Register now to get rid of these ads!

Theft prevention

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tfeverfred, Jun 16, 2008.

1. bygeorge32

bygeorge32
    from Canton, Ga

there is a company called mobile teen gps. the system costs around 350 and has different monthly fees depending on has many times you want to ping the location every month. you can hide the antenna and the unit as they are both small. wire it up to a constant power source and you can find it any time w/a computer and internet svc. this unit also has a battery back up incase they find the unit and cut power. for a little more money you can set up different alerts if you want. if you interested PM me and I can get you more detailes.

2. nexxussian

nexxussian

The one I have been looking at (GPS Snich IIRC) has an internal battery, so even if you were to wire power to it, and the thieves cut the power, it will still broadcast for a week or so.

3. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

snitch sounds like it could work..how big is it?

4. nexxussian

nexxussian

IIRC it's the size of a pager.

5. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Would a couple of these act as a deterrent ?

6. curtiswyant

curtiswyant

It's also a good idea to have an agreed value insurance policy for the value it would take to rebuild your car :(

zzford likes this.
  7. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Nothing is perfect for all situations......

I'm installing an RFID system in the '50Burb. These are available on ebay, etc.... car won't start unless you're wearing the transponder. Same tracking devices as used in industry, etc.
    It'll work in conjunction with a few other devices I'm messin with.....

8. kustombypook

kustombypook

Having a kill switch or a fuel pump shut off switch really deosn't help as much now.Seems everything I see or hear about, the cars are getting towed, and then put in an enclosed trailer. GPS is the way to go now. Does no good to have a car that a thief can't start if he's gonna just tow your car to an undisclosed location. I would rather have a GPS on it so I could suprise them at their undisclosed location.

9. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

I just have a hidden switch that shuts off my electric fuel pump. Not many thieves will try to figure out what's wrong with a car that won't run.

PONTNAK123 likes this.
  10. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Wow, that GPS snitch looks pretty bad ass. That effectively eliminates the issue of if the crooks tow your ride and if they disconnect the battery. Not to mention the text message you get if your car gets moved, and the ability to track it's location in real time. That way not only do you know where your ride is, you can alert the authorities.

Or like in SickBoy's case, he and his friends Smith and Wesson can go pay the crooks a surprise visit.

11. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Watching a storage locker auction show on TV, the guy has a battery powered angle grinder with cutoff wheel, cuts the lock off in seconds. Looks to me like any padlock, chain, cable, steering wheel lock etc. is hardly a deterrent anymore?