Register now to get rid of these ads!

is Model A 5 window improper HOT ROD english??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 49ratfink, Jun 11, 2008.

1. striper

striper

This thread just redeemed itself :D:D:D

2. uncleo

uncleo

Greetings from Long Branch N.J.,Americas first seashore resort and 7 time U.S.summer capital....over the many years here at Rat Radio W.R.A.T.-F.M. at the Jersey Shore we have given away numerous new cars,trucks and motorcyles....last year we gave away as advertised a new Pontiac Solstice ''ROADSTER'' with optional POWER WINDOWS ....''How would you like to win this 2 seat ''roadster'' How cool would that be?....made a point to leave ''roadster'' out of written copy until promotion and sales picked up on it....I have a real roadster a '31 A bone....Ya Think !!
    Lee

3. L.A.-Bar

L.A.-Bar
    from Lforida

...."pleat & roll"......"ballanced & blueprinted".....

4. hershambob

hershambob

we had a guy here in england who had 33 plymouth duece coupe on his 33 plymouth and i have a mate who pronounces deuce,juice,

5. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

I got one out of left field from my grandson the other day. "Papa, is your hot rod a boy or a girl?" After thinking for a second I said, "well, it's blue, so I guess it's a boy." Seemed to satisfy him.

Where do 9 year olds come up with that stuff? LOL

6. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

<TABLE class=infobox style="FONT-SIZE: 90&#37;; WIDTH: 258px; COLOR: black; TEXT-ALIGN: left"><TBODY><TR><TH style="COLOR: black; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #eee">Body style(s)</TH><TD>A &#8211; Chassis
    Convertible Sedan (A-400)
    Business Coupe
    Coupe[[1]]
    Deluxe Coupe
    Sport Coupe
    Standard Coupe
    Deluxe Coupe
    Standard Fordor Sedan - Murray
    Standard Fordor Sedan - Briggs
    Deluxe Fordor Sedan - Murray
    Deluxe Fordor Sedan - Briggs
    Leatherback Fordor Sedan
    Standard Fordor Sedan &#8211; Slant windshield
    Mail Truck
    Panel Truck
    Phaeton 2-door
    Phaeton 4-door
    Deluxe Service Pickup
    Roadster Pickup
    Pickup
    Deluxe Pickup
    Standard Roadster
    Deluxe Roadster
    Sport Roadster
    Station Wagon
    Taxi Cab
    Town Car
    Town Car Delivery
    Standard Tudor Sedan
    Deluxe Tudor Sedan
    Victoria
    Wood Panel Delivery
    Station wagon

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

7. HotRodPaint.com

HotRodPaint.com

It is a referrence to a body style shared by many manufacturers. If a manufacturer only made roadsters, it would be kind of silly to say you could not call it a roadster, because that is all that was built.

The simple fact is that it IS a 5-window coupe.

If you want to correct something, tell everybody that having a straight axle does not make every car a "gasser".

8. Camel

Camel
    from oroville

Reffering makes me laugh. Is that anything like referring?

9. No, but typing on the HAMB after 4 hours sleep in three days makesfor some typo's. I'm guessing your doctrate is in Engish or is it just in smart ass. Will you proof read everything for me before I post it? I could use the help sometimes.

10. Hmmmmmmm. I wonder if its a two door Tudor sedan???

11. From the Model A Restorers Club website:

[​IMG]
    Early 1928 Standard Coupe 45A

[​IMG]
    1928 Standard Coupe 45A

[​IMG]
    1929 Standard Coupe 45A

[​IMG]
    1928 Special Coupe 49A

[​IMG]
    1928 Sport Coupe 50A

[​IMG]
    1929 Sport Coupe 50A

[​IMG]
    1928 Business Coupe 54A

The Business Coupe 54A is similar to the Sport Coupe 50A except it has a trunk instead of rumble seat and is not equipped with Landau Irons. With introduction of the 1929 model the oval windows were added to the rear quarter. Later Ford did offer the Landau Irons as an accessory.

