Register now to get rid of these ads!

A question for tall dudes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by freeze plug, Jun 12, 2008.

1. notebooms

notebooms
    Alliance Member

Why would you want to drive something so low and small?

I'm 5'4" and i prefer to drive huge monster trucks. my big trucks get my excitement going, then i like to go out, drink beer and and taller guys always want to fight me..... probably 'cause i can bench more than them.

you guys aren't that much taller than me. we're about the same height. yeah.

-scott noteboom

by the way-- that Tall Sucks list rules.

2. freeze plug

freeze plug
    from Canton, CT

ive always had low cars, nothing ever that small. in highschool i drove a 1964 chrysler newport 9 passenger hardtop wagon nicknamed "the beast". though i have never had anything chopped...always wanted to

3. I'm, 6'7" and have a hard time fitting in just about everything. I *barely* fit in my stock 65 pickup.

My Hudson is channeled 4 inches and chopped 2.5 inches. I had to go with a seat out of a 65 fullsize Chevy car, with severely cut down risers to fit. I fit good, but most of my height is in my legs.

The "being tall sucks" list rules. I wholeheartedly agree at times. I'd add "Flying in a plane is akin to torture"...you should see how irate I get when average sized people are in the exit row.

A funny story about being tall...

When I was in college years ago, I was having a particularly bad day. I was at the check-out line in the grocery store, and the rather large woman ringing me up exclaimed "My God, you're so tall! Do you play basketball?"
    I answered "My God, you're so fat, do you Sumo wrestle?"

And, to make matters worse, I followed it up with "I can't do anything about being tall, but you sure as hell can do something about your size...next time stop and think before opening your mouth about something that is beyond a person's control."

Yeah, I was a dick. ha ha

4. Lucky77

Lucky77

I'm 6'1" and I was pretty uncomfortable in a chopped/chanelled model A coupe, even with the package tray removed and the seats all the way back. That being said, I fit pretty well in my 46" tall sedan but I have the seats in the back footwell area. I'd think twice about a truck, not too much room.

5. RoyalCrown32

RoyalCrown32

I'm 6' 6" and drive a chopped and channeled 33 Ford 5 window coupe. It fits fine although I had more room in my old unchopped 31 Chevy..

Attached Files:

6. The next time they ask if you play basketball, ask them if they play miniature golf.

7. James66g

James66g

I dunno guys I mean I think with some creativity he could do it. look to some other groups that have figured out work arounds. Hey man check out the mini truck world! I have seen a few pretty sweet stock floor "body dropped" as they call em trucks that lay rocker. I think if you engineer the frame and body with you in mind you should be ok just maybe get creative want that chopped roof but need more height how bout a reverse sectioning? Man that would be sick.As for me i am 6`6 430 wear a 5xlt shirt. So I roll a galaxie and when I do build me a truck it will be because someone finally read my below request!

8. Well,,I'm 6'4" and I have had 2 chopped cars,,,a 32 3-window and a 39 convert. and I ain't going to chop another one,,,they look cool but I drive the crap outta what I build and sped a bunch of hours on the road.

And these two cars were bigger inside than the truck cab you are looking at.

I am driving a 32 pickup now that leg room is a must,,,and you can do just so much to gain room in a truck.

Good luck with whatever you end up doing,,,but if it ain't comfortable to drive for a few hours at a time it ain't gonna be any fun. HRP

9. clemdaddy

clemdaddy

I'm also 6'4" 220lbs and if you haven't bought that pickup yet I'd do some rethinking. That 38 truck cab is little bitty without altering. It's the knees to dash and knees to steering wheel and then that shifter that will get you. You mentioned possibly a sedan or 5w... good thinking for big guys. I've built a few rides that don't fit and end up selling at a loss, so never again. Doing a 39 coupe now and everything is designed to drive. Which is the point...Just another opinion.

And no, I don't play basketball... I play volleyball, it involves tall chicks in bikinis.

10. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

I'm 6'4" too - before you do anything, mount some seats in it. A buddy's '40 pickup with a 4 inch chop was a complete no-go as to driving - head hit, knees hit steering wheel, could drive a few miles in an emergency but that's it.

You'll have enough headroom problems with an unchopped roof. Besides, I always liked the stock unchopped roofline.

The channel will work, and as others have said you can get the legroom back by lowering the floor. Traditionally chop was west coast, channel was east coast - and you're in CT so it's 'traditional' :)

11. firemunkey

firemunkey
    from temecula

I have a 38 pickup I'm building. I'm 6'4" 240 lbs with about a 32-34 inseam. I've yet to drive my project as I'm still building it. It has a 5" chop. Here are some of the things I have noticed, I have plenty of head room but the windshield is lower than the roof line. What I mean is that I will have to slump a little to see out, or lower my head. Seems a little akward, but then I notice I do the same in my toyota 4runner. I have goofed around with different seats and I think I wiil use a bench seat modified to fit over the tunnel. I tried seats on the floor but that was uncomfortable, legs up higher than the hip hurts for me really quick. Other issue is big feet in limited area for controls. All in all I think I can make it work for me and be comfortable enough. I went with a truck because there seems to be more space to sit up in. I really don't think I could fit in a chopped coupe, unless I was almost laying down. I still might try to build one around me someday. I would have liked to chop my truck more, but you have to be able to drive it. By the way it is not channeled, I had a custom frame built for it. Thinking about running taller cheater slicks on back, no engine in it yet so it might drop down a little more. Good luck and have fun.

Attached Files:

12. Circle City Kid

Circle City Kid
    from SoCal

Driving a car like you are sitting down is very uncomfortable. I'm 6'1 and every time i get into a lowered car or a chopped car the main problem i have is getting my legs under neath the steering wheel without them rubbing on the wheel. The most advice i would have for you is to position the seat and steering wheel into a position where it both looks good and feels good for you.

13. freeze plug

freeze plug
    from Canton, CT

you guys are amazing, i never thought I would get as many replies. im looking at it either saturday evening or sunday evening, depending which is best for this guy.

regardless of condition and even if itll work or not, im still picking it up. for $300 im getting the cab, grille, hood/hoodsides, unsplit wishbone front end, banjo rear with leaf pack, full frame, etc. basically everything minus engine/trans/bed

cant beat that, i could still use the driveterain and suspension parts on another car if i dont fit....

14. Lucky77

Lucky77

I know its not an option for every car but I have one of those removable steering wheel adapters that they sell in circle track catalogues. I don't have another option as my steering shaft ends about the middle of the door opening. Makes getting in and out a lot easier and I take the wheel with me if the car is out of sight. A little theft deterent, I think:rolleyes:

15. freeze plug

freeze plug
    from Canton, CT

thats not a bad idea

16. As Fernando says: "It's better to look good than to feel good."

17. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't know if this will help. This short video was from april of this year. It's about 30 seconds long. At the end I get out of the car...gives you a good feel for my height and the shortness of a chopped and channeled car. Not trying to hi-jack your post but it does show you a good idea of tall guy...short car

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlfKPOA7t-o

18. freeze plug

freeze plug
    from Canton, CT

is your seat a tad further back than a "stock" car? thats why im thinking a 5 window would help me out....

19. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

I'm not too tall (6', 32 inseam), but I drive a '41 Ford pickup daily. It is stock height, and even has the stock seat. I fit well enough (keeping in mind that I've travelled extensively in a '29 hiboy that is....uh....compact), and it is a satisfactory fit even on a full-tank fuel burn. OK, the seat is not very supportive, but as far as having enough room, it is not bad. But keep in mind that the cab is a LOT smaller than a later pickup. The whole deal is close; firewall, toe boards, doors, passenger (really snug if you have three in the cab). There is plenty of air between my pumpkin and the roof, but I still look through the top third of the windshield. A different seat might make some improvements, but keep in mind that there is hardly ever free lunch; a change that improves one factor very likely degrades your fit somewhere else. I highly recommend careful consideration and extensive measurement before shortening the cab in any dimension.

