Register now to get rid of these ads!

f-cked up feature in ol skool rodz

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FORDOLE500, Jun 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Don't like it,don't buy it.

Buy quality when,and where,you find it.

Like Hop Up,Rodders Journal,Mag-Neto,Rolls and Pleats,etc.

And when you DON"T buy car magazines,
    becasue they all Suck compared to the HAMB,send Ryan a few bucks.

2. [ QUOTE ]
    Sam, a serious question- why do you consider it a "lame-ass term"? If all the mags used the term "trad rod" to describe primered bare-bones rides, would you hate it just as much?

[/ QUOTE ]`

I consider it a "lame-ass-term" for a few reasons...

One, the general hot rodding public now refers to EVERY primered hot rod as a "RAT ROD".

Two, people on e-bay made the term famous by attaching it to every fucking car part that is pre-1950... and even to a few that are pre-1970. [​IMG] That's lame.

And my final reason is that now the term... and the type of car, is popular... there seems to be a certain (I can't put my finger on it) type of local yokle out there that goes around sayin' "I'm gonna build me one of those RAT RODS".

I guess the bottom line is, there IS such a thing as a "RAT ROD"... it's a cobbled together pile of crappy parts, a car that tries to make a STATEMENT... it's an attempt to piss off the establishment by its SHOCK VALUE.

I guess I was wrong in braking it into two groups... RAT RODS and TRADITIONAL RODS... Because there's another group that comes to mind and that's HOT RODS...

I guess maybe we should just all try to get along...

Sam.

3. Germ

Germ

I told this DUDE before he builds any hot rods he better build his CHICK a fucking treadmill cause she's getting kinda FAT,,,,,,

He was kinda mad

4. Roothawg

Roothawg

I guess the OSR must be everywhere but here....I have never seen one on the stands. How many Hambers are contributors?

5. bigron

bigron

how about a osr chick calendar? lol! rockafatty chicks 2005

6. JamesG

JamesG

Ok, I'll chime in......

Why has'nt anyone said anything about the car a few issues back that had the rear roof and window from another car welded on top of the one they chopped?

Now that car was a p.o.s. I think it was a Mopar? Sorry if the guy that owns it comes here and reads this, but you think they would have a little higher of a stander for picking cars to put in their rag...............my 2 centzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz [​IMG]

7. Missing Link

Missing Link

[ QUOTE ]
    Why has'nt anyone said anything about the car a few issues back that had the rear roof and window from another car welded on top of the one they chopped?

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe that did come up already. That car makes me laugh as well as the "no window" in the new issue. There are some quality built cars in OSR. There are also some "builds" that aren't worth three drops of monkey piss. It's no different than any other "Kulture" magazine out there. To each his own. I guess I will just never understand how doing something half-assed can be cool in any way...
    The point has already been made but I will reiterate, if you don't like the mag don't buy it.

8. Mike

Mike

I think Mike (buick59) is right, there really hasn't been much constructive criticism here. I haven't seen many posts saying any thing like "there's a tad of space for improvement" as JimA said, but I see a lot of posts saying that the mag is total crap. Nothing constructive there.

Yes, there are some shit cars featured. Yes, there is a good bit of cheesey writing. Yes, some of the staff have a hard on for the term "Rat Rod". There is also alot of good stuff that people on this board have been calmouring for. There are a lot of neat cars featured (cars that will never be seen in other mags). There is some good writing and some good photography. There are some really good tech articles. I know there are some Bo Huff fans here. Do you wonder why Muttley had never heard of him? Becaause non of the other mags ever feature him or his cars.

It's like any other hot rod/custom car mag, there's stuff you like, there's stuff you don't like or don't care about. With OSR, I ignore or laugh at the cheese, and enjoy the stuff I like. Enjoy the stuff you like and don't worry about the rest.

I look at it this way, Rodders Journal is the steak dinner at the fancy restraunt, Hop Up is the $10 cheeseburger at Sizzler, OSR is the greasy cheeseburger at the grungy diner in the bad part of town. They're different, but I like them all. I don't bash the greasy cheeseburger for being a greasy cheeseburger, and if you don't like greasy cheeseburgers, don't eat them.

9. Killer

Killer

I talked a bit with with Chris(?) from OSR before it came out. I was looking forward to it (dumb name... big deal) till it came out.

I was dissapointed.

Mike, make that fuckin mag right. There's no such thing as constructive crtisism. If people are telling you that mag you work on sucks, it probably does! MAKE IT RIGHT.

Focus on the cars. No tattoos. No art. No rockabilly scenester shit. You'll have a winner. Don't believe me?? What mags to people constantly say are "right"?? Rodders Journal? Hop Up? Whats the main focus?

