupe, and run up the coast for a late breakfast / early lunch--and checkin out all the hot chicks--and being able to do this almost 12 months out of the year!
    We got it rough!!

Attached Files:

21. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

Strongest winds ever recorded on the planet, May 3, 1999. 316 mph! Moore, Oklahoma. Some dude named Toby Keith was born and still lives there to.

22. ArtGeco

ArtGeco
    from Miami

My hometown is an hour and a half away from you.
    Virginia Beach, you already know about that. You
    wanna have fun, head down to Miami. That's wear
    I live and play now.

23. Still Runnin

Still Runnin
    from VA & FL

Miami, last time I went through there I could read the billboards, I flucked spanish is school. I lived in Daytona for 22 years before coming to VA. Are there Billboards in English there or was I in the wrong spot again. Not meaning any dis-respect.

24. Still Runnin

Still Runnin
    from VA & FL

must have flucked spelling to - I meant I could NOT read the Billboards

25. mudbone

mudbone

hmmmmmmmm leasburg what can i say ,well we are so far back in the sticks we put pants on the chickins to keep the buzzards from molestin em

26. Still Runnin

Still Runnin
    from VA & FL

Go to Maggie Valley in NC before the Wheels thu Time relocates out west - everything in the museum Dale has made sure that they all run. Cars and Bikes both. We've been trying to get there - closes in Novemeber.

27. blackout

blackout

28. blackout

blackout

Man that's just how I feel about those monstrosities, F'n corporate theme crap, ad nauseum, God when will it just end?

29. 32SEDAN

32SEDAN

Have two home towns (Thanks to the Army)

Turner, OR -- Rednecks of a different kind. Good place to be from.

Huntsville, AL -- Rocket City! Space race was born here! Also, an epicenter of all sorts of missiles and weapon systems built to destroy!

30. jimmyv

jimmyv

Well lets see we have heat and humidity, and???, pine trees, and heat, and snakes, and heat, and orange dirt, and heat, and mosquitoes, and heat, and???? Well there is Crusin the Coast and some nice sandy beaches a few hours south of me.