Register now to get rid of these ads!

What do inspection stations in PA need to do?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deuce Rails, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Deuce Rails

Deuce Rails

I just got a newish car back from a dealership that was in for Pennsylvania state inspection and emissions. It's an OBDII, so OT.

The dealership returned the car with signed inspection and emission stickers. However, the "Liddy Dole" third brake light wasn't working (although I asked that it be fixed), and two of the wheels hadn't been pulled (or checked off on the window sticker). I thought a third brake light that doesn't work wouldn't pass. What are the rules here?

The dealership is pretty awful, although the mechanic who did the actual work is a hardworking guy, and I think they just told him to sign the sticker and he did.

Can I fault the dealership in any way (perhaps with the state), or will the responsibility fall on the poor guy who signed the stickers?

Matt in PA

2. Deuce Rails

Deuce Rails

I have to say: I know I sound like I'm whining, but this dealership is asking for trouble with the stuff they pass off onto people who don't know any better.

3. 31whitey

31whitey

just be glad you got your car back

and that it passed

beware of what you ask for in that city

you just might get it

I would take all my cars to those guys...they must like you

4. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Well to answer your question , take it to a state police station and tell them what happened . That is the ones you tell who is doing dirty work and putting stickers on cars that are not up to code . They will get ahold of the inspector and have a real nice chat with them . Then it will go from there to who the state wants to screw !! What I would do is take your car to a police inspection station and have them inspect the car and you will have all the paper work from them on what is wrong with the car . Now take the dirty bastard that sold you the car and had it inspected and bring your lawyer and sew the bastard for all the work that need to be done ! If you get pulled over and a cop gives you a ticket for the problems that don't work , you have to fix it . There might be something wrong that could really be dangerous and you don't want that ! Shabby inspectors made it bad for all the rest ! Put the screws to the dealer and inspection station !
    Good Luck !!

5. mazdaslam

mazdaslam

Take it back and tell them that they did not fix the light like you had asked.Pa.only requires only 2 wheels to be pulled to check the brakes.Usually one front and then the opposite rear.Not that big of a deal.I dont see what the problem is??

6. wvenfield

wvenfield

Same here.

7. autobilly

autobilly

I'm with Mazdaslam, take it back to them first before involving the Cops etc. If you wanted your rod passed with some "defects" would you complain to the Cops?

8. Linetech

Linetech

I'm a Pa state insp mechanic so here is my 2 cents.Only 2 wheels have to be pulled 1 frt 1 rear oppisite side, mechanic is responsible for all 4.As for the 3rd brake light if it is factory it must work.If you go to the state that hardworking mechanic will get it in the ass big time,possibly cost him his job.The dealership will toss him to the wolves.Just go back and talk to the guy that worked on it and ask him to check the 3rd brake light I'm sure he'll be glad to knowing the alternitive.

9. sawzall

sawzall

go to the mechanic, after hours and ask whats up? DO not go over the mechanics head.. as it will cost him more than his job..

personally I wouldnt be too pissed, the result of NOT passing is much worse

10. Deuce Rails

Deuce Rails

Thanks for the clarification about two wheels needed to be pulled.

And you're completely right. The dealership would throw the mechanic to the wolves. Which is the problem. The dealership lied to me on a number of things, mostly from the mouth of the service manager. When I finally talked to the mechanic, I got a different (and more honest) story. I would like to see the manager get his walking papers, but it's the mechanic's signature on the stickers, not the manager's.

Thanks also, sawzall.

11. HOT ROD DAVE

HOT ROD DAVE

this is what happins to us certified mechanics all the time, state of mich tried frying me on a gas tank that was replaced with a after market by someone else and it came to me in a dealer i worked at to fix the clunk noise