Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford 8.5" rear axle?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vegas, Jun 8, 2008.

1. vegas

vegas

I bought a rear axle for my Model A project that I though was a Ford 8.8 and looks like a Ford 8.8, but upon trying to install a Ford Racing pinion gear into it, I discovered it has a pinion flange that will not fit my gear. upon further examination, I also found that the pinion seal I have from my 8.8 bearing and seal kit will not fit the housing. A coworker of mine says it is a Ford 8.5 axle. Can I use the locker and gears for an 8.8 in this axle if I can find a pinion seal and flange that will work? Anybody know what seal and flange to get? Has anyone heard of this rear axle? I can't find any information on it. I put the locker in the housing and it turns fine and looks like it fits. All the bearings in my 8.8 kit have the same part # as the originals I removed from this axle. If anyone knows anything about this axle or its interchanging parts with an 8.8, please help! Any help would be appreciated!
    -Corey

Oh, and I found part # D9AW-D1A on the cast center of the housing.

2. art.resi

art.resi

7.5 ranger rear axle looks like 8.8 and some part are the same.
    8.8's were only in 4 litre ranger's and explorers as well as in mustangs
    and f150's. 7.5 inch in early 4 cyl. and small v6's 2.8 2.9 3.0.

3. vegas

vegas

It is definitely not a 7.5 axle. I am pretty familiar with 7.5 vs 8.8 due to a few o/t cars I have had. It is the same size as the 8.8 externally.

4. art.resi

art.resi

Never hear of a 8.5 ford. A 8.8 has a taller, narrower rear cover then 7.5
    and both are 10 bolt. I can't find anything with that part# either.
    Hope you figue it out.

5. pic's would help id what you have.

6. ascenttm

ascenttm
    from HERE

7. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

It`s probably a 7.5"...they use the same axle shafts as the 8.8" rears,and the same size bearings for the most part.

Gears and differentials will not interchange.

Also could be a 6.75" which came in alot of late `70`s-early`80`s cars and small pickups.

8. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

Oh yeah...FYI...the 8.8" rear did not show up until the 1986 model year. So,if it was an 8.8,it would carry an E5 prefix or higher on the part number,D9 respresents 1979.

9. Brickster

Brickster

10. Flatman

Flatman

Sounds like a WER rear end, 8.75, looks just like an 8.8. Came in lotsa mid sized cars in the late seventies (Granada, Monarch, etc...)
    No tag on the cover?

Flatman

11. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

You mean 6.75".........

12. Flatman

Flatman

No, I mean 8.75". WER rear ends all came in 8.75" except for WER-C and WER-E which were 8.5" and came in '67-'69 passenger cars. All had non-removable carriers. The diff code tag will say 8.7 on the lower line.

Flatman

13. fast Ed

fast Ed

There was an 8.5" used in 79 - 82 full size LTD / Crown Victoria / Marquis (first of the "downsized" full size Fords). Took the same ring & pinion set as the 8.8". When I'm back to work on Monday I'll look up a pinion seal number for you.

D9AW = 79 LTD / Crown Vic

cheers
    Ed N.

14. vegas

vegas

Thanks Fast Ed, I think you figured it out. Thanks everyone else for helping too! Fast Ed, the pinion seal I need would have to work with a newer 8.8 (Mustang?) pinion flange, and this 8.5 housing as the 8.8 pinion gear I have won't fit the original flange from this axle. Using the original gears is out of the question because the axle was full of water when I opened it up, and the gears and bearings were rusted beyond use. Thanks again for the help!
    -Corey

15. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

Go find a rear axle out of a first-generation Explorer.They aren`t too wide,have the common 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern,still had drums on the first-generation ones,have a 31-spine diff/axles,some had posi,and you can find them with 3.27,3.55,3.73,and 4.10 gear ratios fairly easily. The second-generation ones were the same,but with disc brakes.

16. fast Ed

fast Ed

Corey, from what I can see listed for those LTDs, the pinion seal should be the same for 8.5" and 8.8". Latest Ford OEM number is F89Z 4676 AA, for reference.

The pinion flange is listed by the axle tag code, which you probably don't have any more. It would start with WFZ-** or WGY-**. It looks like some of the 8.5" had the same flange as the 8.8", and some were different. The one that is shared between them is Ford OEM number E9SZ 4851 A. I'm speculating that you currently have the flange that was not used on the 8.8". If you can find any kind of I.D. numbers on the flange you have now, post them here or send me a p.m., I'll see what I can tell you from that.

cheers
    Ed N.

17. vegas

vegas

Thanks Fast Ed! You were correct, I just set everything up yesterday with my 8.8 locker, gears, an 8.8 pinion seal, and flange. It all fits! Thanks again!
    -Corey

18. fast Ed

fast Ed

Glad to hear that it went together OK. :)

cheers
    Ed N.