Register now to get rid of these ads!

53 Ford aftermarket IFS - whose did you use? - lets see

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vendettaautofab, Jun 8, 2008.

1. vendettaautofab

vendettaautofab
    Member Emeritus

Bare with me, but I have a customer who is a local car NUT... has had dozens of restored cars. He is up in age and has a 53 Ford Convertible that he is putting together and wants to go a different route with this car, wanting updated suspension front and rear, and drivetrain.

He wants Must II and a Ford 351 and C6, 9" rear....wants to drive nationwide in comfort with the top down, I cant argue with the guy, in his 70's and had more hot rods and cool cars than I will ever have.

Did you use an aftermarket subframe? Make new front rails? or were you able to work with the stock front rails, and the buldge for the spring pockets?

Thanks and look forward to the suggestions.

2. vendettaautofab

vendettaautofab
    Member Emeritus

3. Fatman Fabrications may be able to help. They do not list anything for the 52-53 Ford models. But they may have explored the issue at some point. And they may even have what you want under development. We have used their front clips on Buicks, Hudsons, and Mercurys and they are really well done.

4. I havent seen anybody list anything for 52-54 Fords, But have seen Mercs? I would think it would be the same. Is he going Windsor or Cleveland? Jamco makes mounts. A Grananda would work for the rear. I think some had discs? I will keep an eye on this post and see what othere chime in with

5. panheadguy

panheadguy
    from S.E. WI

I just did the chassis work for a guy on a '52 Merc. We used a power steering box kit from Butch's Rod Shop (Odie's) with the stock front suspension. It seemed to work well although I had to notch the pan for the center link. I can't fathom why someone wouldn't just up date the original front suspension. Due to the bulges in the frame you would probably need to stub. If you stub you now have to remount the core support ginal spindles and I'm pretty sure fatman or somebody has lower spindles for these carswhich seriously adds to the dick'n around. There is a kit to adapt disc brakes to the original spindles. I took lots of pictures if you are interested. Panheadguy

6. panheadguy

panheadguy
    from S.E. WI

Sorry I typed over my reply

7. vendettaautofab

vendettaautofab
    Member Emeritus

Thanks...I was looking at the Jamco setup to eliminate the kingpin stock setup... as well, but thats nearly $2000.

The guy is hell bent on a must II, which is fine by me and I know where he is coming from. I will make some calls toamrrow and see whats out there from folks I buy from. The stance wont be terribly low. If I have to stub the front, its not a huge issue, and I can make a new core support mount, as its not that complicated on this 53. Just wondering what everyone has done, I would like to make the most of my time and his money.

Thanks guys, keep the comments and suggestions coming. I personally have not put a fatman under a car, but my father has, as have some friends and such, and the feelings are mixed, but it scares me to hear more negative than alot of other companys, but I will consider all my options.

I just have not tackled this particular year, and look to see what options some of you have taken.

Also, its a 351 Cleveland, from what I am told, have not seen it yet, but the clevelands are smaller head wise and such, am I correct?

8. maybe check out PROGGRESIVE AUTOMOTIVE web site.....

they have a lot of varied m2 options........and their stuff looks real good to me!

9. www.progressiveautomotive.com/

Yeah, I just looked and they cover 1949 - 54 fords....
    look at their street ride stuff....
    and as I said....their stuff looks really goooooooood!!!!!!

10. vendettaautofab

vendettaautofab
    Member Emeritus

Ahh, I see they do have one, and I looked and looked at their site... they will be on the call list tomarrow.

Thanks, Jim Weimer lists one as well, and I have seen alot of there stuff, very nice.

Progressive has been in the game for a long time... some history there with my father and his frames and chassis biz at one point.

Thanks guys

11. yeah, they have been around forever....and the TIG welds in their pictures are the cleanest and prettiest that I have seen of all the suspension makers...

I dont think I would hesitate to use their stuff....

12. krooser

krooser

Cleveland heads are wider than Windsor heads...