Register now to get rid of these ads!

vintage boats,who alls got em

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by hvychvy, Feb 1, 2007.

1. Hounds2run

Hounds2run
    from ohio

Gulfwarsubvet,

Thanks for the lesson in protocol. You're right that posting was out of line. I'm not here just to search for a boat but the previous couple of posting with the Volks boat brought back memories of the boat my grandfather had. Just couldn't stop myself from posting without thinking first. I'm a Federal Officer from Ann Arbor Michigan who grew up on Fords. Currently I'm restoring a 1938 Chevy coupe with my neighbor who frequents this site. He suggested I log in and check it out.

KJ

2. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

This baby is sweet. Love that engine. No hiding the parts. Something breaks, you can see it right away. Cool! The motor looks in pretty good shape.

Mark Hinds likes this.
  3. docauto

docauto
    from So Cal

gotta love an Curtiss OX-5

4. ibcalaveras

ibcalaveras

I have a 16 foot 1956 Crooks built from plans with a fresh 1957 272 Y block in it. Hope to finish the rest some day...

5. Killer

Killer

newest one...

78 Pantera... Connely hull, spectre deck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

468, turbo 400, champion v drive.

the engine is apart right now... put a hole in #8 piston...

back on the water in a couple weeks.

man.. that sucker was dirty in those pics!

6. seret

seret

This is a shot of my friend Ralf and the 1961 national champion hydro “Honey Bear” he restored, it’s a poor shot, but look for it in Hop Up sometime soon, .[​IMG]

7. LastMinuteMark

LastMinuteMark
    from So. Cal.

real cool boats in this thread.........heres my 1968 Schiada jet boat, was on lake martinez
    before i bought it, i've taken it to lake mead, where the pic was taken, lake havasu,
    the strip and blythe river......hopefully more next year...with a new bbc chevy motor......:)

Attached Files:

8. 4bangerNick

4bangerNick

9. 12packo94s

12packo94s

Me and my dad have been getting into late 60's GW Invader 10' footers. I have a 69 that's just ready for paint and have a 68 mercury 50hp for that one. He has a 68 that has the paint and interior done we are just waiting for the 68 35hp to come back from being gone through. We also have a third one that's in pretty rough shape but will end up being for my wife and my mom to put around in,, i'm thinking it will prolly get a 15-20hp when the time comes.

We're looking pretty forward to getting them done,,, i wanna see how bad mine will scare the crap out of me with the 50hp.

10. primed55

primed55

11. LastMinuteMark

LastMinuteMark
    from So. Cal.

12. 4bangerNick

4bangerNick

13. Sailor

Sailor

Here is mine. 91' freighter built in 1915 as a dutch sailingvessel.

[​IMG]

14. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

Cool...I had a 10' GW Invader with a 50 Merc back around '68 or '69...it had a red deck with white stripes. Yours is going to go like hell! I know I sure had a ball with mine, but a lot of the other kids parents wouldn't let them go in it after a while of racin around. What a fun boat that was. Do you have any pics?

15. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My great-grandfather bought her new for my grandfather. Been in the family since the day she was bought in 1924 from the Fellows and Stewart yard in San Diego. Oddly efficient, she burns 3 gallons an hour at 7 knots. Been docked at the San Diego Yacht club her entire life. Regrettably an unaffordable luxury and is for sale. If someone is interested let me know.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. gmgrunt

gmgrunt

Hey CLASSICFINS..... what make is the white/pink boat with the cool headlights?

17. primed55

primed55

unaffordable luxury! thats your heritage, sell everything else you own and just sail that thing around the world!!!

18. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

it is going to sound aloof and possibly cold, but it is possible to have to much.

Been dealing with the passing of the family patriarch and soon the matriarch, there is so much stuff and the taxes take almost all of it. And when you are done, where do you store 15 cars? let alone a boat where the slip fees are 500.00 per month plus membership to go to a place where I don't like anyone. Maintenance on a real wooden boat is not cheap: a haul out every 2 years is 20 large. If you use it all the time it would be great, but 10 times a year means operational cost is about 1,600 a shot...with out going anywhere. And you thought driving a blown hemi at 2 miles to the gallon was expensive

I have been around that boat since i was born, and hate to see it go. It is heritage, but I barely have time to deal with my own problems, and no else in my family cares one way or the other, they just want the money. so you make the call to save what you can and enjoy the memories of the rest.

19. docauto

docauto
    from So Cal

here's a link to one I sold,I was lucky to get $3k for it. Maintanence and slip fees are killer. It was fun for the summer though.

http://s134.photobucket.com/albums/q91/autodoc/?action=view&current=daveboat.flv

20. alsancle

alsancle

It sucks but I understand. Most people don't have any clue what estate taxes can do to family heirlooms passed down from generation to generation, not to mention what happens to the family business.

21. 12packo94s

12packo94s

I don't have any pics right now,,,,, but i'll get some.
    Dad's is white with orange and red stripes and HEAVY flake. Mine doens't look like much right now since it all sanded down ready for primer. Mines gonna be silber with blue and white stripes and again very heavy flake.

22. primed55

primed55

I guess i've just been watching Captain Ron too much.
    [​IMG]

23. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

it beats me how narrow minded family can get when they just see the money right now and forget about the long term. There is property that has been on the family books generating revenue for 100 years. It has been carefully sheltered and passed down. A real live depreciated asset that generates real revenue: 0.80 on the dollar! Rather than try to divide everything up, which definately would not give a really large sum up front, but in terms of long term value it is an impossible investment to beat. They want to pile it all together and split. The tax man comes out great and the family gets f-ed.

24. roverjohn

roverjohn

Currently rebuilding a '59 RaysonCraft Model 18. Was going to sell the 300 Buick I recently found but it will now likely go into this boat.

alsancle, These guys may be able to ID your "dodge"
    http://www.vintageraceboatshop.com/

25. roverjohn

roverjohn

Looks SBC to me.

26. If you are in So Cal, there is an Antique and Wooden Boat Show in Lake Arrowhead this weekend - June 7-8

27. I HAVE A WOODY - AWESOME BOAT MAN!!!!!!!! NICE WORK. I LOVE THE PANEL PAINT - Is someone actually supposed to sit facing the motor like that.

THis is a cool post.

28. Buzznut

Buzznut

We inherited a '57 Philbrick 318 powered mahogony boat from my grandfather when he passed away. he bought it new and had it customized so that the center transom was open and you could walk from the drivers area to the back. It's a beautiful boat but needs maintenance like any other Mahogany boat does... 3K to 5K to refinish every 3 to 5 years depending on usage and time in the water and/or sun.

I learned how to ski behind it as a child at 5 years old. So did my mother and all her younger sisters. I remember sitting on my dads and my grandfathers shoulders while they were skiing behind this thing, and at times that stout 318 Poly would tow ALL 7 sisters on skiis at the same time...it was a blast! Every summer at Lake Don Pedro in Turlock CA from birth to about age 12. My grandfather is gone now and so is my dear father...just writing this makes me tear up a bit thinking about the times we had...the good old days.

I VERY much want to keep this boat but everyone else wants the money, and since it's estimated value is around 20K, I can't afford to buy them out. It will never again come back around and I'll miss it...

This isn't our boat, I don't have any pictures of it handy right now, but this is the exact boat minus the center transom. Our boat is called "Cece's Weekender"...after my youngest aunt Cece's predisposition to asking her father (my grandpa Bill - who I'm named ater) "can we go out on the boat this weekend dad" ever since she was a tiny little toddler...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. Buzznut

Buzznut

Very cool interior...
    [​IMG]