Register now to get rid of these ads!

I can buy 500 Carburetors,what do you think

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Robert gilbert, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Robert gilbert

Robert gilbert
    from boston

400 plus carbs from 1932-1968 american cars and trucks. 200 plus one barrells 200 plus two barrells and 50 plus four barrells. The makers are carter, rochester, strongburgs,and cardo factory rebuilts many are boxed and ready to install 450 to 500 of them . What do you guys and girls think its a lot of money . Do you think it would be a wise investment . They are all rebuilt. There would be new carbs on evey hambers car for a good deal if im figuring it out right lol . Could you tell me the going rate for each maker a guess or your 2 cents . Like whats a rebuilt strongburg go for i know cores are $100 ? Whats a cardo ?thanks

2. Splinter

Splinter

Well, how much 'fer 'em?

3. Robert gilbert

Robert gilbert
    from boston

Its not cheap but i could sell them for about $60 ea depending on what they are

4. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Personally, I think you woulod wind up with a lot of carburetors on your hands. I'm not so sure there would be much of a demand for one barrels, and the stromberg's would only be desirable if they are 48's or 97's. Maybe I'm missing something here but the last Holley 500 CFM I sold went for $35.00 and you don't have any of those. I did get $65.00 for a pristine holley with Ford script circa 1940.

5. Elvisaurusrex

Elvisaurusrex

Well, the other question is, would your wife want 500 carbs laying around the house?

I'd say buy the old/rare/more valuable ones.

6. Kamp

Kamp
    from Peoria, IL

I would give you $65 each for two matching rebuilt WCFB 4 bbl's.

Really though, like mentioned before, it depends on what exactly is there. A pile of 97's should bring decent money ... a pile of Holley 2100's (1 bbl) not so much.

Kamp

7. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Figure 50% of them will still be on your shelf in 2 years, unless you sell them REAL cheap like .99 cent starting bid on Ebay. You may be getting some real dogs. Without a catalog and inventory list I would not give more than $5-10 each.

8. Robert gilbert

Robert gilbert
    from boston

there all boxed and tagged ,cadaloged and inventored

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you have the space to store them and the time to sort them out and market them right, plus buying them at a price that will allow a profit if only 50% of them bring your asking price in a reasonable time go for it.

Since it is probably a lot deal the biggest question is, can you afford to be out the money it takes to buy them untill enough are sold to have that money back in the bank.

10. HighSpeed LowDrag

HighSpeed LowDrag
    from Houston

I also think that you'ld be sitting on alot of stock.

If you can but them for 8.00 each and sell 20% at an average of 75.00 each, then I might think about it. The most pouplar carb #'s are probably not even part of what you'ld be buying. Why? Because they sold. You're basically buying unsold stock. Make sure that you can afford to sit on them for a while.

11. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

If you have the catalog and inventory, you know what is there. Now do a little research to see if there is any need for any of them. As what was mentioned, most of them are probably for cars that aren't going to be very popular. Look on the auction site and watch some of the auctions to see if they are selling.

12. Robert gilbert

Robert gilbert
    from boston

Ok im going to get a copy of the catalog and find out whats there . I asked about the 48-97 strongburgs he has a lot of cores that go with the stuff . And a lot of gm and crysler stuff rochester and carter stuff im going to look more in to it .

13. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

You need to figure you will be doing the same thing the seller is...dumping a bunch. If you sell 20% for a decent price you will be doing GOOD.

If you can't buy them at say $10 each or less I'd run away unless you want to have nice and cool Carb collection to show your friends.

14. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

If you can sell all of them. How much money will you have to tie up? How many would you have to sell at $60 ea to break even?

15. Robert gilbert

Robert gilbert
    from boston

I wasent going to say how much but i guess theres no harm in it . Id be paying 25 each on the rebuilt ones 450 to 500 of then and getting a bunch of cores to . id have to sell 100 at 100 dollers to make my money back or 200 at 50 dollers its over ten grand for the lot

16. Bodacious

Bodacious

If you make the deal, I'd be interested in a matching pair (by part / model numbers) of Carter Ball & Ball one barrels.

17. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

I would say it all depends on the price and how much time you like spending on e bay.

18. when I buy up big lots like that, I try to buy at or real close to what you would get tossing them in the bin. They would average about $2.50 each.

You probably cannot do that in this case. Look for the things you know will sell, such as the Stromberg97 and Holley 94's. Also any 20's and 30's stuff will do OK. You would have to sell 250 of them at $40 to break even, and you would make about $600 scrapping the rest.

I would try to get that pile for no more than $2500.

Even though they are rebuilt, they might need to be gone through again!!

19. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

Just to help a brotha out, put me down for 3 Carter or Rochester 1bbls to fit an Offy manifold on a 235 Chevy.

I might also go for 3 Roshester 2bbls to make up a tri-power set for my old Poncho.

Good luck if ya do it.

20. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

I would be interested in some Carter YF's; rebuilt or cores. We could talk after you get the list; or when you obtain the carbs.

21. gas pumper

gas pumper

If your getting a collection of oddballs, do you think that the odballs would bring some good money, cause where ya gonna find them?
    Common carbs are everywhere. It's obscurity that will bring the cash.
    Maybe, but that's what your gamble is gonna be.\

You know how them matching # restorers are. You could have a gold mine of obscurity.

But then, I like carburetors. Don't listen to my advice:D. I got a shelf with old ones I'll never sell. (Frank's Carburetor Museum and BBQ)

Frank

22. BigChief

BigChief

Your nuts. There's very little chance of you averaging 50-100 per carb over the long haul. Keep in mind that gaskets shrink and rubber dries out over time......and every person buying a used (or 20+ year old "new" reman) carb figures and/or knows he'll have to put a kit in it. That alone pulls the value of the 'average joe' carbs down to the 20-50 dollar range.....maaaayyybbeee. The good stuff has probably been picked through but its always worth a quick look.

....also, just because cores "are going for 100 bucks" doesn't mean you'll actually get it. Call some of the larger carb rebuilders/specialty carb companies and see what they'll actually will give you....I think you'll be suprised.

Any reman/used Cardo is worth about 10 bucks....max. The only stuff you'll pull good money out of are the popular Strombergs, Holley/Ford 94's, anything from a multi carb set up and numbers/application specific 4 barrel carbs. I'm speculating that 10 percent or less of the lot are desireable carbs and the rest will be 5 dollar swap meet table fodder.

...but look first but 10K is alot of money to have tied up on something that is most likely a bust.

-Bigchief.

23. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

One thing you might think about, you'll be selling carbs that you know nothing about; good rebuild or bad rebuild. So if you sell a carb to someone and it has problems, what do you do?

Anyway, good luck on whatever you decide.

24. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Id check it out very carefully.
    Correct muscle car carbs make Stromberg 97’s look like a little kids game.
    Check out what a Q jet for a 73 SD Pontiac is worth.
    A friend of mine found one in some cores he purchased, the thing brought over 3 g’s on eBay.

25. jimmyv

jimmyv

WAAAAYYYYY!!!!!!! to high. You will end up with many that you be lucky to get 3 or 4 bucks for. How long have they been sitting collecting dust? If they were rebuilt 20, 30, 40, or more years ago they will need to be freshened up again. Seals dry rot, get brittle, crack, fall apart, dirt dobbers and other insects get down inside every nook and cranny.....

26. SaltCityCustoms

SaltCityCustoms

Don't do it, I think you will have a lot of time and work ahead of you just to break even if you can even do that. The last guy probably spent forever trying to make his money on these carbs and is now trying to dump the problem on somebody else, He's not offering a sweet enough deal for you to make much if any profit and i would say that $3000-$4000 is a more worthy price for the lot.

27. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Sounds like you are buying someone else's headache. You need to buy at ten cents on the dollar of retail price. And figure them as cores unless the seller is willing to back up the rebuild.

You will have some scrap, some dogs- if you have the last rebuilt carb for a 37 Obscure-mobile and no one wants it, what are you going to do with it? It's worth hundreds to the right guy - but if you can't find that guy, what do you do?

Or if you know just the make and #, what does it cross-reference to? And if the brass tag is missing, a bunch of carbs look close to alike - what do you do?

28. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

just my 2 cents as a wanna be small businessman, I think that's waaaaaay too much. The headaches involved selling rebuilt carbs that were sitting on a shelf god knows how long sound awful. I'll guarandamntee you could get sued for everything you own when a carb leaks gas and burns up who knows what. I'd never take on that liability with 100s of old carbs. I might pay a few hundred, but they're probably worth more to
    a rebuilder.

29. 55RAT

55RAT

I also saw the ad for those carbs today and thought about it briefly.If I were you,I wouldnt tie up that kind of money for the lot,unless there was a crapload of 'good ones',and even then,you would probably end up with a whole bunch sitting on your shelf for a long time.Maybe go take a look at them and see for yourself. Maybe make a lowball offer if they look good and you really want them?-Just my 2 cents.

30. Desertratrodder nailed it. What will they bring in scrap value? High grade zinc is trading TODAY on the London spot market (LME) at around $1800/ton. In January it was at around $2800/ton. The trend will probably continue down as the world economy slows. Carburetors are not high grade and will bring less. If you can get $2-$3 each scrap that is probably pretty good.
    If this is a bunch of desireable units in fine condition with waiting buyers you may be on to something. If it's the usual collection of oddball leftovers in rebuilt, but not restored condition, then not so much.

Your seller already knows the scrap value. He wishes for a grape to peel (naive buyer to over pay) and also haul them away. If you don't ask you don't get.
    I would make an offer above scrap. No more than $4-$5 each, $2000-$2500 total. Be prepared to put in the time to make some money.
    I'm not trying to rain on anybody's parade. It may be possible that this could work.