Whn you water down a car mag with "the scene", your gonna lose 80% of the car guys. That means your target audience will be new people into the "scene"... Unfortunately that means feature cars, like the no back window one up there, is what they're gonna dig... more power to em.

I've watched this "scene" bullshit for quite awhile. After a bit people make a decision... they either become car guys, stay in the scene (dress, tattoos, no car) or move on to the newest fad.

I don't understand why they can do so good with the Horse but fuck up OSR???

I'm gonna say that most of the problem with OSR is that the people who started it are new to traditional hot rods and customs themselves. That means the focus will be what it has been, the "scene".

Whatever... I decided after the first one that it was a "scene" mag and lumped it in the same pile as CK Deluxe... not worth looking at.

Mike, use your position at OSR to feature good shit and educate the masses. The people you work with and the readers. The mag can only get better if you do.

But what the fuck do I know about magazines....

10. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

Wait a minute here...

I think I'm in Bazarro-HAMB...

JimA's picking on someone ELSE's Magazine/Organization??!!! [​IMG]

I think I have to go check if the sun still sets in the West...

11. FORDOLE500

FORDOLE500

[ QUOTE ]
    Ok, I'll chime in......

Now that car was a p.o.s. I think it was a Mopar? Sorry if the guy that owns it comes here and reads this, but you think they would have a little higher of a stander for picking cars to put in their rag...............my 2 centzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ] i think that is why i started this post because of that car its just the new pos just set me off(the straw that broke...)

12. RF

RF

I like Custom Rodder...

13. FORDOLE500

FORDOLE500

[ QUOTE ]
    I think Mike (buick59) is right, there really hasn't been much constructive criticism here. I haven't seen many posts saying any thing like "there's a tad of space for improvement" as JimA said, but I see a lot of posts saying that the mag is total crap. Nothing constructive there.

Yes, there are some shit cars featured. Yes, there is a good bit of cheesey writing. Yes, some of the staff have a hard on for the term "Rat Rod". There is also alot of good stuff that people on this board have been calmouring for. There are a lot of neat cars featured (cars that will never be seen in other mags). There is some good writing and some good photography. There are some really good tech articles. I know there are some Bo Huff fans here. Do you wonder why Muttley had never heard of him? Becaause non of the other mags ever feature him or his cars.

It's like any other hot rod/custom car mag, there's stuff you like, there's stuff you don't like or don't care about. With OSR, I ignore or laugh at the cheese, and enjoy the stuff I like. Enjoy the stuff you like and don't worry about the rest.

I look at it this way, Rodders Journal is the steak dinner at the fancy restraunt, Hop Up is the $10 cheeseburger at Sizzler, OSR is the greasy cheeseburger at the grungy diner in the bad part of town. They're different, but I like them all. I don't bash the greasy cheeseburger for being a greasy cheeseburger, and if you don't like greasy cheeseburgers, don't eat them.

[/ QUOTE ]word up!!!

14. FORDOLE500

FORDOLE500

Me and sergio were talking a couple of weeks ago about how there are two kinds of greasers... the car greaser who isnt really traditionaly correct but builds cool cars with taste and creativity example cole foster.... the other is into the scene the tattoos, vintage clothes shopping, music, etc and they drive some kind of mid to late 60s 4 door or a car that looks like a wedge o' cheese

15. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

[ QUOTE ]
    I like Custom Rodder...

[/ QUOTE ]
    So do I, hell I get Custom Rodder, Rodder Journal, and Rod and Custom without looking at them. The others I leaf through first. I know what to expect from them, I dig quality. The others are hit and miss, I hope Buick59 can kick 'em in the a$$ and fix teh inconsistancies and get rid of the scene BS. IT's about the cars...

16. Iceberg

Iceberg

That magazine is simply awful, save your money and buy the Hop Up annual. I have seen turds that are better reading that that pile of steaming dung. Their over use of the now trendy terms Rat Rod, Rodz, Ol' Skool, Rockabilly, Kustoms, Daz'.......makes me want to hurl! I have issue #2 if anyone wants it (there are no puke stains on it).

17. [ QUOTE ]
    Wait a minute here...

I think I'm in Bazarro-HAMB...

JimA's picking on someone ELSE's Magazine/Organization??!!! [​IMG]

I think I have to go check if the sun still sets in the West...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it does. I'm totally open to criticism. I haven't heard any lately so I'd really like to hear some, but first you would actually have to read the magazine and second have something other to say than "GREEDYGUYS, GREEDYGUYS, GREEDYGUYS!" (that one was old 10 years ago).

I love that the opinion of a person that actually knows something about the topic in question doesn't count [​IMG] Check out the new Rodder's Journal (particularly the Editorial) and see if I can't be allowed some room to express a "professional opinion". Yes, I;m still a HAMB idiot, but an idiot that knows a little about magazines.

18. speedaddict

speedaddict
    from Austin, Tx

[ QUOTE ]

the driver looking like a monkey fucking a football...

