Register now to get rid of these ads!

Got myself a 351 Clevland Motor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scatcrankshafts, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Like the title says, I bought a 351C motor today for a steal! it turn smooth, and looks like it ran when it came out of god knows what. Pretty much has all the neccassary parts. I am debating weather or not to tear it down and rebuild to make sure it's solid, or just run it and see what happens.

Anyone know anything special about clevland motors>?

All I know it has 8 bolts for the valve covers? which I know means something.

And I know it has a 2 cast into the corner of the heads which means its a 2 barrell set-up?

The motors in tact, the carb is missing of course.... anyone have cheap two barrell for sale?

-Matt

2. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Go back thru my posts and I started a thread about them. I ended up keeping the motor in, but the car will be for sale soon enough so I can build a Merc with a SBC! :D So far as I heard great motor tho, tons of torque.

3. toddc

toddc

They are pretty big and heavy for 351 cubes, but do make great torque. The 2 on the heads means small ports. ( more 'normal' than 'small' ). They were available with 2V heads and 4 barrel carbs. Some friends of mine build them to the same specs over and over for every car they get. They put them in everything. Supposedly 400 HP. Lots of fun in a T-bucket.;)

4. thanks guys! yeah this motor turns smoothe, and compression tested fine! I can't wait to spruce it up, and slap it on my custom frame. it's a big motor that for sure, makes the other 289 in the shop look like a chump.

I'll keep you all updated!

-Matt

5. Pre-K

Pre-K
    from Ventura

Got one too. I'll sell you my 2 barrell carb, as I'm using a 4 barrell, but prefer the 2V heads over the huge valves of the 4V head, which make monster drag racing motors. The motor looks big, real broad shouldered, but isn't that heavy. Mondo torque at low RPM, too. Nice alternative to the oh-so-common SBC, and easy to dress up.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
  6. Dyce

Dyce

You need to talk to some of our Australian members. The Clevland engines sold there had 4brl closed cumbustion chambers and small 2brl runners. I helped a guy build a clever with them, 351w block with clevland heads. Lighter weight....

7. adamabomb76

adamabomb76
    from York, Pa

Good motor. I've heard alot about the strength in 'em. I'd still pull the heads, hone the cylinder walls, and do all the head seals, and the other crap before you put it in it's perch.

It's kinda like pullin a U-joint. Ya don't wanna do it all the time. Better to just go through it and make sure it's cool.

8. flatoz

flatoz

very big motor over here, lots of HP stuff for them, lots of places making intakes. look up funnelweb and do a search on clevo's in Australia, there would be an Aussie ford forum that would deal with them. I prefer windsors myself, but lots of guys go nuts over clevo's.

9. Come on, check the weight of a 303 Olds or early Caddy - them's heavy!

10. meteorgasser

meteorgasser
    from Lodi, Ohio

hey i am putting one in my wifes 60 caddy now hope to drive it soon

11. I got one on my 54 Ford. As my car is a custom I dont car about speed. I am running a 2 barrel with an electric choke. Straiht pipes with smittys, has a nice exhaust tone.Good low end grunt. Looks like a Chevy BB. I was able to locate some old Cal Custom valve covers for mine. Not a bad motor

12. George

George

The 351C-2V is a great engine! Has big ports & valves. 2.02 valves, you know how the Chevy guys talk about thier 2.02 heads, the 4V heads have the same size valves as the 454! Get an Edelbrock Performer or simular intake & a 600 Holley. Check out www.fordforums.com.au there a Cleveland section there. Tom Monroe's How to build Ford V8s is a good book.

13. ButtSlappingPirate

ButtSlappingPirate
    from oregon

Check the casting number on the block (down by the starter, near the oil pan rail, D0=1970, D1=1971, D2=1973, D4=1974, last year of the cleveland), as obviously it will tell you what year block it is, and in addition, if it's a stock, never-rebuilt cleveland, it will also tell you what compression ratio it has, the 1970-1971 2v motors having 9:1 compression (preferred, snappy engines with a couple of mods), 1972 having 8.5:1 (not that bad), and 1973-1974 having 8:1 compression (turd motors).

if you are going to have this engine rebuilt....here are some notes:

1. Make sure to get flat-top pistons.
    2. If you can afford a set, get a set of the Aussie 2V heads. While the port layout is similar to the American offerings, the USA heads have absolutely junk combustion chambers that don't allow for much of any ignition advance without pinging. Another note: if you are using Aussie heads, then it would be a good idea for dished pistons.
    3. When rebuilding the heads....By God, replace the valves, and get a good set. The clevelands are famous for snapping off intake valve heads....I have had two customers returning to me complaining about valves breaking and destroying the engines, of course, after they insisted on reusing the stock valves.
    4. Oil pump, oil pump, oil pump. HV pump and a bypass line from the oil pressure sending unit hole up front to the tapped hole on top of the block, where you would find a small-block chevy sending unit hole. The oiling system with a Cleveland is a bit of a joke, and this helps save the rear main bearing.
    5. Lose the points ignition, and throw in a Duraspark II distributor out of a 351M, 400, or 460. You can put an old points-style distributor cap and wires on it, and put some light chevy HEI advance springs in it to bring mechanical advance in a lot earlier.

