Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tried out Hot Rod Flatz paint...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SwitchBlade327, Mar 3, 2007.

1. SwitchBlade327

SwitchBlade327

Working on JunkieVonJoyo's Merc Pickup, and we decided to give the Hot Rod Flatz stuff a try. I got one of the rear fenders pretty close to finished and decided to go ahead and test it out. Stuff seems like good shit to me laid down pretty nice for me. I didn't use the optional reducer since the stuff seemed pretty thin to begin with. Was concerned with how well it would cover when putting the first coat down, but the second coat covered well. Seems to be different opinions on the stuff so I figured I'd post mine. The big thing with this stuff is to shake & stir the can VERY well before you use it. The flattening agent settles into a thick chunk in the bottom of the can and if it doesn't get mixed really well it will be way shinier than you want. Anyway, picture time....

[​IMG]

This will be the only picture I post until the Roundup....trying to save it for the show.:D

harpo1313 and Cosmo49 like this.
  2. plw

plw

so what color is that?

3. JohnJoyo

JohnJoyo
    Alliance Vendor
    from Austin, TX

It's Metallic copper. The Fat Lucky's interior has some copper zodiac, so it looks awesome. I couldn't believe how well the coppers matched! I'm VERY excited...Justin is doing a great job...the taillights look KILLER:D

4. SwitchBlade327

SwitchBlade327

It's actually copper pearl :p ....and getting the other tail light to match is being a BITCH....I'm having fun though! Shouldn't you be doing some work yourself???? :p

5. Johnny Sparkle

Johnny Sparkle

Man, it must be a pain in the butt to shake the whole car like that. :p

weeniewawa likes this.
  6. plw

plw

shaking is easy but stiring is a bitch

7. AHotRod

AHotRod

Neat color.....kinda like rust-in-a-can :)

8. SwitchBlade327

SwitchBlade327

Damn typos....I fixed it outta shame.

It's a really nice color, you can't see the pearl/metallic in the picture. It's got a nice gold metallic to it...

9. squigy

squigy
    from SO.FLO.

I love that PPG shit.easy as hell to use.
    Damn man where have you been?

10. SwitchBlade327

SwitchBlade327

I've been around. I'm in Austin at least until the week after the roundup, trying to get a couple of things done for the show. I love it down here, going back to NC is gonna suck BIG time....:cool:

11. That looks great ,I have been thinking of trying some of their product were did you get it from? Does anyone know if there are any alliance vendors that carry it . Because I really want to try it now !

12. vinsanity

vinsanity
    BANNED

That color looks great! I have been wanting to paint my 52 chevy p/u "rust pearl" but now that I see THAT color thrown down on that panel ...I'm starting to second guess myself. I wonder how dark the "rust pearl" looks compared to "copper pearl"? I may have to order their color chip chart so I can compare the two a little better. The website chip examples are ok but I don't think you can get the true feel for them until you actually see the colors layed down on something. Congrats on the paint! It looks killer.

13. speedaddict

speedaddict
    from Austin, Tx

looks good justin/john....can't wait to see it in person..

14. SwitchBlade327

SwitchBlade327

Alright, since I've sprayed more of it now. Stuff works pretty good, I had a hard time getting it to lay down good but I think that had more to do with me spraying it in a small garage that wasn't real clean and without proper lighting than the paint itself. I have to spray the bed, rear fenders & running boards tomorrow. No pics until the roundup when all the upholstery & stuff is installed...

Edit-I sprayed some small parts the other night when it was pretty cool in the garage and the stuff dried really slow and came out looking almost full glass instead of flat. I'm guessing this probaly could've been avoided if I had used the optional reducer, so if any of you guys use it mind the tempurature your spraying it in.

15. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the review of their products. I'm getting ready to start on the
    Merc and I plan on using some of the Flatz stuff. It won't be ready for
    the Round up but hopefully it will be for the Stray Kat 500...

Kan't wait to check it out!!

Happy Trails,

Mick

16. Blue Jester

Blue Jester

Sweet Color Man, looks real nice

17. Fish Tank

Fish Tank

18. poorboy

poorboy

Oldmate likes this.
  19. RetroJoe

RetroJoe

Nice to know! I will be buying their stuff in about a month or two to spray the 50' with. they have a cool website as well for you guys to check out. I didn't add it to my post, so look it up on your own! I think it's www.hotrodflatz.com but could be wrong, i have made a mistake once in the past, well maybe twice!

20. jimmyv

jimmyv

Shaken not stirred.....

21. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

looks great!

I shot some and it dried fast, too fast.
    I got a buch of "tiger stripes".
    I think it was the moron behind the gun and not the paint.
    coverage was good and where it dried slower looked nice.

22. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

thats the color I'm painting my '53, I hope it looks that good when done

23. crook

crook
    from Winder,Ga

Thanks for the info, looks good, think i'm gonna' try this on my econoline soon. Toss up right now between a gold/copper color and a rose/maroon.

24. Pins&Needles

Pins&Needles
    from Santa Cruz

I sprayed the carnival red 2 weeks ago on a full job. I wasn't that happy with it... The stuff just dries too damn fast to do a whole car at once. We really had to work quick with the stuff and in the end it still layed out like crap dull and shiney spots everywhere, and we layed it down like a final coat of clear... wet as hell! My 2 cents is your better off using a $150 dollar namebrand basecoat and another 150.00 flattened clear they have in shops now, or getting ppg's LIQUID flattener which is better and less tempermental then the powdery flatener. Just my 2 cents

25. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

Anyone have pix of the completed truck?
    - Joe

26. 49Dodgeboy

49Dodgeboy

so can a novice ask a question:
    after that has been sprayed (and it looks great), do you do anything else to it? or just leave it as is?

27. Buzznut

Buzznut

QUESTION: I have Burnt Copper/Orange DuPont Chromabase paint that has Gold and Russet Red pearl added into it. I was originally going to paint my '69 Charger with it...it flops really nice once the clear coat is applied. Anyway, it's still sitting in the cans unextended and the Charger is long gone. Do you think I could simply use that stuff without the clearcoat? When I test sprayed a little bit of it it looked a lot like the fender above...and I like the way that fender looks. Would I have to seal it?

28. PoPo

PoPo

what kind of gun did you use? nozel size? pressure?

looks good too. love that color.

29. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Nope, can't. What you spray is what you get. Other than regular maintenance of a normal paint job, you're done.

Yes. Open basecoat is pourous just like primer and will allow moisture. Use a flattened clear on top of the basecoat to seal it up and keep your sheen. I'm unfamiliar with DuPont or else I'd give you better advice.

30. WHAT IT IZ

WHAT IT IZ

My buddy tried the stuff in gold and it dried up as soon as it hit the car. Looked horrible.