[/ QUOTE ]

Sam, I love this quote, gonna have to use it in my sig.

19. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

It was a joke. [​IMG]

Just thought it was funny that the roles are usually reversed on here. I know you know the business.

I've never seen OSR... But I'd be willing to bet you're right about it.

20. No problem Phil (I figured), but I'm seriously ALWAYS open to critiques, everyone doing mags needs to be very humble because there's NO WAY to make everyone happy at the same time.

21. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

"Don't like it,don't buy it."

that's the best way to sum it up..yeah,there are a few crappy lookin cars,but come on..it's a "rat rod" magazine that prides itself on home done builds..it's just a departure from the shiny billet car magazines you have to look at now.i enjoy the magazine because they do bring some nice rides,but you gotta remember,when you're dealing witht he low-buck guys,you're gonna have a few turds.just skip past that and get on to the cool stuff,just like i skip past the lime green and pastel pink cars in rod and custom.read what you want,skip what you dont.
    Creepy

22. Gracie

Gracie

Real boobs, no matter the size, are ALWAYS better than fake boobs of ANY size.

23. Gracie brings it TOTALLY on topic!!! What a good point- and to add to it, any "boob mag" is a good one!

24. repoguy

repoguy

[ QUOTE ]
    I decided after the first one that it was a "scene" mag and lumped it in the same pile as CK Deluxe...

[/ QUOTE ]

I made the same connection. Except it seems that OSR is even less selective about the cars they will feature. I swear as soon as I saw that red Dodge with the hacked up roof I said to myself "this is what they consider to be magazine quality?" And I also thought that the overdone 50's Caddy owned by the tattoo guy was a crime. Not trying to bash anyone's work, but that's honestly what I thought.

It almost seemed that by mixing pictures & features of decent cars with those of cobbled-together rockabilly shit-mobiles, they were attempting to legitimize the latter, thus capturing a market of wannabees that are desperately seeking some "street cred" on the car scene.

Whenever I see car features mixed in with all the scenester / kats & kittens / doowopdaddy bullshit, it makes me feel like the cars have been reduced to a simple fashion accessory, and that's pretty gay.

And those obese fullsleeved models give me fucking nightmares. [​IMG]

25. Germ

Germ

I dont know how to read

26. Johnny Ace

Johnny Ace

A few random comments until the coffee kicks in...

We were really hoping SHOP RAG would make another appearance.....there's always hope.

Sure, Buick59 is a loose cannon- a "camera on the edge", [​IMG], but it is a natural response to want to defend your work and/or the source that makes it possible to help share your work...if that source is paying you to continue the work you love,then all the better...life can be good,that way.
    We hope OSR continues to evolve, and to serve as both entertainment and to provide a positive return for folks who advertise therein....Why knock OSR when you KNOW that Flyrite has full page ads in each issue? When you condemn the book, you might as well be criticizing your fellow HAMB members for even appearing in the mag.
    We still think that HAMB writers would help solve alot of problems...and HAMB artists - the same ones who get called on to share their talents,and do so with great energy, here on the board.
    We have said before, and it is no idle threat, that if we ever benefited from better exposure and coverage, our FIRST move would be to take our business to fellow members...more auctions for the board,benefits for those who need it,parts from board dealers,work from fellow craftsmen and artists,etc...
    We ARE going to be in OSR,and hopefully Garage. Those who know what we are trying to accomplish will most likely have something positive to say. It would be great to see an issue with a story on Flyrite, for example? What about a feature on Thee Barnett or Fat Lucky?
    And Buick59, please feel free to nominate us for art director for OSR....we will serve if elected... [​IMG]

27. Satinblack

Satinblack

Ok, I like OSR. All mags have there ups and downs. I have seen it all. And I like the work that Mike(Buick59) does, no problem there. I will admit I just saw the new issue at the local market and already walked thru the check out so I didnt buy it yet. but all I can say about this car is

"What the F^&*!"

Nuff said

LOL, I just showed someone the pic of that thing and he about died right here. He is on the hamb so I wont say who, but I will say this guy likes EVERYTHING! So something has gotta be wrong.

Did someone say this was a feature??? I think I'm gonna be sick

28. Johnny Ace

Johnny Ace

[ QUOTE ]
    I dont know how to read

[/ QUOTE ]

How did you find Paris Hilton's room number, Joto?

29. Spitfire1776

Spitfire1776
    from York, PA

Who said anything about a room number, you could probably smell that shit a mile away.

30. lownslow

lownslow

maybe evel could put out a new dvd. called ''bad fabricators society'' and that chevy could be the cover car!.........i like the mag and yes would have my car in there......but that chevy is the worst i have seen in quite a while!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!........maybe the orcabetty leaned on the back of the car.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.