This can be a really good engine with a little bit of work, even with the stock open-chamber heads. An Comp-cams Xtreme-energy cam (plus new springs and valves), performer intake, 9:1 compression, headers, 750 CFM Holley carb, and you have an easy 350+ HP.

14. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My daily had 4g worth of 351 Clevo and made 496.2 hp, build the same in the states at less than half the price. A motor with big balls the Clevo and so underated in the US.

15. elcornus

elcornus

Clevelands rule!!!!!!

PA210723.jpg

16. greg

greg

I have one in a 46 ford.
    Copy of motor.jpg
    This is before we painted it up. It has a 2 barrel and all stock. We did replace the lifters and couple of the rocker arm fulcrums that had some wear. The points distributor is stuck in the block, but the timing is ok, so im not going to force anything till I get a replacement in my hand to go back. It seems to run good so far. We have made a 4 hour drive with it a couple weeks ago with no problems. Just the cool looks of it is worth it.:rolleyes: And i thought I would mention, We got 11 mpg!!!!!:(

17. Tinman

Tinman
    from Orange, CA

Yeah, search around here a bit. There's been a few in-depth threads on these mills. Their real identity lies in having one of the best cylinder heads that Ford ever designed. Put those to work with a good intake and headers, a cam and springs if you've got the time and dough, and hang on.

I'll show you mine...

Attached Files:

18. Cleveland's (or 335 series) are great motors. These were also the motor of choice in the Pantera. A bit understood and don't confuse with the 351/400M which is the same, only different (1" taller deck height, different main brg size, longer rods). I have a Blown and Hilborn Injected 351C with 4V heads in the Anglia. Only problem is over oiling on the top end (put in restrictors) and stock rods don't really like 7500rpm with a 6-71.

19. You guys are so rad, thanks for all the comments, and help. I can't wait to get this baby running. I didn't know there were locals to me on this forum..... Its nice to know.

I love this motor already.

20. George

George

Clevelands, along with the 50s Hemis, are my favorite engine! 4V had comp up to 11.4, the Boss 351 11:1 & solid cam. Factory cams have a nice lope even on the 2V. You do find stuck distributors! The 2Vs had the FMX & 4Vs had the C6 tranny or 3 & 4 speeds. Keep in mind the factory intake & ex manifols work only with the matching heads 2V for 2V & 4V with 4V. There are aftermarket 4 bl intakes for both 2V & 4V heads. 351W electronic distributors will work if you change the cam gear. Not sure that 351M/400 or 429/460 will work.

21. The 351C, 351M, 400, & the 429/460 BBF all use the same distributor.

22. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do yourself a favor, get an Aussy set of 4V heads a good breathing intake (Funnelweb) and some runner tongues and make that puppy roar!

23. haha, well your in Australia! find me some.... mate'

-Matt

24. Good call.

Actually, there is always ebay, ebay Australia that is.

25. Pre-K

Pre-K
    from Ventura

I'm familiar with Aussie heads and Clevors.

My '72 has 8.75:1 comp, flat head pistons, 351W electronic ignition, high volumn oil pump w/bypass to rear, original Black Jack headers, new lifters, rockers, and valves under Cal Custom covers, a 600 CFM Autolite 4100 on a Performer topped with a Batwing. I'm loooking to do a RV cam, and maybe rods... maybe loose the C4 for a manual.

Sounds bitchin' to me, delivers near 20 MPG when I'm not hauling my Airstream or ass.

Total of 12 Benjamins so far.

26. nooch

nooch

SNAP! That engine looks awesome! Most of the dress ups I've seen for a cleve are pretty 'bogan', a little too street machine, but yours looks quite classy - where did you source the valve covers etc?

nooch

27. 54velox

54velox
    from Australia

I'm trying to find a cheap set of block hugger headers for a Cleveland. There are heaps of places around selling cheap sets for Chevs but not for the Clevelands.

If anyone can steer me in the direction of cheap sets I'd really appreciate it.

Cheers

28. Pffft.....we have a saying for em here....

HAND GRENADES......HAHA

Seriously though, they can make mondo power, the real issues with them can be oiling systems and exhaust side breathing, both of which can be rectified.

CHI makes killer heads for them (a friend owns the Company www.chiheads.com) that won Engine Masters stateside 2 years in a row. They are excellent heads, (some say the best) for 351 C engines. They initially developed alum heads for the Aussie Hemi 6 cyl engine, then went to the Clevo as we Aussies call em.

They are a well loved and highly developed engine here because the Ford nuts went gaga over them in our GT Falcons, so the aftermarket has tooled up.

Losta "street rodders" here use em in 32s and 34s, but personally I reckon they're the ugliest engine in an open / hot rod engine bay. The look wrong in hot rods...just my opinion fellas.....

Rat

29. George

George

there's a guy in Oregon(?) that sells Aussie C parts on EBay from time to time

30. Pre-K

Pre-K
    from Ventura

eBah. I paid $160 for my NIB Black Jacks, originally for a '71 Mustang application. Cool thing about Clevelands is that there isn't a big market here for the 351C, so lots of goodies go wanting.