[​IMG]
    1929 Business Coupe 54A

[​IMG]
    1930 Standard Coupe 45B

[​IMG]
    1930 Deluxe Coupe 45B

[​IMG]
    1931 Standard Coupe 45B

[​IMG]
    1931 Deluxe Coupe 45B

[​IMG]
    1930 Sport Coupe 50B

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    1931 Sport Coupe 50B

... and not one mention on the entire website about the number of windows in the Coupe body style.

I realize that Hot Rodders are 180 degrees from Restorers ... and that it was the Hot Rodders that came up with the "5wd" & "3wd" nicknames for Deuce coupes ... but never in my life have I heard a real Hot Rodder refer to a Model A coupe as a 5wd.

12. "model A 5 window coupe" may be redundant but it's not WRONG, just goofy. And how come redundant has more than one definition in the dictionary

"If you want to correct something, tell everybody that having a straight axle does not make every car a "gasser".
    And there were plenty of Gasser's that didn't have straight axles! Or even sit all that high.

13. As a proof reader, I'd be more than happy to correct your American English for you...

Pointless though this thread is–it has thrown up a lovely set of original A marketing shots. Stirling effort Hemi!

14. But you probably speak that funny "Kings" English. Things like colours of cars right? Ha Ha. Nice marketing shots my dad has some of those in like 10 x 14 glossy framed. So is a tudor a 5 window?

15. In the 40's and 50's term chopped and channeled meant just that. The term 5 window came into use after the model "B" or 32 Ford came out with 3 window and 5 window coupes After that time the term 5 window came into popular use to deferentiat ( is that a word? ) between sport or business coupes and 5 window coupes. As to what restorers use as compared to hot rodders is Apples to Oranges. And YES children the now popular "32" was originally called the model "B", just find a Hot rod magazine from the 50's and check the adds from places like Shells. What gets to me are terms such as dizzy and carby, I can except steelies but we called them solids. And one thing more Knurf bars are on the side and bumpers go on the front and rear.

16. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Trad hot rodder's are much more anal-retentive than restorer's these days.

17. NAH!
    just more self righteous.

18. I SMELL SMOKE

I SMELL SMOKE

im just glad no one has brought up model a 5w ratrod . some of the board guys go little crazy when you throw that term out

19. bigfive

bigfive
    from south L.A.

Ive Got A 6 Window Coupe... Wanna See?

20. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

Dude, does it have nos?

21. weez

weez

Now if we could just get everyone to use apostrophes correctly- (immediately pelted with vegetables)

22. Fenders

Fenders

I nominate this for the best LOL post of the month !!

23. primed34

primed34

While we're trashing this, let's not forget two door coupe. Ever see a coupe with more than two doors?

24. Billybobdad

Billybobdad

I see this one all the time here

Pamona:eek:
    it's
    P-O-M-O-N-A:D

25. El Gordo

El Gordo

Weird! while reading this thread the wife calls me to the front window to see a tiltdeck delivering a very original looking '30 5-window (sorry:D) to the neighbours! The neighbour has never owned anything other than minivans in the 10 years I've knowen him.

26. El Gordo

El Gordo

There was an ad in todays paper selling a "2 door Mustang":confused:

27. You must be a bad influance

28. There actually was one,that I knew of. It was a prototype and my dentist used to own it. His name was Ingersol and he lived in Long Beach. He was in a Model A club and had about 30 Model A's. He searched for years til he finally found it and bought it. The last I heard he was gonna donate it to a Museum so it wouldn't be made into a Streetrod! He hated Streetrods...A guy came and made a mold of the body,to reproduce glass ones. Don't know what ever happened to it. He died right after my dad died,so I never got to ask him what he did with it.

29. chucklz

chucklz
    from KC

Mine is a standard coupe... I mean it does have a 3 speed :)

30. HEY! Is that meant for me? It only happened once! LOL!!!! I have it taped to my computer now,HA HA!