A friend of mine built a bitch'n '34 pickup a few (well, maybe 15) years ago that had a chopped top, and low stance. To protect the oil pan, he raised the drivetrain a little. It went together fine, and looked great, but the truck wasn't very comfortable on any mission longer than a trip to get burgers. Maybe that's OK for what you want to do, but if you need some distance capability, make sure to design the seating and cockpit around the pilot first, then figure out how to make a fashion statement.

20. dvmnorthwest

dvmnorthwest

I'm 6'4" with a 38 Ford pickup as well (in progress). My inseam is 38", so I am going to add "Buying pants sucks!!!" to the list for tall people.

For me, it looks like the top is going to get about 3 1/2" taken out and no channel. That's just what seemed most practical, while still alleviating the cab that sticks up like a sore thumb (in my opinion). I haven't decided on a particular seat yet, but from the test fits, it's going to be all the way back for leg room and fairly low (but not on the floor). Like I said though, I'm all legs and short in the torso.

21. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

I'm 6' 2" 220# I have a '41 Ford pickup cab that is chopped 4", no channel, i stepped the frame down under the cab area about 6" so the cab sits about 5" off the ground, looks channeled. I have about 4-5" over my head, I used a Dodge cargo van seat (bucket) and built the riser for it to get me right where i needed to be. Like was said before, the windshield is quite low in these so you'll have to consider more than headroom. My brother have a '34 p.u. that is chopped about 6", i'm good for short drives only in that, my brother is about 2" shorter than me and he's only good for two hours at a time in his truck.

22. PhatCaddy

PhatCaddy

Im 6'4" and after i hit myself enough times getting in my Caddy i learned the tech. Once im in ... tons of room.

Brian

23. freeze plug

freeze plug
    from Canton, CT

thanks again guys, ebverything is appreciated. and i am drunk. i'll take some pics for y'all tomorrow

24. BigVinDaddyMac

BigVinDaddyMac

I'm 6'6" and 285 lbs. I work at a hot rod shop. I can't fit in half these fuckers when they are stock much less chopped...then you channel one and it's like oh shit, I got in but it's gonna take an OBGYN with forceps and a chain hoist to get me back out. Personally, my vote goes to the extended cab ideas because blood flowing to your extremities is always a nice thing.

25. To which I reply: "No, I'm a jockey in the GRL. You know, The Giraffe Racing League". Actually, at five feet, sixteen inches tall, I'm considered short!
    Besides, if I were to play basketball, the term "fast break" would take on a whole different meaning.

26. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

6'1" -- 260 lbs

4" channel

5" chop

not bad really, i dont mind it at all... that being said... i want a roadster body, but not cause i hate the coupe, i just plain want a roadster...it will happen eventually, and i may even keep the coupe body i love it

Attached Files:

27. N312RB

N312RB
    from Burlington

I got to thinking about this a little.... what about a bubble in the roof like on the old gt-40s that Dan Gurney drove? I realize it would have to be on a "racy" style car, but?
    [​IMG]

28. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Interesting idea... just might work with the approach I want on my sports rod truck. Seriously, I'd consider it.

On the lighter side, should I use repro GT40 roof blisters or a couple of plow discs? Nyuck. Nyuck.

How about a canvas slide back roof and you can just stick your head out and wear goggles if you want also. It would be soft enough in the middle that an extra tall guy - or a short guy over a bump - would only flex it a little and not ding his beanie. It would be good on Halloween, too, if you wanna go as a Roth Wierdo.

Later, Gary

29. N312RB

N312RB
    from Burlington

what about just forming them out of aluminum or bronze or whatever?

30. Darkhorse

Darkhorse

Great story Hudsoncustom!! The truth hurts sometimes.

I get the tall questions almost daily. I'm 6' 8", 38" inseam and my previous hot rod was a '28 Roadster pickup. You just have to have a friend that is a trimmer. He made a bitchin' seat that was comfortable for even long jaunts to Cali.

In college, I only dated chicks over 6' and when they are that tall, they have legs that go for miles!!!