Register now to get rid of these ads!

Gaser Builders Beware

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tinyt869, Jun 3, 2008.

1. tinyt869

tinyt869

heu guys
    well it finally stopped raining enough here today to work on my 55 chevy> Had a freind come ove who is a ex MO highway partol man ask in if i was going to run a front bumper on my car.
    Told him no and asked why in infromed me that in the state of MO ALL passenger vechiles must have a front bumper to pass MVI and also that my front bumper CANNOT be any higher than 22 inches of the ground to the top. My car is far from down but find this out to may put it on hold or i just might have to run it on the strip only
    SO when you start planning and build your ride check with your state laws first:mad:

2. Local MTO guy told me I could run a round tube steel bumper with tow bar brackets on it. It doesn,t have to be the original as long as it has one he told me.I like this guy......

3. Bumpstick

Bumpstick

Uh, Gassers weren't ever meant to be on the street. Sorry.-stick

4. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

I have seen a whole lot of lifted trucks in MO that clear 30+'' at the front bumper.

5. Big Dad

Big Dad

Just make a quick-tatch bumper to take on and off when you are having to be legal

No biggie

6. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

Cars in ALL states require bumpers front & rear if originally equiped.

If you let that lil snag Stop your build i dunno what to say..

Here in CA there is a headlight hight, Bumper law, Tires covered law, Decible limit, No slicks law and who knows how many other laws my Gasser build has already broken.

But its only Illeagle when ya get pulled over for it :D

7. tinyt869

tinyt869

oh this lil snag isnt going to stop my build at all some how and some way it will be on the street
    GV as far as the 30 inch bumpers on lifted 4x4 the go by GVW on trucks here in MO and i know it Kansas you can go as high as 6 ft with your headlights

8. InjectorTim

InjectorTim

Dragsters, altereds, and competition coupes maybe, but the gas classes, in the early years and in the later years for many small time guys were all about street driven cars.

9. The Shocker

The Shocker

The best thing to do is to find an inspection guy that hates bullshit state laws and likes hotrods and get in good with them.Thats what i do and i get inspections with open headers no problem.

10. Most the law around here don't fuck with our style cars too much. Young kid with bad haircut, and late model car with trash can exhaust tip=busted

11. Roothawg

Roothawg

We've had that law on the books for years. You're not suppose to alter the exhaust either.

12. Ford Freak

Ford Freak

:confused:????? Uh, they had to have all street equipment ( wipers, lights, horn ,etc.) and whatever else was required to be registered at the time. They didn't have to be registered, or inspected, but one requirement was that they could be. (except for slicks,and open headers)
    Origanally, the class allowed a number of mods to street cars. They had to run on gasoline. On a national level, they were mostly towed to the track. However, on a local level, at small hometown strips all across America, many were driven to the track, raced, and driven back home. Some were then driven to work on Monday morning!

Not all were like the Mazmanian, SWC, & Jim Zakia cars.

There were many lower gas classes w/cars that prolly were not meant to be driven on the street, but they were.

No need to be sorry, Bumpstick.

It was a beautiful sight to see then, and it still is today!!:D

Thats how I remember it anyways.

13. The Shocker

The Shocker

Your right about the dual purpose gassers doubling as daily drivers in the old days.My late father used to tell me the same thing about alot of the gassers he saw at the strip in the 60's being driven all week and to the track and back home ...

14. scr8p

scr8p

my dad took the bumper deal into consideration when he was making the 2x4 frame rails for his 55. he welded nuts inside the rails in the same location as the stock rails. that way if there was ever an issue, he could easily put a bumper on it, get it inspected, go back home, and take it back off. ;)

15. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

I haven't had front or rear bumpers on my 55 since it hit the road and haven't had any hassles for it for 2 years. I also understand that since I did tunnelram and streetscoop that I don't have to run a hood either as far as I know. Shit and thats in NY where they seem to like to screw with everybody.

16. Bigabone

Bigabone

In the state of Mo. If you run historic vehicle plates your car does not need an MVI. With the historic plates you are limited to I beleive 3000 miles a year but dosent have to conform to any MVI regulations.

17. i never woulda thought......usually its the lifted up trucks on 49's that get hasseled, but even here in fl, trucks that have 25 inches of lift up on 54 inch tall military tires still never get pulled, we have headlight and bumper hight laws but they rarely ever pull anyone...

18. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

In my town its illegal to change your own oil or perform any repairs on your car if you do not have commercially or industrially zoned property. That translates to someone, somewhere pissed a legislature folk off and this was the result of a land battle or some odd crap.

I have had cars completely apart in my driveway going through various changes and the neighbors think its cool. I also have one of the nicest lawns on the block and keep the place looking nice. That translates to...don't give people a reason to use heinous laws against you and they might not.

Your friend was trying to be helpful, no doubt, but Ive noticed that the people that get into trouble with old cars or working on them 99% of the time were asking for it.

19. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

similar laws here for the antique tags but i have been driving my car everyday for the past 20 years with the same tags and never had a problem one. the funny thing is i drove one car with antique tags i bought at a flea market for a $1 for years till i sold it. and i was pulled over in that car a few times and never got a ticket.

now thats what i call being lucky as heck!!

20. 1rustyhighcab

1rustyhighcab

this is why I love having an inspectors license here in MO. somehow all of my stuff always passes. lol

21. tinyt869

tinyt869

hell rusty i ll just bring my car and a case of beer to you then to inspect its what about 3 hr road trip to Jeff City from St Joe LOL

22. autobilly

autobilly

It's pretty much the same here. In my experiance a well presented and soundly engineerd vehicle driven safely (at least when they're lookin') doesn't get hassled, providing you can get rego to start with.
    "They" are rite onto young guys in imports though. It's like old Harlys, they used to be considerd jail bait, but now everyone wants one.

23. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

x2

I got let off the hook by a *Burbank* cop that could've thrownthe book at me if he'd wanted.

I guarantee if I was in a ricer I would've been in deep trouble.