Register now to get rid of these ads!

Another WWII Vetran passed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flathead okie, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Their in a better place and together forever. R.I.P.

2. 4tford

4tford

Sorry for your loss. Your father is a true hero.

3. Flathead, sorry to hear of your loss. Our prayers are with you.

The "Greatest Generation" are truely special. If you are one of the lucky ones who still have them in your life make sure that you spend time with them today, July 4th.

4. Day is done ....... Gone the sun .......
    From the lakes ... From the hills ... From the skies .......
    All is well ....... Safely rest ....... God is nigh ........

Fading light ....... Dims the sight ........
    And a star ... Gems the sky ... Gleaming bright .......
    From afar ....... Drawing nigh ....... Falls the night .......
    Thanks and praise ....... For our days .......
    Neath the sun ... Neath the stars ... Neath the sky .......
    As we go ....... This we know ....... God is nigh ........

5. dmc3113

dmc3113

Just remember all these veterans like your Father and mine each and every time you buy but a AMERICAN FLAG or anything for that matter. Sad truth is most AMERICAN FLAGS are made in China! Always buy AMERICAN no matter what!

6. Ole don

Ole don

Sorry to hear of your loss. My dad flew as the photographer in the belly of a reverse lend lease Mosquito over the Philipines durring that war. We owe a great deal to those brave men.

7. Your dad must have been a hell of a gunner to pop an ME-262 ! I'll bet he was a hell of a guy too . I fought in Viet Nam . All soldiers who have been in combat share a bond going back thousands of years . We don't even have to have met to be brothers . I'm fighting back tears as I write this . Sounds as though he had a great life and and a fantastic love for his wife .Would that we could all live as well .Best wishes .

8. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

Sounds to me that your parents are celebrating our Independence day in a manner all their own. While that may not be the greatest worded statement, their passing will forever remind those who knew them of why this is the greatest time of the year. Without veterans, who knows where we'd be right now.

My condolences to you and yours.

9. DOugG

DOugG
    from mich

Sorry to here about your loss. My dad was also a WWII vet. he passed away wed. berfore Memorial Day,quite fitting I thought he was a sarg. in the army and was shot in the back of the head and lived till 90yrs old. He also had 2 other brother that didn't make it back,one was a tail gunner on the Towering Titan bomer on a run to Dresdian Germany and had the wing cut off by a german jet.
    Doug

10. Rochlow

Rochlow
    from Vermont

Sorry to hear about your loss. As I write I know your pain. My grandfather passed on June 30, 2008. We buried him on my son's 2nd birthday July 3rd 2008.

Anyone that knows me knows how close I was to him. He and my grams raised me from a baby and I got to experience alot of highs in his life (I walked him up on stage when he got his diploma 5yrs ago, He asked me to be his guest when he went as an honoree to the WWII cermonies in D.C. and when I took him to see flags of our fathers, I watched a whole movie theater stop and follow him after they shook his hand.)

My grandma's first name was Fernaida, which is now my daughter's middle name and my gramp's middle name was Aime (although everyone called him that) which is now my son's middle name.

Funny, how a man with a six grade eduacation could teach so much. He thought me how to turn wrenches, drink beer and chase women (I was never as good as he was at any of these). He thought me a love for our country and flag, to honor the veteran, to be responsible for your actions and work hard for things most important in life . Most of all to love, honor and respect your family..

My heart is breaking as I'm writing this and will miss the fact that I will never get to talk to him again... But I hope if I keep his memory alive in stories, his spirit will never die..

11. Big T

Big T
    from Florida

As Olscrounger said...

I will add your father to those I think of whenever I put out our flag for holidays and remember them for what they did to preserve our way of life.

God bless your father and the many who served so we might have the life we do today.<!-- / message -->

12. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

Sorry for your loss..Thanks to your Dad and the other WW2 vets who defeated the enimies of the time. We must not forget them or all of the other vets that have kept us free.

13. Gman0046

Gman0046

When my Dad who was a WWll Veteran passed away not to long ago someone sent me this tribute. www.managedmusic.com, go to and click on Before You Go. I wish my Dad had seen this before he passed. Sadly WWll Vets are passing at the rate of a thousand a week.

14. Still Runnin

Still Runnin
    from VA & FL

There are not too many of our WWII heros left, my dad was one of them, I lost my dad 4 years ago this month, and I miss him every second of my days. Some say, which I would like to beleive, that you come back around and stay within your circle of family and friends. No doubt your mom and dad are meant to travel together & be together from here and back again!. Keep their memory alive and they will live on with you everday! I am so sorry for your loss!

15. 57fordlover

57fordlover

sorry about your dad,i lost mine in 96.he was 73.flew p47s in ww2.9th airforce.362nd ftr grp.i was a a marine sniper in nam.i don't think my 2 kids will appreciate me like i did my dad.most of the ww2 people,built this country up,only to watch it get torn down,by the flower children of my generation.your dad was a neat guy,and so was mine.so i'm very sorry for you.

16. Ron Mayes

Ron Mayes

God speed my father was a WWII Vet, me lost him a few years ago

17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry about you loosing your dad, he sounds like one of those guys a lot of us would have enjoyed knowing.
    I lost my dad five years ago to the big C. He was another WWII vet who was a tail gunner in B25's in the Pacific. He was pretty proud of having that "25 Mission Crush" on his dress service hat/cap. That was one of the badges of honor of the WWII vets who flew combat missions because they had earned the right to wear their cap that way.

18. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

I'm very humbled when ever I think of the sacrifice made by guys like your dad and others mentioned in this thread. Because of them I'm a free man.
    As each one of these unselfesh solders dies one more piece of American history dies with them. Sounds like you are proud of and loved Him as well as your Mom. Take comfort in the fact that they shared a life for so many years and that you were a part of it.

I have a good friend who flew 35 missions in the 9th AAF over Europe (tactical/ground support) in P-47s, 135 missions over Korea in F-86, F-100, and went on to retire in '63 as a major. He's 84 and so stove up he can hardly walk. But he's amazingly sharp and has becaome a close friend. He recently gave (put into my care) all of his Military "stuff" which includes, among other treasures, 10 reals of 16 mm gun camera film from WWII and Korea, plus gunnnery practice and "top gun" style contests he participated in during the late 40's-early 50's.
    Helping to preserve his(our) history is one of the biggest honors and responsibilities I have ever taken on. Makes me proud.
    I'm sorry to hear of your loss.

19. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Sorry to hear about your loss . I'm feeling the same feeling . We lost my grandfather a bit over a month ago - we buried him the same day we took my wife in to the hospital to have our 1st child (named after my grandmother) . What a topsy-turvey day of emotions that was !

My grandpop was a WWII veteran also . He was in the CBI theater (China-Burma-India) . He flew 99 missions over "the hump" in a B-24 named "the devil's own" , where he was a radio man for most of the time . He even had a plane blown up in an air raid , while they were having repairs done . He was supposed to be on watch over the plane , but the pilot (in charge) told him to go have a couple beers with him , so he wasn't blown up with the plane . He kept a piece of the plane & shrapnel from the bomb till his last day . Someone was watching over him that day . He got 2 distinguished flying crosses , a purple heart & a whole slew of other medals for his time in . He was a hard-working SOB his whole life , driving truck , shoveling coal , He retired from the state pen , retired from the police dept. & was an all-around good guy . He was 88 years old , extremely proud of his military time and is definately missed .