Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Stock-S/S-F/X 1959-1966

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Race Artist, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Parts13

Parts13
    from New Mexico

Tommy Called last night and we had a good time visiting about some old and some new subjects. He says he does feel better working. He does have a lot of knowledge and a great memory. When I mentioned the latest magazine article, I told him he might not like the pic. He asked why? I told him it looked like he got gated, his immediate response was "Butch Leal". He remembered the race and said he would never forget it.
    I am going to send him the link to this thread again and maybe we can get him on here.

Larry

2. femadman

femadman

[​IMG]
    SSDI AUG66 BONNERvsSCHELLINBURGER CECIL CO
    [​IMG]
    SSDI AUG66 CECIL CO BRANNONvsBONNER
    [​IMG]
    SSDI AUG66 TASCAvsRAMCHARGERS CECIL CO
    [​IMG]
    SSDI ?? HAYDEN PROFFITT.

3. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

I finally made it through this historic thread....amazingly no 60-61 Comets were used. Does anyone have any photos of that year as race cars? Thanks Skip.

4. Race Artist

Race Artist

Someone somewhere may have run one as a stock class car (maybe AHRA formula stock) back then but more than likely any pics of them would be as a gasser or modified production car. May be some on the Drag Cars In Motion thread? Focus here is Stock-S/S-F/X. They'd not be S/S or F/X.
    Joel

5. CWALKERSR

CWALKERSR

Man I miss the 60's please keep the memories coming

6. Race Artist

Race Artist

The accepted setup for Mopars in '63 and later was to have the rear lift. These two bucked the conventional wisdom and the HP Engineering car proved the setup worked. Looks like rear traction bars too ... ala Bill "Maverick" Golden's '63 car. Golden's setup was outlawed by the way.
    Joel

Attached Files:

7. femadman

femadman

OK haven't forgot you Mopar fans,so her's a few
    [​IMG]
    Found on the web
    [​IMG]
    JOHNNY LOOS 65PLYMOUTH CHRIS&CHAR HIRST PHOTO
    [​IMG]
    MR SILENCER 65PLYMOUT H CHRIS&CHAR HIRST PHOTO
    [​IMG]
    GROOM BROS Found on web
    [​IMG]
    KENNEDY DODGE CHARGER Found on web

8. wrench409

wrench409
    Member Emeritus
    from Here

Thanks, I appreciate it!

9. femadman

femadman

[​IMG]
    BILL HEILSHER CHRIS&CHAR HIRST PHOTO
    [​IMG]
    Found on web
    [​IMG]
    Found on web
    [​IMG]
    Found on web
    [​IMG]
    Found on web
    [​IMG]
    Found on web

10. femadman

femadman

[​IMG]
    Think got this from Drag News
    [​IMG]
    Bobby Spears Drag News
    [​IMG]
    Tommy McNeely Unk
    [​IMG]
    HOT ROD JULY90
    [​IMG]
    HOT ROD JULY90
    [​IMG]
    HOT ROD JUNE62
    [​IMG]
    HOT ROD SEPT63 AMARILLO JACK MOSS vsTOM STURM

11. femadman

femadman

[​IMG]
    HOT ROD JUNE62 PROFFITTvsRHONDA HALF MOON BAY
    [​IMG]
    HOT ROD SEPT62 MADRAS OR BILL IRELANDvsBUTCH LEAL
    [​IMG]
    SSDI JAN65 ATCO RACE RICE HOLMAN 63FORD
    [​IMG]
    SSDI OCT65 YORK RACE FASTBACKS 64FORD.

12. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Anyone want to go????

[​IMG]

13. brandon

brandon

how about just booking your own show....:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. femadman

femadman

[​IMG]
    MUSTANGS&FORDS MAR96 BFX BOB FORD 64FORD
    [​IMG]
    DRAG NEWS
    [​IMG]
    DRAG NEWS
    [​IMG]
    DRAG STRIP AUG67 67AHRA SPRING NATS

[​IMG]
    MUSTANG ILLUSTRATED OCT92 TASCA FORD 62FORD
    [​IMG]
    MUSTANGS&FORDS MAR96 AL SWENSON 63FORD

15. brandon

brandon

any info on this car....? it now belongs to a friend of mine ...it used be from detriot area ...just down the road from pro enfo back in the day ...:D brandon
    [​IMG]

16. storm king

storm king

Love those lightweight Galaxies, too! Bunches of the at the HRR this weekend; some copies and replicas most likely.
    Tired of hearing "clone" when most don't meet that description.

17. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

Does anyone know what engine was in the Mark II Chevelle posted. ?? I wonder where the name of the car came from?
    thanks
    Verne

18. 65deluxe

65deluxe

Im pretty sure it was a Z11 427. Sorry I don't have further details but Im working off of memory of an article I had read quite a while ago. The car was on the cover of High Performance Cars. Note the 65 grille on the 64 body

19. Race Artist

Race Artist

That car was one of if not THE first Chevelle to run a 396 motor in competition. It started out and ran as an A/MP car, meeting the rules of the M/P classes. I believe it was running in this configuration at the NHRA Nationals in Sept. 1964. Mark Stephans and his car were featured in a tech type article in one of the very first issues of SS&DI magazine. By the time this shot was taken at the one of the big S/S-F/X meets at York, PA (possibly the first S/S Nationals) or even a match race at York the car had a slightly altered wheelbase and I'm sure alot more than an A/MP class car. Unfortunately I never heard anything of the car or Mark Stephans after this. This shot was on the cover of one of the NY based S/S magazines as I recall.
    I suspect the name came from Mark and this being the second version of the car?
    Joel

20. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

Thanks Joel. You sure know your door-slammers!:)That's an interesting car. If he truely was in business, as the logo on the car suggests, I'd think his name would show up tied to other cars.

Verne:)

21. wally bell

wally bell
    from VA.

one of the first...........

Bob Fulp ( Slaton Shaker,Ft. Lauderdale fl.) was one of the first too.( Fulp was in York '65 S/S Nat'ls)

Seaton was the tough one.....

Mark's car looked cool......

22. Race Artist

Race Artist

Bob Fulp ran out of Slaton Chevrolet in S. FL. The car went through some changes to a more radical version than what he showed up with at York that August ... as they all did in those days. Fulp was a hot dog in S. FL in '61-2-3 and even before in CA beating Dyno Don when they both ran '59 Chevy S/S cars. An oval track writer friend in S. FL bought that Fulp/Slaton Chevelle and turned it into an oval track car in S.FL. They had bought it after a fire that Fulp had with the car.
    There's a shot of the Chevelle ... and the Thunderball Comet Wally drove at a website called The Vintage Racer. Also a group of great 1965 S/S Nationals and S/S Extravaganza shots there.
    Joel

23. wally bell

wally bell
    from VA.

Joel....You are Something !!!!

As fate would have it, At York , the promoter of Quaker City Dragway hired us ( the Comet) , and Bob Fulp for a match race 4 weeks later. The S/S Nat'ls were special in many ways........

( Fulp went on to crew chief and later drive the "Limefire" nitro F/C. )
    Bob was well known in the early days of 409's,etc. , And for his boat engine building)

24. Race Artist

Race Artist

That event was really something. I guess track promoters were there signing up races then? There is SO much history that is unrecorded. Did you beat Fulp?

I had no idea Fulp was involved in the Limefire car! After the Chevelle I'd not heard of him other than building boat engines as you've said. I'd always wondered what brought Fulp to FL from CA in '60 or '61 whenver it was. He tuned and drove what I think was the first 409 in FL drag racing back in '61. Someone name Koyobashi's (sp?) car. He cleaned up in FL with it. I'll post some clippings soon.
    Joel

25. monsterflake

monsterflake

Attached Files:

• odd.jpg
      odd.jpg
      File size:
      16.9 KB
      Views:
  26. i cant add much about the "Mark II" chevelle other than the lettering "Chambers Cams" would be Roy Chambers out of northern Va.
    i worked for Malcolm Durham at the time and recall him telling me i should buy one (a cam) from "Roy" for my 409 but i never did.

27. storm king

storm king

At the risk of much embarrasment I'm going to attempt to post a pic of my Dart. This thread started out with 'no flip top funnies or gassers'. My Dart is being built as a doorslammer funny car; sometimes back in the day, depending on whose rules you were running under; super factory experimental.
    These cars really only existed for two season, '66&'67, so they were a pretty short period of drag racing history, one I really enjoyed (must've been my formative years!). It was run what you brung at its finest. Remember folks, NHRA didn't run these cars! The best drag racing has ALWAYS come from outside the NHRA. UDRA, NASCAR, and many others as well as the outlaw tracks are where the real fun racing was being done.
    So, if this works, here's my Dart in progress...[​IMG]

28. storm king

storm king

I am a photo-posting illiterate. Sorry guys; anybody help me out here?

29. Race Artist

Race Artist

</p"] [/URL]

I agree 100% on the best racing came outside of the NHRA. Door-slammer funnies are certainly welcome! Flip-top stuff really isn't "funny car" in the true lineage and origin of the genre anyway ... right? Cars like your ex-Black Arrow and others considered F/X, NASCAR U/S, UDRA, are CERTAINLY welcome!!! As long as a car was/is based on a real car is another way to look at it and not a "hot car" class, gasser, etc. My thing was to keep away from flip-top funnies, modern stuff and non-Stk-S/S-F/X cars on this thread. They're ok but I say let's keep it focused. Too many groups and threads are all over the place in my opinion.

Scans need to be under 117KB I think. Put your scans in a file on your computer and draw from there. Hit Post Reply or quopte and you should get a window that allows you to write and attach those pictures. Use the paperclip on the toolbar to open the widow to brows and pick up your scans.

Hope this helps.
    Joel

30. storm king

storm king

here we go..

Attached Files: