Register now to get rid of these ads!

27 ford vin #

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 27 Tudor, Jun 11, 2008.

1. 27 Tudor

27 Tudor
    from san jose

can anyone tell me where i can find the vin # on a 27 ford tudor

2. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

On the stock Model T engine. Nowhere else. Not on the frame. Not on the body. Not on the rear. Engine only. VINs hadn't been invented yet. LOL

3. Except on '26 n '27 T's where it's on the upper side of the right hand rail beneath the floorboard....

4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

According to the T encyclopedia, numbers were stamped on right frame rail after late 1925. Before that, engine only. I've never seen one, and the info I'm quoting is very scanty.

5. Oilcan Harry

Oilcan Harry
    from INDY

When I looked into this, I was told the frames were stamped after 1925. But, they also said not every assembly plant did what they were supposed to do, when they were supposed to do it. So late 25 and some early 26 frames at least, may not have been stamped.

6. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

I have worked on, wire brushed, welded and painted at least a dozen 26-27 frames (dad and grandpa restored em and I often was roped into helping) and I have never seen the elusive "VIN on the frame" that people talk about. Possibly rust had its way with the numbers before I got to see them... I dunno. I am by no means a Model T "wealth of info" though. Maybe someone else has different first-hand experience.

7. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

no stamp anywhere on my 26.

8. I have three frames, all '26 & '27, 2 USA LHD and one UK RHD, and they're all stamped roughly near the handbrake cross shaft on the top of the right hand rail.

9. Never seen one on a frame, engine numbers only. Remember, replacement blocks had a blank pad, no numbers. The mech was to transfer the numbers when the new engine went in.

10. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

I have had 2 26~27 T frames that were stamped, Close to the hand brake.

Was going to purchase one from a guy & the # was stamped at the rear just before the cross member on the Pass side !

11. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The stamping guy wasted three seconds scratching his nose and that one almost got away!
    I've also heard that some plants stamped frame or crossmember at rear with number of spring leaves used, essentially designating which body type frame was to be used for.

12. wetrock

wetrock

I have a 26 Coupe that has no VIN on the frame. I'm not completely certain, but it does have things that make me believe it's an early (25) production car. I also have two additional frames, one with the regular rear crossmember and one with the beefier rear crossmember. The regular frame does not have a VIN but the one with the beefier crossmember does on the right hand frame rail under the floorboard area. There are a lot of different stories about when and where the VINs were located. Some people say that they started stamping the frames at the time they started using the stronger rear crossmembers. While people have confirmed that some earlier 26 frames do have VINs, I usually expect that a regular frame might have a VIN and a later beefier frame should have a VIN.

13. Tall Tom

Tall Tom
    from Austin MN

All of the 26/27 Model T frames I have ever seen have the number stamped behind the front body mount, on the top of the frame on passengers side. The picture shows my frame for my 26T coupe (I blotted out some of the numbers).

Attached Files:

14. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

So if you have a 1925 with no motor ??? Then what

15. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I'd start by printing out the info on serial #'s from the T-encyclopedia as proof if needed that car had only engine number originally.

16. Hillbilly Werewolf

Hillbilly Werewolf

Find a junk motor with a number, do a vin search to make sure there is no one using it, and BAM! vin.
    File it as an abandoned vehicle and get you some title.
    It worked for my A.

17. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

good idea thanks