Register now to get rid of these ads!

with a grinder

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bernardarama, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Bernardarama

Bernardarama

im taking my car down to bare metal to do some body work then paint it ive been using a da but its taking forever could i use a grinder or is it just going to mess anything up any ideas guys:)

2. don't use a grinder..it will remove metal and you will not like that . i know that there is special striping disc available..maybe eastwood has them? i'm sure others here will know more

3. billbrown

billbrown
    BANNED

rubber gloves and Jet Strip. No warping and you can drink beer with the huge amount of time you save.

4. 37FABRICATION

37FABRICATION

You can use a grinder and save all the metal shavings to make your own metalflake paint...

5. Motorbreath

Motorbreath

they make "flapper wheels" for grinders, in different grits, would still have to be carefull of heat buildup though.

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What bill brown said. Aircraft stripper (available at the paint store and some parts houses) a good scraper aka putty knife and good rubber gloves and I would suggest goggles or safety glasses.

The grinders or really course sanding disks in the wrong hands cause more damage than they fix and make more work for you to deal with.

7. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

I was told you could use 80 grit sanding discs. Then foloow up with 120 to smooth it back out.

Aircraft stripper works good too. You need to hit the paint with a little sand paper to scuff it first. and keep that stuff off yor skin!!! It burns like hell...

8. 3m had some really handy stripping disks that work quite well. Pretty much any auto store has them.

9. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh yes! Not a great idea! Sure, it looks nice and pretty as you're stripping, but you are making some SERIOUS headaches that will utlimately show in the finish as well as taking off unneeded amounts of metal and the potential for heating up the metal is high. Use stripper or have it media blasted. You may need to use stripping disks where the stripper needs some "persuasion", but limit the use.

Patience is a virtue. Don't get in a hurry.

10. Bernardarama

Bernardarama

thanks got some great info i stop by the store tonight looks like i got a lotta work any onther ideas

11. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

12. I stripped my entire 55 Plymouth using a disc grinder with the 3M stripping disc. It's not a flapper, it's sort of like woven plastic strands. I used four of them to do the whole car. So long as you are mindful of heat build up there is no problem. The beauty of them is they will take out surface rust down to shiny metal. I did the roof and hood with no warping at all.

13. Bernardarama

Bernardarama

where do u get gibbs and jasco stuff

14. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

JASCO is basically aircraft stripper. You can get it from Homeless Depot or Lowes, any of those places. Gibbs protectant can be purchased on Egay or through this place (and probably others):

http://getgibbs.com/index.php

It's expensive but it works very well. I even heard this weekend that you can paint over it, but I personally wouldn't just to be safe.

15. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

Yes, you can use a grinder to remove paint, but first some questions- How many layers of finish do you have to strip
    off? If just a couple or jus' the oem finish, than no I wouldn't
    use a grinding disc. If you're talkin' many layers of dead paint
    or filler and dead paint, than yes I would. A grinder is a great
    paint removal tool in well trained hands. A 24 grit closed coat
    disc, on a 7''or 9'' grinder will make quick work of a multi layer
    job, the trick is to know when to stop! Yeah ,even those 'mom-
    ma's boy' 4'' discs would work, but a smaller disc will generate
    more heat, and go through more discs faster. If you have never
    used a grinder to remove paint material, before, pratice on some
    scrap fenders first. A 24 grit disc, followed by a 36 and than a 60
    grit disc, will 'if 'used properly, leave the metal ready for a coat
    of etching primer or epoxy. I would not, however suggest you use
    plastic filler over a surface that hasn't been ground with either a 24
    or 36 grit disc. And......a big clue here, a cut-off disc isn't a paint
    removal tool! Cut-off discs arn't designed to be used or forced at
    an angle from their arbors, and to do so is lible to cause one to
    shatter. Trust me, having one of these fly to pieces at 10-12 thou-
    sand r.p.m.s , without a safety guard in place isn't an entery you
    want in your resume!

Swankey Devils C.C.

"Meanwhile, back aboard The Tainted Pork"

16. Toymont

Toymont
    from Montana

The 3M disks work great, they are called sandblaster discs or something similar, they are blue and you have to buy an adapter one time to fit a 31/2 angle grinder

17. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

didnt Navin take a grinder to a 911???? :D

18. I'd like to take a grinder to my ex-wife's 911

19. skajaquada

skajaquada
    from SLC Utard

go for the tal-strip aircraft coating remover. wear gloves, goggles and do it in a well ventilated area. checker/schucks/cragen/o'reilley carry it. if you get it on your skin, don't just say "eh" and ignore it becuase in about 30 seconds you'll be running around screaming like a little girl trying to remember where the nearest sink/hacksaw to remove the offending limb is located. works like a charm though...for the tough areas, get out the cheap wire brush, helps it out a bunch. otherwise a good putty knife does the trick. a gallon goes a long way :D

20. I used a grinder to take rust spots off from a beater. I wouldn't recommend it on a vehicle you actually give a damn about.

21. RATFINKFOREVER

RATFINKFOREVER
    from Canada Eh

true that stuff works like magic

22. welshj

welshj

I stripped my entire car in two days worth of work.
    Took everything down to polished bare metal...

Used a 4 1/2 inch angle grinder, and a cupped wire brush, and then a flat round wire brush for the hard to reach spots.

Just wear good eye, and ear protection.

joel

23. Rocknrod

Rocknrod
    from NC, USA

Hey...

Grab a window scraping razor blade. The big flat rectangular one that retracts in to the handle. Start out at a nick, and hold it at a 45 off the body, and slide it with one point forward.

If the paints that super thick, it'll fly off, falls off in chips/slivers. Takes no time, and aside from the occasional gouge theres nothing to fix afterward. You can even pick which layer to strip down to/leave the primer or whatever...

(Safety glasses, cause the paint chips fly...)

24. birkin08

birkin08
    from California

I did the same with a 7" grinder and a cup brush and it worked great..the primer laid down really well afterwards...never got past primer though

25. brucer

brucer
    from western ky

and get high off the fumes..

26. VNCduke

VNCduke
    from Washougal

I used a file and a pitchfork on my 57, turned out great

27. JDHolmes

JDHolmes
    from Spring TX

grinder's going to deform flat sheet metal due to rpm and heat buildup. If you choose it anyway, get an 80 grit flapper disk. Best way is with a variable speed buffer/grinder 9" with pads and go with lower rpm to prevent warping.