Register now to get rid of these ads!

What bead roller to buy? Sheetmetal guys where are ya

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PeteMattersen, Jun 11, 2008.

1. I am in the market for a bead roller for the shop. I have had some experience on a mittler bros, but have heard some negative feedback. I know i want a 36" and electric driven for sure, just wondering whats the best brand to look into? I wont do anything heavier than 18 ga for the most part.

2. Rossco

Rossco
    from SinCal

3. Rossco

Rossco
    from SinCal

Have used Fournier and Mittler's..baileigh?? < Cant remeber how they spell it, old Monarchs & Cinncinati
    Why buy what you can make?
    exspecially if your using less than 18.
    Honestly all you need is access to a lathe, they rest is parts off the shelf and some welding.

4. got a lathe, what material to make dies. Are they hardened?

5. metalshapes

metalshapes

Years ago I bought one from Mittler Bros, because that was what we had at the Shop I worked at before ( and I liked it )

Something was wrong with the one I got, and It took some messing around to find out what that was.
    ( a bolt wasn't Locktite'd down the way it was supposed to, if I remember right )
    And by the time I had found that, I had burned out the Electric Motor, because of the Extra Drag that bolt had created.
    Mittler Bros shipped me all the parts I needed to repair my Beadroller ( no cost to me, or hassle, or trying to be difficult with excuses ), and I sent them the broken parts back.
    ( Shit happens from time to time.
    The difference is how it gets handeled, if something does happen to go wrong...)

They also helped me out with a precission ground Bar they had Drop Shipped to me when I needed it in a hurry to Narrow a Morris Minor Rear Axle ( different dia than the one they normally sell for 9" Ford rears, etc...)

Dealing with these guys has been a very positive experience for me....

I'll buy from them again.

6. Rossco

Rossco
    from SinCal

Have different dies and material types for different applications..
    Stainless 410
    Aluminum 7070-T750
    High Carbon tool steel- tempered to rockwell 58 **the hard shit**

7. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

Mittler bros for sure, I've been dealing with them for a long time, quality product, and GREAT customer service.

Never had any issues with them ever!

8. Retrorod

Retrorod

I really like the one I bought from Mittler, I got the power drive unit, sure works slick. Don't bother with the louver dies unless you are building something wierd where you needed a four foot long louver in really thin material.

9. Twisted Minis

Twisted Minis

I like the kit from Pro Tools.

10. pro-tools looks nice but i want a 36 inch

11. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

They don't have to be hardened, as long as you don't drop or misuse them. If you get a nick in one, clean it up on a lathe. You'll have some profiles that you'll use all of the time, having them hardened might not be a bad thing; you decide.

12. Deuce Rails

Deuce Rails

They make O1 oil hardened tool steel in big enough diameters. Anneal it, and you can turn it in your lathe easily. Harden it, and it'll be Rockwell C 58. Temper it, and it won't shatter. Not the cheapest stuff, but ideal for this.

13. courtjester

courtjester

14. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

Funny you should ask. We just came out with one. Sounds like it would be a perfect fit. Check it out in the For Sale section.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=351438

We also have a new foot operated 6" deep throat shrinker / stretcher as well.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=351435

Maybe a new contest idea huh? :rolleyes: