Register now to get rid of these ads!

I hated to do it but I had to scrap it.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lobucrod, Jul 13, 2008.

1. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

We are moving from Lubbock to Springtown and I had this '50 truck advertised for $175 which was what I thought it would bring at the scrap yard. Only a couple of lookers and no takers. The new home owners wanted it gone so I ran out of options. I ended up getting $280 for it at the scrap yard but I would rather have sold it to an individual for the $175. By the way it probably had 30 lbs of rat shit in the floorboards. Rat shit is worth $90 a ton at the scrap yard!

May it R.I.P.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. mazdaslam

mazdaslam

Shameful.......but.......You gotta do what you gotta do...........

3. Bodacious

Bodacious

Damn, no rat-rodders in your area? :D Oh well, at least it wasn't a Willys coupe or somethin..... ;)

4. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Damn, I woulda put it up for free before scrapping it. Tried ebay?

5. slammed

slammed

Junior Stock where were you?!!

6. here in switzerland you would get easely 2000 for it.

7. James427

James427
    BANNED

I had to do the same thing with two chevy pick-ups, Had them for sale forever without any takers for about scrap value. RIP

8. du$ty

du$ty

just a chevy...not like it was a Ford or anything.oops.

9. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

That's too bad. Did you try advertising here?
    Better yet, the Stovebolt.com website. For that price, I'd be surprised if someone there wouldn't have snagged it.
    Not trying to salt a wound--just pointing out that there are websites dedicated to EVERY kind of vehicle, and unless a guy strikes out there too, there's always hope.
    -Brad

10. Still Runnin

Still Runnin
    from VA & FL

11. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

There are other car site's other than the HAMB ? :confused:
    I woulda never imagined by the way guys here speak !! :eek:

There is a LowRider site called ChevyBombs.com, Them guys are always lookin for truck parts there.

Some people just need to relise there ARE MANY avenues to off stuff, Not just EBAY & HAMB classifieds.

Sometimes its un-avoidable !

12. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

was that a tow-truck??? i know someone looking for an old tow truck...damn...ohwell

13. Glen

Glen

The bed alone was worth $280 in scrap steel.

14. 6tall

6tall

Just another story that makes me mad/sick. You would never see something that old, that restorable, that cheap here in Ontario (Canada, not California). Never hurts my feelings when I see a Tempo or a Cavalier or a Camry get squished, but it bugs me to see real iron get crunched. As some of the other guys said, there are other places to let it be known that you would rather see an old car/truck find a new home rather than a trip to the scrapyard. And, I'll bet someone with the heart to see it roadworthy again would pay more than your local scrap dealer.

15. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

true, if it was a ford or anything else it would have been shot up or a least burned for a bonfire a long time ago:rolleyes::D

16. Crusty Nut

Crusty Nut

Everyone cries when this happens, but NOBODY puts their money where their mouth is. You gotta do what you gotta do. I admire your willingness to post it here.
    Even for free you would have had tire kickers. And they would have dicked you around with getting it out of your hair. I fully understand why old timers are grouchy and don't want to sell.

17. wvenfield

wvenfield

It's hard to believe that nobody would even hit you up for parts.

18. Squablow

Squablow

That's the truth. I've got a car here that no one wants to buy but I know I could part it out for big money. It's getting tempting.

I don't blame you for scrapping that truck at all. You ended up getting more for it that way anyway. If I was you I probably would have pulled the grille, hood, and doors off first though, maybe the whole cab for later resale.

19. whid

whid

i understand it had to be done,but damn dude we didnt need pictures that was just morbid.like takin pictures at a f'n funeral :D...............dave

20. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Don't feel bad, you tried. Can't save em all. At $175 if you'd been in my town I'd have already recognized you priced it under scrap. And woulda scavenged whatever parts I thought were sellable before taking it to the crusher and making some money. Don't go thinking just cause you might have sold it, it would have been "saved".

Truthfully what makes it desireable is what makes it hard to move. The dual rears. Something as simple as not fitting on a car trailer with rails eliminates half your potential buyers. Hate to see the ole girl go though.

At least they didn't do what they did to our stock car carcass the last time. Set it down in the middle of the yard and immediately dropped about a 25 ton I beam on it from 25 feet in the air. KA-SPLAT she's flat. I mean you know it's gonna happen, but did they really have to do it while we were still there?

21. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

You did what you needed to do; unfortunately, Chinese steelworkers will welcome this addition to their steel/iron melting pots...

22. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

As will the american foundry industry, which also runs on the exact same piles of scrap.

23. Road Runner

Road Runner

One of the most popular classic trucks there is.
    Very easy to sell good body parts all over the net.
    Plenty stovebolters in TX are always looking.
    Sorry you were forced to let it go like that.

24. BOHICA

BOHICA

Agreed. Unfortunately, it seems like deals like that truck and people who want them are almost always too far apart for it to be feasible.

25. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

what a cool truck, too bad.

26. a person can only collect so much before it overwhelms you! scrapping provides jobs and is "recycling"! everyone hates to see "vintage iron" go away but with local goverments waging war on "junk" cars/trucks its nice to see cleaning up paying off! you can bet it won't get any better with the locals, can you say EPA?

27. Marty McFly

Marty McFly

Looks a little familiar.....

Attached Files:

28. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

I've got a '56 Buick wagon that'll meet the same fate later this week. I've stripped everything I could sell of value off of it. The shell was solid, but the floors and rockers are gone. Nothing else of value that I would get off of it - and I ain't fightin' fiddleback spiders - and the nailhead (the reason I actually bought it in the first place) is garbage. I've saved a few pieces and have them for sale in the classifieds, but the shell will meet its fate.

It sucks that this stuff has to happen, but I saved this car from the crusher to spread a few pieces across the world. The steering setup is on its way to Germany, and everything else is being spread elsewhere.

If I had the room, I'da saved the old girl permanantly - or at least until I could have traded it for something else.

29. The Dodge Guy

The Dodge Guy

30. SaltCityCustoms

SaltCityCustoms

It happens I've done it and you will never get any of the I "want it's" until after you scrap it, and I love all of the people that say you should give these things away for free as if scrappers aren't going to jump on that deal anyway and how are you supposed to know if the guy wants to scrap it or build the car.