Register now to get rid of these ads!

DeSoto Steering Wheel Refinished....Pics inside.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BloodyKnuckles, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Our '54 DeSoto had a horrible steering wheel that was cracked with pieces missing. Someone tried to repair it at one time and did a shitty job. It STUNK!!! When I say it Stunk it was so bad that you could smell it outside of the car.
    A good friend of mine builds hot rods and restores cars. His wife is just as involved and she's the one who did the work. What an amazing job.
    The finish is a pearl with a slight hint of blue.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I couldn't be much happier and my wife loves her new steering wheel.

BloodyKnuckles

Last edited: Dec 24, 2008
  2. hemifarris

hemifarris

Nice job...It's cool that your friend's wife did the repairs.......

3. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

That came out sweet.

4. Two-Gun Bob

Two-Gun Bob

Looks like a new steering wheel! I need to repair my Mercury accessory steering wheel and sure don't want to have to pay to have it recast if I can help it (I've heard people mention that it's about $800 to get it done!). What method and materials did your friend's wife use to do such an amazing job on your Desoto wheel?

5. Nice job! My 50 Hudson has an ivory wheel that looks like its made of the same material and it too just reeks! In fact we came up with the term "Hot Buttered A**" to describe it. Looks like there is hope for my wheel yet, did the smell go away once it was painted?

6. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

If she's not offering this service to the general public she should consider doing so. I'm betting she would be very busy if her fee is reasonable.

Frank

7. fifty8

fifty8

Looks great. You coming to the BBQ this Sat?

8. Squablow

Squablow

My '54 DeSoto had a wasted steering wheel in it too, I don't know what it is about those but they just fell apart after a few years.

I plan to find a wheel of the same diameter, cut the outer hoop off and weld it to the spokes, then fill it all in with JB weld or something similar. I've done it once before and it works fairly decent. What body style is your '54?

9. chopper99

chopper99
    Member Emeritus

Looks great. I've done a few steering wheels myself, to me, a steering wheel is one of the hardest things to paint. What is the red stuff she used for the repairs?

10. The red shit is from the original "repair" that was done many years ago but it was never finished and cracked. That was part of the foul smell.

Heres a pic for Squablow;

[​IMG]

Thanks for all the nice comments. I'll be sure to tell her.

BTW...I'll be at Pucketts on Saturday.

BloodyKnuckles

11. DHI442

DHI442

I need my wheel redone. It's the same one but it basically has no plastic. There's no way I can pay hundreds to have it done. I'm gonna try to do something myself. I'd be happy if it came out half that nice.

12. Nice job. Did the smell go away?

13. Nice job !! I love restoring old steering wheels !!

Rat

14. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

15. Ron Rules! And so does Heathers new wheel. I didn't know that was auto....